    option with Vista.) and I still get Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 Photo
    Downloader rushing to download my photos. How can I stop all of this
    "help"?

    Ed Mullikin, Apr 24, 2008

  2. "Ed Mullikin" <> wrote:
    >Everytime I plug a compact flash card (or memory stick) into my computer I
    >get programs that rush to help me and I don't want help! I have my Autoplay
    >settings ALL on "Ask me every time" ("Take no action" seems to be not an
    >option with Vista.) and I still get Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 Photo
    >Downloader rushing to download my photos. How can I stop all of this
    >"help"?

    This time it has nothing to do with AutoPlay.
    When installing Adobe PSE it placed a deamon in the system tray. This
    daemon checks for new memory cards with photos and if it finds those it
    will launch PSE.
    Disable/close/exit that deamon and PSE will keep quiet.

    To stop PSE from starting that deamon every time you log on go to
    Edit -> Preference -> Camera or Card Reader -> Download Options and
    disable "Auto Launch Adobe Photo Downloader on Device Connect"

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Apr 24, 2008

  3. Ed Mullikin

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    "Jürgen Exner" <> wrote in message
    > "Ed Mullikin" <> wrote:
    >>Everytime I plug a compact flash card (or memory stick) into my computer I
    >>get programs that rush to help me and I don't want help! I have my
    >>Autoplay
    >>settings ALL on "Ask me every time" ("Take no action" seems to be not an
    >>option with Vista.) and I still get Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0 Photo
    >>Downloader rushing to download my photos. How can I stop all of this
    >>"help"?

    > This time it has nothing to do with AutoPlay.
    > When installing Adobe PSE it placed a deamon in the system tray. This
    > daemon checks for new memory cards with photos and if it finds those it
    > will launch PSE.
    > Disable/close/exit that deamon and PSE will keep quiet.
    >
    > To stop PSE from starting that deamon every time you log on go to
    > Edit -> Preference -> Camera or Card Reader -> Download Options and
    > disable "Auto Launch Adobe Photo Downloader on Device Connect"
    >
    > jue

    Thank you! That appears to have solved my vexing problem.

    Ed Mullikin, Apr 24, 2008
  4. Paul Allen wrote:
    []
    > This is what I've come to expect from Linux. It's easy,
    > intuitive, and reliable. I don't ever have to post questions
    > on Usenet asking where to find the checkbox that turns an
    > annoying feature off.
    >
    > Paul Allen

    Not needing to ask questions may say more about you as a computer literate
    user, than about the OS as such! <G>

    David

    David J Taylor, Apr 25, 2008
  5. Paul Allen <> wrote:
    >This is what I've come to expect from Linux. It's easy,
    >intuitive, and reliable. I don't ever have to post questions
    >on Usenet asking where to find the checkbox that turns an
    >annoying feature off.

    Do you honestly believe that in a Linux version of Adobe Photoshop that
    check box would be in a different place than in the Windows version?

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Apr 25, 2008
  6. ? "Ed Mullikin" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > Everytime I plug a compact flash card (or memory stick) into my computer I
    > get programs that rush to help me and I don't want help! I have my
    > Autoplay settings ALL on "Ask me every time" ("Take no action" seems to be
    > not an option with Vista.) and I still get Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0
    > Photo Downloader rushing to download my photos. How can I stop all of
    > this "help"?

    Go to "run", type "msconfig", then go to "startup" in the window that pops
    up. I have disabled everything, except the language tool bar, the icon that
    disconnects usb devices, the speaker icon, and DSL connection icon (in the
    taskbar). I did that since my celeron 433, and increases performance. I have
    win XP greek, core 2 duo 2.66, 1 GB, asus ATI 2600 512 MB, 320 GB Hitach
    deskstar, and I'm saving up for a LSD flat panel:)

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Apr 25, 2008
  7. Ed Mullikin

    John Guest

    "Cynicor" <> wrote in message
    > Paul Allen wrote:

    >>> Do you honestly believe that in a Linux version of Adobe Photoshop that
    >>> check box would be in a different place than in the Windows version?

    >> What an odd thing to ask. Who said anything about a Linux version
    >> of Photoshop?
    >>
    >> One answer is that Windows software generally *is* confusing. The
    >> possibility of a Linux port of Photoshop that puts things in different
    >> places than the Windows version is not that much of a stretch.

    > (snort) And Linux programs also just SMELL better, usually like Damask
    > roses. And when you hit F6, actual dollar bills start pouring out of the
    > back of your keyboard...with Linux. Also, using Linux will get you a date
    > with a supermodel.

    What is the program called in Linux? Is it really any good?

    John.

    John, Apr 26, 2008
  8. Paul Allen <> wrote:
    >On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 17:22:07 +0000, Jürgen Exner wrote:
    >
    >> Paul Allen <> wrote:
    >>>This is what I've come to expect from Linux. It's easy, intuitive, and
    >>>reliable. I don't ever have to post questions on Usenet asking where to
    >>>find the checkbox that turns an annoying feature off.

    >> Do you honestly believe that in a Linux version of Adobe Photoshop that
    >> check box would be in a different place than in the Windows version?

    >What an odd thing to ask. Who said anything about a Linux version
    >of Photoshop?

    The OP didn't know how to disable the "Auto Launch Adobe Photo
    Downloader". It was _YOU_ who replied it would be easier on Linux.

    Linux may or may not be easy, intuitive, reliable and save the world
    from hunger. However it would not have solved the OP's problem, even if
    there were a Linux version of PS.

    [Rest of ranting snipped because vastly OT]

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Apr 26, 2008
  9. Ed Mullikin

    Dave Guest

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:

    ...... and I'm saving up for a LSD flat panel:)

    Now,one of those would really make your photo's colors pop....

    Dave

    Dave, Apr 26, 2008
  10. Ed Mullikin

    John Turco Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Ed Mullikin wrote:
    > > Everytime I plug a compact flash card (or memory stick) into my computer
    > > I get programs that rush to help me and I don't want help! I have my
    > > Autoplay settings ALL on "Ask me every time" ("Take no action" seems to
    > > be not an option with Vista.) and I still get Adobe Photoshop Elements
    > > 5.0 Photo Downloader rushing to download my photos. How can I stop all
    > > of this "help"?

    > Usually, there are 'services' which do this monitoring of activity, and
    > you can set them to not load automatically. (disable). Access the
    > control panel, and find services under system.

    Hello, Ron:

    Damn it! There's no "Services" tab, on my own Control Panel\System. (Windows
    XP Home, SP2.)

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Apr 27, 2008
  11. Ed Mullikin

    Joe Makowiec Guest

    Joe Makowiec, Apr 27, 2008
  12. ? "Dave" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    > Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
    >

    > ..... and I'm saving up for a LSD flat panel:)
    >>

    > Now,one of those would really make your photo's colors pop....

    Thanks to my godmother I'll have one on my desk in a few days:) It's a
    custom in Greece to make presents in Easter, the orthodox Easter is today.

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Apr 27, 2008
  13. "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <> wrote:
    >? "Dave" <> ?????? ??? ??????
    >> Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
    >> ..... and I'm saving up for a LSD flat panel:)
    >>
    >> Now,one of those would really make your photo's colors pop....
    >>

    >Thanks to my godmother I'll have one on my desk in a few days:)

    I very, very strongly doubt that :).
    Read again -carefully- what you wrote above.

    jue

    PS: if you still don't see it, please check out
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lsd

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Apr 27, 2008
  14. Ed Mullikin

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Paul Allen
    <> wrote:

    > > If Linux works well for you, and you like it, great! However, it is not
    > > the solution for most of us.

    > Actually, it is the way out for all of us. You may choose not to see,
    > if you must.

    the way out of what?

    nospam, Apr 27, 2008
  15. nospam wrote:

    > In article <>, Paul Allen
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> > If Linux works well for you, and you like it, great! However, it is
    >> > not the solution for most of us.

    >> Actually, it is the way out for all of us. You may choose not to see,
    >> if you must.

    > the way out of what?

    Cleveland.

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Apr 27, 2008
  16. Ed Mullikin

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Paul Allen
    <> wrote:

    > Let's see. Vendors of image editing software must each implement this
    > feature themselves because the platform they run on provides no central
    > mechanism.

    on the mac there's a central mechanism.

    > Many Photoshop plugins work fine with the GIMP under Linux
    > because vendors must write their own low-level graphics code rather than
    > rely on the platform's native libraries.

    no, *some* photoshop plug-ins (filter plug-ins, in particular) work in
    the gimp because the photoshop host api is implemented as a gimp
    plug-in.

    there are plenty of other photoshop plug-ins, including image stack,
    automate, selection, colour picker, format, import and export plugins
    that do not work in the gimp. also, i doubt that recent photoshop
    filter plug-ins will work properly, as adobe has added quite a bit to
    the api in recent years.

    furthermore, photoshop plug-ins do not need to implement their own low
    level graphics code. plug-ins can use photoshop itself (via callbacks)
    or the host platform's libraries (either mac or pc) to do whatever is
    needed. one drawback to using the platform libraries directly is that
    two separate versions will be needed for a cross platform plug-in,
    whereas if one uses photoshop's callbacks (or platform neutral code),
    only one implementation is required.

    nospam, Apr 27, 2008
  17. Ed Mullikin

    nospam Guest

    In article <>, Paul Allen
    <> wrote:

    > >> Many Photoshop plugins work fine with the GIMP under Linux because
    > >> vendors must write their own low-level graphics code rather than rely
    > >> on the platform's native libraries.

    > > no, *some* photoshop plug-ins (filter plug-ins, in particular) work in
    > > the gimp because the photoshop host api is implemented as a gimp
    > > plug-in.

    > Why the rush to say, "No," when you're actually agreeing with me?

    i'm pointing out that only some plug-ins work but not for the reasons
    you stated.

    > The pspi.exe GIMP plug-in for Windows lets you run Photoshop plug-ins
    > in the GIMP. You can get pspi.exe to run under Linux using WINE.
    > Many Photoshop plug-ins work fine with the GIMP under Linux because
    > they use their own graphics libraries rather than relying on some
    > external library that might not be present or might not work under
    > WINE.

    plug-ins generally contain all the code they need without requiring
    external libraries, or they call back into photoshop for whatever
    service is required. one example is drawing to screen, where photoshop
    does the resizing, colour profile matching, bounds clipping, etc.

    some plug-ins might make use of platform specific routines, but that's
    generally the exception since it doubles the work needed for a
    cross-platform plug-in. if it calls an external library (which would
    be even more unusual), there would need to be two such libraries, one
    for mac and one for windows. by sticking to photoshop apis, plug-ins
    are for all intents, automatically cross-platform, with almost no extra
    effort.

    > > there are plenty of other photoshop plug-ins, including image stack,
    > > automate, selection, colour picker, format, import and export plugins
    > > that do not work in the gimp. also, i doubt that recent photoshop
    > > filter plug-ins will work properly, as adobe has added quite a bit to
    > > the api in recent years.

    > There are certainly plenty of Photoshop plug-ins that don't work
    > with the GIMP under Linux. And, it may be that Adobe has thrown
    > a wrench into the works by changing the API. These are some of
    > the risks of letting yourself get locked into proprietary software.

    what's proprietary about it? the photoshop api is public and anyone
    can get it and write photoshop plug-ins.

    adobe has not changed the api, but they've added a lot to it with every
    release of photoshop, and recent plug-ins use the new features. for
    instance, cs3 now supports smart filters (non-destructive filters), and
    if a filter plug-in supports that, it too can be non-destructive. i'd
    rather benefit from the improvements than have it stagnate.

    > > furthermore, photoshop plug-ins do not need to implement their own low
    > > level graphics code. plug-ins can use photoshop itself (via callbacks)
    > > or the host platform's libraries (either mac or pc) to do whatever is
    > > needed. one drawback to using the platform libraries directly is that
    > > two separate versions will be needed for a cross platform plug-in,
    > > whereas if one uses photoshop's callbacks (or platform neutral code),
    > > only one implementation is required.

    > Ummm, yeah. Having Photoshop libraries available implies having
    > Photoshop installed, which is not currently possible under Linux.

    not being able to run photoshop is definitely a drawback.

    > Of course, many things would work better if vendors used cross-
    > platform libraries like the GIMP's gtk+. See my earlier comment
    > about the risks of getting locked into proprietary software.

    as i said before, the photoshop api is available to anyone and the
    plug-ins are generally a combination of platform neutral code and
    callbacks into photoshop. it's very easy to make a plug-in cross
    platform.

    nospam, Apr 28, 2008
  18. Ed Mullikin

    John Turco Guest

    Joe Makowiec wrote:

    > On 27 Apr 2008 in rec.photo.digital, John Turco wrote:
    >
    > > Damn it! There's no "Services" tab, on my own Control Panel\System.
    > > (Windows XP Home, SP2.)

    > XP, Classic view of the control panel, it's under 'Administrative Tools'

    Hello, Joe:

    I found it, thank you. (Did me no good, alas.)

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, May 4, 2008
  19. Ed Mullikin

    John Turco Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > John Turco wrote:
    > > Ron Hunter wrote:
    > >> Usually, there are 'services' which do this monitoring of activity, and
    > >> you can set them to not load automatically. (disable). Access the
    > >> control panel, and find services under system.

    > > Hello, Ron:
    > >
    > > Damn it! There's no "Services" tab, on my own Control Panel\System. (Windows
    > > XP Home, SP2.)
    > >

    > Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services.

    Hello, Ron:

    I saw Joe Makowiec's reply, with that same info, first. Regardless, accessing
    "Services" didn't help me, as there was no option for this type of "monitoring
    of activity," there.

    Thanks, anyway!

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, May 4, 2008
  20. Ed Mullikin

    John Turco Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > nospam wrote:

    > >> Actually, it is the way out for all of us. You may choose not to see,
    > >> if you must.

    > > the way out of what?

    > Cleveland.

    Hello, Blinky:

    Argh! Not >another< Cleveland joke, please! :-J

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, May 4, 2008