    some cases the above settings had a no so good effect on my pictures,
    which I had no way to reverse.

    thanks

    Anthony, Feb 24, 2006

  2. Anthony <> wrote:
    : My Nikon 5700 by default turns on "Image Sharpening" and "Image
    : Adjustment" (=Contrast) when in manual mode. Can I have the same effect
    : with Adobe Photoshop, if I turn these settings off? I suspect that in
    : some cases the above settings had a no so good effect on my pictures,
    : which I had no way to reverse.

    PS does have a menu item for "auto sharpen" and "auto contrast" but you
    will have to select these menu items. They won't be applied automatically
    every time you open an image. You really wouldn't want that level of
    "auto" as you may open (and resave) an image several times and repeted use
    of these functions could end up causing extreme damage to the image.

    You are correct that auto sharpen and auto contrast can cause problems but
    if you are intending that these images be "snapshots" and you wish to
    print the images direct from the camera, having these functions
    automatically happen in the camera would reduce the need to open all the
    images in an editor before printing.

    IMHO in the vast majority of cases, in camera sharpen and contrast
    adjustment should be used sparingly or even not at all. Of course if you
    find these features to your taste, feel free to use them. :)

    Randy

    ==========
    Randy Berbaum
    Champaign, IL

    Randy Berbaum, Feb 24, 2006

  3. Anthony

    Anthony Guest

    Thanks, Randy. After all, if I want a snapshot I can always use userset
    "A" which sets everything automatically without allowing much manual
    control.

    Anthony, Feb 24, 2006
  4. On 23 Feb 2006 23:11:02 -0800, in rec.photo.digital "Anthony"
    <> wrote:

    >My Nikon 5700 by default turns on "Image Sharpening" and "Image
    >Adjustment" (=Contrast) when in manual mode. Can I have the same effect
    >with Adobe Photoshop, if I turn these settings off? I suspect that in
    >some cases the above settings had a no so good effect on my pictures,
    >which I had no way to reverse.

    Yes, in fact if you are after the best image data outside of shooting raw,
    it's best to turn sharpening and image adjustment off and many with the
    5700 also turned saturation down at least to -1 if not -2. as well. I think
    I stuck with -1 myself. You can then make adjustments in most any image
    editor after the fact.
    --
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()

    Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!), Feb 24, 2006