    Thanks for any advice.

    --
    Global_Killa

    Global_Killa, Mar 5, 2004

  2. Global_Killa

    Plato Guest

    Global_Killa wrote:

    > I was wondering if it was possible to have windows automatically connect
    > to the Internet upon login? I'm running Windows XP, and my connection is
    > broadband.

    What do you have dsl as cable broadband auto-connects in my area but dsl
    doesnt.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/

    Plato, Mar 5, 2004

  3. Global_Killa

    Thor Guest

    You mean launch your browser upon windows startup?

    "Global_Killa" <> wrote in message
    > Hey,
    > I was wondering if it was possible to have windows automatically

    connect
    > to the Internet upon login? I'm running Windows XP, and my connection is
    > broadband.
    >
    > I know that it doesn't take long to connect to broadband, but it would be
    > helpful if it automatically logged me onto the Internet when I login into

    my

    Thor, Mar 5, 2004
  4. Global_Killa

    Global_Killa Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message

    > What do you have dsl as cable broadband auto-connects in my area but dsl
    > doesnt.
    >

    > --
    > http://www.bootdisk.com/

    I think I may have dsl

    --
    Global_Killa

    Global_Killa, Mar 5, 2004
  5. Global_Killa

    Global_Killa Guest

    "Thor" <> wrote in message
    > You mean launch your browser upon windows startup?

    Nah, not my web browser. I just want the Internet to auto connect. Like when
    you double click the connect icon, and click connect, it dials and connects
    and then the two little computer screens are in the system tray.
    Thats what I want, so when I login into my account the Internet dials, and
    the two screens are in the system tray.

    Global_Killa

    Global_Killa, Mar 5, 2004
  6. Global_Killa

    Plato Guest

    Global_Killa wrote:

    > Thats what I want, so when I login into my account the Internet dials, and
    > the two screens are in the system tray.

    Which is not broadband.

    Plato, Mar 5, 2004
  7. Global_Killa

    Global_Killa Guest

    "Plato" <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Global_Killa wrote:
    > >
    > > Thats what I want, so when I login into my account the Internet dials,

    and
    > > the two screens are in the system tray.

    > Which is not broadband.

    What is it then? It only takes like a second to dial. And my connection says
    its broadband, my ISP says its broadband, and my installation for my
    broadband modem, and ISP setup says its broadband....

    --
    Global_Killa

    Global_Killa, Mar 5, 2004
  8. Global_Killa

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 18:58:36 -0000, "Global_Killa"
    <> wrote:

    >Hey,
    > I was wondering if it was possible to have windows automatically connect
    >to the Internet upon login? I'm running Windows XP, and my connection is
    >broadband.
    >
    >I know that it doesn't take long to connect to broadband, but it would be
    >helpful if it automatically logged me onto the Internet when I login into my
    >account.
    >
    >Thanks for any advice.

    It should be doing this now.

    If you installed the software from your ISP (which you didn't really
    need to do...but most folks do), there should be a setting in the
    options to allow immediate connection upon booting up the computer.

    Another option is to get a router...that you never shut off. This
    will be your connection to the Internet...so that you be on the Net
    immediately. They're cheap nowadays...about $20 for a 2-port unit.

    Contact your ISP...they'll show you how to configure yer machine for
    instant connectivity.

    Good luck.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Mar 6, 2004
  9. Global_Killa

    Thor Guest

    I've not seen a DSL connection that required one to "dial" anything at all.
    All the DSL providers in my area are "always on". There is no login process
    required. You start your browser, and that's all that is needed. Works just
    like cable broadband in my area.

    Thor, Mar 6, 2004
  10. Global_Killa

    Trent© Guest

    On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 22:25:41 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >I've not seen a DSL connection that required one to "dial" anything at all.
    >All the DSL providers in my area are "always on". There is no login process
    >required. You start your browser, and that's all that is needed. Works just
    >like cable broadband in my area.

    Not all work that way, Thor.

    Although there's not a dial-in necessary, of course, there's not
    always an instant connection. Depending on the ISP's installation
    software, its often necessary to click on an icon...and choose to
    connect. It really depends on the provider.

    The main concern...and main problem...is whether or not the OS
    supports PPPoE. Customers running 98 and prior without a router are
    forced to install the ISP's software...which can be configured to
    instant access...or not.

    When the OP said 'dial', I think he means to click on an icon...which
    doesn't actually dial...but connects him to the Internet.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Mar 6, 2004
  11. Global_Killa

    Plato Guest

    Thor wrote:

    > I've not seen a DSL connection that required one to "dial" anything at all.
    > All the DSL providers in my area are "always on". There is no login process
    > required. You start your browser, and that's all that is needed. Works just
    > like cable broadband in my area.

    verizon dsl in my area and from the new york pcs I play with require you
    to his this "winpoet" icon in the tray first before you hit the browser.
    Of course this could have changed recently.

    Plato, Mar 6, 2004
  12. Global_Killa

    Plato Guest

    Global_Killa wrote:

    > What is it then? It only takes like a second to dial. And my connection says
    > its broadband, my ISP says its broadband, and my installation for my
    > broadband modem, and ISP setup says its broadband....

    dsl broadband I believe since you have to hit an icon. The icon is in
    the tray right?

    Plato, Mar 6, 2004
  13. Global_Killa

    Thor Guest

    > The main concern...and main problem...is whether or not the OS
    > supports PPPoE. Customers running 98 and prior without a router are
    > forced to install the ISP's software...which can be configured to
    > instant access...or not.

    This isn't the case with Sprint DSL in my area. I've set up numerous win98
    machines (w/no router) for it, and no ISP software was required at all,
    other than the CD that walks you through the setup process. The first time I
    did it, I expected to have to install Winpoet or something similar, but the
    setup instructions stated that nothing of the sort was required. The DSL
    modems they provide handle all the necessary PPPoE connection and user login
    information, and it's stored on the modem itself during the initial setup
    phase, by the setup program on the CD. On the PC end, it's just like any
    other cable modem, and you just set the PC to DHCP acquisition, and you're
    done. It's very easy to set up.

    Thor, Mar 6, 2004
  14. Global_Killa

    Trent© Guest

    On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 08:23:08 -0500, "Thor" <> wrote:

    >> The main concern...and main problem...is whether or not the OS
    >> supports PPPoE. Customers running 98 and prior without a router are
    >> forced to install the ISP's software...which can be configured to
    >> instant access...or not.

    >This isn't the case with Sprint DSL in my area. I've set up numerous win98
    >machines (w/no router) for it, and no ISP software was required at all,
    >other than the CD that walks you through the setup process. The first time I
    >did it, I expected to have to install Winpoet or something similar, but the
    >setup instructions stated that nothing of the sort was required. The DSL
    >modems they provide handle all the necessary PPPoE connection and user login
    >information, and it's stored on the modem itself during the initial setup
    >phase, by the setup program on the CD. On the PC end, it's just like any
    >other cable modem, and you just set the PC to DHCP acquisition, and you're
    >done. It's very easy to set up.

    I'm not sure where we're goin' with this. I think we're in
    agreement...just lookin' at it with different perspectives. lol

    98 and prior does not support PPPoE. So, if someone is usin' 98, its
    been installed on the computer...or the router (pseudo computer) has
    it. I have no idea how those modems you speak of actually work,
    obviously.

    At any rate, for some customers connectivity is not
    automatic...depending on their options preference. They click on an
    icon to get Internet access...and then click again to disconnect.

    For new customers with 98, I usually give them a free 2-port
    router...which always includes PPPoE connectivity. It saves the time
    and complications necessary to install the ISP's software.

    Have a nice week...

    Trent

    Trent©, Mar 7, 2004
  15. Global_Killa

    Thor Guest

    > I'm not sure where we're goin' with this. I think we're in
    > agreement...just lookin' at it with different perspectives. lol

    Just thought you might find it interesting. You never know, you might
    encounter a setup like this in the future.

    > 98 and prior does not support PPPoE. So, if someone is usin' 98, its
    > been installed on the computer...or the router (pseudo computer) has
    > it. I have no idea how those modems you speak of actually work,
    > obviously.

    Yes, in this case no PPPoE program is required in 98. The DSL modems
    themselves handle everything, and to the PC they act just like a regular
    cable modem. The Sprint setup CD merely has you enter your account username
    and password, and this is written into flash memory in the DSL modem (or you
    can telnet into the modem's setup config and set it thusly). From that point
    forward, the modem itself automatically authenticates you with the service,
    and it is an always-on connection. Even if you use a router in conjunction
    with one of these, you don't use the PPPoE support in the router's
    configuration settings. You set it up just like you would with most cable
    modems. Which the default config usually does the trick nicely. Sprint made
    it insanely easy to deal with. Sprint DSL in my area provides business
    accounts with a combo DSL modem w/ built-in router, and home customers with
    a plain DSL modem. Neither one requires PPPoE software on Win98, nor PPPoE
    settings in WinXP. As I said, the first time I set one of these up a couple
    years ago, I fully expected to need WinPoet for the 98 boxes at least. I was
    pleasantly surprised to find out differently.

    > At any rate, for some customers connectivity is not
    > automatic...depending on their options preference. They click on an
    > icon to get Internet access...and then click again to disconnect.

    I didn't dispute that. That's why I said "In my area" it's not like that.

    Thor, Mar 7, 2004