    Auto really means ISO 50 while with a friends Sony M1, the ISO does
    change in Auto mode as necessary.

    What's up with that? Is this unique to Canon cameras only?

    Sam, Nov 6, 2006

  2. Sam

    Guest

    Re: Auto ISO in Canon SD and Powershots is not really Auto?

    Sam wrote:
    > I am curious. I have the Canon A80 and I have borrowed the Canon SD 700
    > recently. I noticed that when the camera's ISO setting is set to Auto,
    > Auto really means ISO 50 while with a friends Sony M1, the ISO does
    > change in Auto mode as necessary.
    >
    > What's up with that? Is this unique to Canon cameras only?

    It will depend on what mode you use, I suspect. On most cameras I have
    owned, the ISO only changed automatically (and within a limited range
    anyway) in some modes, and was locked in the others. Other
    factors/settings may also lock it - eg having the flash set to auto.

    RTM. It should explain what it does in various modes, and when/if the
    ISO really does change automatically.

    , Nov 6, 2006

  3. Sam

    Monkee Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in message
    >I am curious. I have the Canon A80 and I have borrowed the Canon SD 700
    > recently. I noticed that when the camera's ISO setting is set to Auto,
    > Auto really means ISO 50 while with a friends Sony M1, the ISO does
    > change in Auto mode as necessary.
    >
    > What's up with that? Is this unique to Canon cameras only?

    Have you tried using it in a poorly lit room with no flash? I'm pretty sure
    it will ramp itself up to a higher iso in that scenario.

    Monkee, Nov 6, 2006
  4. "Monkee" <> writes:

    >"Sam" <> wrote in message
    >>I am curious. I have the Canon A80 and I have borrowed the Canon SD 700
    >> recently. I noticed that when the camera's ISO setting is set to Auto,
    >> Auto really means ISO 50 while with a friends Sony M1, the ISO does
    >> change in Auto mode as necessary.

    >> What's up with that? Is this unique to Canon cameras only?

    >Have you tried using it in a poorly lit room with no flash? I'm pretty sure
    >it will ramp itself up to a higher iso in that scenario.

    Also, when flash is on but the flash isn't strong enough to properly
    expose the subject at ISO 50, the camera effectively raises the ISO to
    at least 100. I noticed this on a S410, comparing the "auto ISO" shots
    to a pair of shots at ISO 50 and ISO 100.

    The problem is that you actually have to take multiple shots and
    compare them to see what the camera did - the EXIF info just says
    "auto" in auto-ISO mode, giving you no clue what the camera-set ISO
    actually was.

    Dave

    Dave Martindale, Nov 6, 2006
  5. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "Monkee" <> wrote in message
    :
    : "Sam" <> wrote in message
    : news:ZfA3h.268498$R63.200786@pd7urf1no...
    : >I am curious. I have the Canon A80 and I have borrowed the Canon SD
    700
    : > recently. I noticed that when the camera's ISO setting is set to
    Auto,
    : > Auto really means ISO 50 while with a friends Sony M1, the ISO does
    : > change in Auto mode as necessary.
    : >
    : > What's up with that? Is this unique to Canon cameras only?
    :
    : Have you tried using it in a poorly lit room with no flash? I'm pretty
    sure
    : it will ramp itself up to a higher iso in that scenario.

    In Auto mode, it stayed at default ISO 50 ( presume): 1/8 sec @ 2.8,
    while in Program mode, the it was 1 second @2.8. EXIF doesn't show my
    ISO speed while in Auto. :-(

    One would think that Auto would be more sensitive to ISO changes?

    Sam, Nov 9, 2006