    Email client is netscape, but I also would like to know if it's possible
    with thunderbird.

    TIA

    Kai Teke, Mar 5, 2007

  2. Kai Teke

    Fred Dagg Guest

    On Tue, 06 Mar 2007 10:55:43 +1100, Kai Teke <>
    exclaimed:

    >Work mate is going on holiday for a week later this month.
    >They would like to know if there's a way to auto reply to email's,
    >saying that they are away and won't be back until a certain date ?
    >Email client is netscape, but I also would like to know if it's possible
    >with thunderbird.

    A word of warning, you should NOT do this via a simple mail rule, as
    it's important that the "Vacation Message" only replies to the FIRST
    email received from a particular address.

    I know of someone else who didn't use Outlook's proper Vacation
    Message and instead set up a simple rule. All well and good, until he
    replied to another person who had done the same. Who replied back. Who
    he replied to. Who replied back.

    When he got back, he had over 20,000 emails from this person, and it
    only stopped them because the client the other person was using
    crapped out.

    --

    Stupidest Comment of the Year Award:

    "People should take responsibility for their actions"

    - (Leftist) Matty F (7/1/2007), when explaining it was actually the quadbiker's
    fault that he was brutally murdered by Graeme Burton. According to Matty F,
    it was his fault that he was in the wrong place at the wrong time...

    Best Rant of the Year Award:

    "Interesting to see the Green bastard even at a supermarket shopping, instead
    of living off the land growing his own food. At least he's helped to keep the
    cogs and polution of industry going by shopping at supermarkets which sell
    products from large filthy factories [that] use stinking diesel trucks
    polluting the damn countryside just to get the goods to Nandor's favourite
    supermarket. Well done Nandor you two faced tax paid good for nothing bastard"

    - E. Scrooge (1/3/2007), a little unhappy about the Green's proposal to ban
    supermarket bags...

    Fred Dagg, Mar 6, 2007

  3. Kai Teke

    SteveM Guest

    Kai Teke <> wrote in

    > Work mate is going on holiday for a week later this month.
    > They would like to know if there's a way to auto reply to email's,
    > saying that they are away and won't be back until a certain date ?
    > Email client is netscape, but I also would like to know if it's possible
    > with thunderbird.
    >
    > TIA

    Perhaps your friends ISP's webmail will do this. (Not all do though)

    SteveM

    SteveM, Mar 6, 2007
  4. Kai Teke

    Malcolm Guest

    Kai Teke <> wrote:

    > Work mate is going on holiday for a week later this month.
    > They would like to know if there's a way to auto reply to email's,
    > saying that they are away and won't be back until a certain date ?
    > Email client is netscape, but I also would like to know if it's
    > possible with thunderbird.
    >
    > TIA

    Hi
    A vacation message may be able to be set via the ISP's webmail
    interface.

    --
    Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
    SLED 10.0 x86_64 Kernel 2.6.16.27-0.9-smp

    Malcolm, Mar 6, 2007
  5. Kai Teke

    Rob Guest

    "Kai Teke" <> wrote in message
    > Work mate is going on holiday for a week later this month.
    > They would like to know if there's a way to auto reply to email's, saying
    > that they are away and won't be back until a certain date ?
    > Email client is netscape, but I also would like to know if it's possible
    > with thunderbird.
    >
    > TIA

    It really depends on who the email provider is. If it is a domain based
    email account, they should be able to set this up easily in their web hosts
    control panel, under autoresponders.

    Rob, Mar 6, 2007
  6. Kai Teke wrote:
    > Work mate is going on holiday for a week later this month.
    > They would like to know if there's a way to auto reply to email's,
    > saying that they are away and won't be back until a certain date ?
    > Email client is netscape, but I also would like to know if it's possible
    > with thunderbird.
    >
    > TIA

    If you are subscribed to any mailing lists you should make sure that the
    message doesn't go to them. Lot's of people get grumpy.

    From a customer relations point of view I'd forward the emails to another staff
    member who could exercise discretion and intelligence in deciding whether and
    how to reply. You never know, there may actually be stuff there that is
    important in some way to the business.

    Mark Robinson, Mar 6, 2007
  7. Kai Teke

    Kai Teke Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:
    > Kai Teke wrote:
    >> Work mate is going on holiday for a week later this month.
    >> They would like to know if there's a way to auto reply to email's,
    >> saying that they are away and won't be back until a certain date ?
    >> Email client is netscape, but I also would like to know if it's possible
    >> with thunderbird.
    >>
    >> TIA

    > If you are subscribed to any mailing lists you should make sure that the
    > message doesn't go to them. Lot's of people get grumpy.
    >
    > From a customer relations point of view I'd forward the emails to another staff
    > member who could exercise discretion and intelligence in deciding whether and
    > how to reply. You never know, there may actually be stuff there that is
    > important in some way to the business.

    There is, Mark.
    Thanks for the info, everyone included.
    ISP has been notified and they are going to take care of it.
    Much appreciated for all the responses :)

    Kai Teke, Mar 6, 2007

  8. >
    > There is, Mark.
    > Thanks for the info, everyone included.
    > ISP has been notified and they are going to take care of it.
    > Much appreciated for all the responses :)

    Lets hope they dont respond to spam...

    Andrew Lambert, Mar 6, 2007
  9. Kai Teke

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Fred Dagg <> wrote in

    > When he got back, he had over 20,000 emails from this person, and it
    > only stopped them because the client the other person was using
    > crapped out.

    I guess the server at his end hadn't crashed yet.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 6, 2007