    a program that will open the ftp site, upload files, and
    close the ftp site.

    Thanks.
    Sanford Aranoff, Mar 9, 2009

  2. Sanford Aranoff

    Alister Guest

    On Mar 9, 10:20 am, Sanford Aranoff <>
    wrote:
    > Using Windows Explorer, I can go to my ftp:\\ directory,
    > enter my password, and then copy files from the hard disk to
    > my Internet site. Can I write a command line which will go
    > to the ftp site and enter the password? This way I can write
    > a program that will open the ftp site, upload files, and
    > close the ftp site.
    >
    > Thanks.

    This is not really the correct newsgroup for this question, however:

    You can pass command line parameters to the built in ftp client in
    most versions of windows
    by using a batch file coupled with a text file list of the commands.

    In the batch file you have the following:

    @echo off
    ftp -s:unattend.txt ftp.myftpsite.dom

    This tells ftp to use unattend.txt to pass commands to the FTP
    program.
    The contents of unattend.txt would look like this:

    USER username
    password
    (may need) cd /where/I/want/to be
    binary
    prompt n
    mput myfile.ext
    bye

    This will logon, change directory if needed and then upload the file
    and disconnect.

    This is NOT secure as your password is stored in plain text in the
    unattend.txt file.

    However if you were thinking of writing a program to pass these
    commands you could create the unattend.txt on the fly and delete it
    after the transaction has completed.

    HTH

    Alister
    Alister, Mar 9, 2009

  3. Sanford Aranoff wrote:
    > Using Windows Explorer, I can go to my ftp:\\ directory,
    > enter my password, and then copy files from the hard disk to
    > my Internet site. Can I write a command line which will go
    > to the ftp site and enter the password? This way I can write
    > a program that will open the ftp site, upload files, and
    > close the ftp site.
    >
    > Thanks.

    Webdrive (www.webdrive.com) is really good for enabling scripting access
    to FTP sites. Mounts the site as a network drive, so any program can
    access the site. Used it for years.

    Phil, London
    Philip Herlihy, May 23, 2009