    oiuyt Guest

    Daylight, outside, just put the thing on full "Auto", until you learn the
    particular features of the camera.
    oiuyt, Mar 22, 2006

  2. "oiuyt" <> wrote in message
    news:MOkUf.46487$...
    > Daylight, outside, just put the thing on full "Auto", until you learn the
    > particular features of the camera.

    Sage advice. What's your next recommended step?
    Charles Schuler, Mar 22, 2006

  3. oiuyt

    secheese Guest

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 23:09:32 GMT, "oiuyt" <> wrote:

    >Daylight, outside, just put the thing on full "Auto", until you learn the
    >particular features of the camera.

    And on auto, you never will!
    secheese, Mar 22, 2006
  4. oiuyt

    Dave Guest

    > And on auto, you never will!

    Gee, I wonder why camera manufactures put an AUTO control option on their
    cameras?
    Dave, Mar 23, 2006
  5. oiuyt

    Scott W Guest

    oiuyt wrote:
    > Daylight, outside, just put the thing on full "Auto", until you learn the
    > particular features of the camera.

    Just what is your point in this? With very little effort just about
    anyone can learn how to use the other modes and take control of the
    camera rather then the other way around.

    For anyone who cares at all about photography I tell them to just about
    never use the auto mode. The closest that I come to auto is aperture
    priority.

    I never let the camera choose the ISO and I rarely use auto white
    balance.

    I would rather see people miss a few shots as they learn then to just
    use the auto mode, but that is just me.

    Scott
    Scott W, Mar 23, 2006
  6. oiuyt

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Charles Schuler wrote:

    > "oiuyt" <> wrote in message
    > > Daylight, outside, just put the thing on full "Auto", until you learn the
    > > particular features of the camera.

    > Sage advice. What's your next recommended step?

    Batteries, never be without 'em :O)

    --
    Paul (This is really happening, happening)
    Stop and Look
    Paul Heslop, Mar 23, 2006
  7. On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 00:33:56 GMT, Paul Heslop <> wrote:
    > Charles Schuler wrote:
    >>
    >> "oiuyt" <> wrote in message
    >> > Daylight, outside, just put the thing on full "Auto", until you learn the
    >> > particular features of the camera.

    >> Sage advice. What's your next recommended step?

    > Batteries, never be without 'em :O)

    Take off the lens cap before taking a picture.

    -dms
    Daniel Silevitch, Mar 23, 2006
  8. Dave wrote:
    >>And on auto, you never will!

    > Gee, I wonder why camera manufactures put an AUTO control option on their
    > cameras?

    So my wife can use it. :)

    --
    - Barry
    Barry L. Wallis, Mar 23, 2006
  9. Scott W wrote:
    > oiuyt wrote:
    >
    >>Daylight, outside, just put the thing on full "Auto", until you learn the
    >>particular features of the camera.

    > Just what is your point in this?

    Er, ah, eh.... trolling?

    zz.....
    John McWilliams, Mar 23, 2006
  10. oiuyt

    Guest

    On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 01:00:48 GMT, Daniel Silevitch <> wrote:

    > >> Sage advice. What's your next recommended step?

    > > Batteries, never be without 'em :O)

    > Take off the lens cap before taking a picture.

    Always carry a condom or two in your camera bag..

    To put your memory cards in in case of floods. ;-)
    , Mar 23, 2006
  11. oiuyt

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Daniel Silevitch wrote:

    > On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 00:33:56 GMT, Paul Heslop <> wrote:
    > > Charles Schuler wrote:
    > >>
    > >> "oiuyt" <> wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Sage advice. What's your next recommended step?

    > > Batteries, never be without 'em :O)

    > Take off the lens cap before taking a picture.
    >
    > -dms

    Oh that's a good one! erm...

    Use focus, either manual or auto unless your camera is focus free then
    don't.

    Paul Heslop, Mar 23, 2006
  12. oiuyt

    Paul Heslop Guest

    wrote:

    > > > Batteries, never be without 'em :O)

    > > Take off the lens cap before taking a picture.

    > Always carry a condom or two in your camera bag..
    >
    > To put your memory cards in in case of floods. ;-)

    Damn! Thought we were in for some anecdote about how carrying a long
    lens cam is guaranteed to get you your leg-over :O)

    Paul Heslop, Mar 23, 2006
  13. oiuyt

    Skip M Guest

    I asked a Canon rep that once, he told me it was so they could claim they
    had
    "Dave" <> wrote in message

    >> And on auto, you never will!

    > Gee, I wonder why camera manufactures put an AUTO control option on their
    > cameras?

    more features than the next guy. Of course, then the next guy added that
    feature, and more. I think the real reason is so they can attract people
    who can't stand to be seen with a point and shoot, but rather must have a
    big, 'ol chunk of metal, plastic and glass hung around their neck so they
    can announce they are a serious photographer, but they are, in turn,
    intimidated by actually having to deal with apertures, shutter speeds,
    metering patterns, etc. So the "Auto" setting attracts those not interested
    in controlling their photography to a niche that would otherwise be a
    smaller market.
    "Program" does essentially the same thing as "Auto," but lets the
    photographer retain some control over what is being done, like ISO. I've
    had cameras with the Auto mode on them for several years, now, and I've
    never had a camera set to the little green box. In "Auto," there is nothing
    that a 20D, for instance, will do that a $200 p&s camera won't. I did set
    my A2 to "sport" once, about a week after I got it, just to see what effect
    it had. That experiment lasted about 5 shots, then I went back to Program
    and Aperture Priority.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Mar 23, 2006
  14. oiuyt

    Skip M Guest

    Skip M, Mar 23, 2006
  15. oiuyt

    Ron Hunter Guest

    wrote:

    >>> Batteries, never be without 'em :O)

    >> Take off the lens cap before taking a picture.

    > Always carry a condom or two in your camera bag..
    >
    > To put your memory cards in in case of floods. ;-)

    Don't use the ones with spermicide!
    Ron Hunter, Mar 23, 2006
  16. oiuyt

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > wrote:

    > >> Take off the lens cap before taking a picture.

    > > Always carry a condom or two in your camera bag..
    > >
    > > To put your memory cards in in case of floods. ;-)
    > >

    > Don't use the ones with spermicide!

    Don't use a Dutch Cap instead of a lens cap.

    Paul Heslop, Mar 23, 2006
  17. oiuyt

    Steven Wandy Guest

    >> And on auto, you never will!

    > Gee, I wonder why camera manufactures put an AUTO control option on their
    > cameras?

    Best for quick grab shots when it is more important to get the shot than
    have to
    wonder which setting/speed/aperture/etc. to use.
    Steven Wandy, Mar 23, 2006
  18. oiuyt

    Don Stauffer Guest

    Steven Wandy wrote:
    >>>And on auto, you never will!

    >>Gee, I wonder why camera manufactures put an AUTO control option on their
    >>cameras?
    >>

    > Best for quick grab shots when it is more important to get the shot than
    > have to
    > wonder which setting/speed/aperture/etc. to use.

    Also in rapidly changing conditions. Auto exposure good for partly
    cloudy with high wind (clouds moving fast), shooting in rapidly changing
    light.

    Autofocus good for sports with objects or people moving rapidly towards
    or away from camera.

    Landscapes with constant lighting? That is good for manual.

    Nice to have a camera that allows for both.
    Don Stauffer, Mar 24, 2006
  19. oiuyt

    Scott W Guest

    Don Stauffer wrote:

    > >>Gee, I wonder why camera manufactures put an AUTO control option on their
    > >>cameras?
    > >>

    > > Best for quick grab shots when it is more important to get the shot than
    > > have to
    > > wonder which setting/speed/aperture/etc. to use.
    > >

    > Also in rapidly changing conditions. Auto exposure good for partly
    > cloudy with high wind (clouds moving fast), shooting in rapidly changing
    > light.
    >
    > Autofocus good for sports with objects or people moving rapidly towards
    > or away from camera.
    >
    > Landscapes with constant lighting? That is good for manual.
    >
    > Nice to have a camera that allows for both.

    But it is not just between using manual mode or auto, there are also
    such things are aperture priority mode.
    The full auto mode has very little use, IMO. The photographer knows
    the conditions that he is shooting in and knows what he is after far
    better then the camera.

    I believe a photographer should be aware of what f/number and shutter
    speed he is using for ever shot they take, as well as the ISO of
    course. Someone using full auto mode rarely has a clue of any of the
    parameters that they are shooting with.

    Scott
    Scott W, Mar 24, 2006
  20. oiuyt

    Skip M Guest

    "Don Stauffer" <> wrote in message

    >>>Gee, I wonder why camera manufactures put an AUTO control option on their
    >>>cameras?
    >>>

    >> Best for quick grab shots when it is more important to get the shot than
    >> have to
    >> wonder which setting/speed/aperture/etc. to use.

    > Also in rapidly changing conditions. Auto exposure good for partly cloudy
    > with high wind (clouds moving fast), shooting in rapidly changing light.

    That's what "Program" is for, when you don't want to set it on Aperture
    Priority.
    Skip M, Mar 24, 2006