    Englot Guest

    I wanted to make a auto-config CD to auto connect windows machines to my
    wireless AP. How can I do this?

    Englot, Feb 10, 2008

  2. "Englot" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > I wanted to make a auto-config CD to auto connect windows machines to my
    > wireless AP. How can I do this?

    It sounds as if you plan to duplicate the NETSETUP.EXE
    created by the WinXP Network Wizard: or do you want
    something different?

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs

    Don Phillipson, Feb 10, 2008

  3. Hi
    If your Wireless works OK and it set to Connect to available APs and your AP
    SSIS is a yap of the preferred Network it would Auto Connect.
    I.a. It not clear what you expect the CD to do.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 10, 2008
  4. Englot

    Englot Guest

    here is the senario:

    I have an office where people come and go all the time. I would like to
    create a wireless key CD for the initial connection. Where it sets the
    prefered network and WEP key automatically for the client, simply by droping
    in the cd in to the laptop.

    I get complaints all the time from clients when they have to type in a 128
    bit WEP key.

    Maybe I culd work out a reg file to set thsi up?

    Englot, Feb 10, 2008
  5. Englot

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    Even if it can be done via the Registry, I think that I would not "mess"
    with other people Registry, or core Wireless settings.
    You can put the security code in a text file, save it to a Flash Drive and
    give them the Flash Drive to copy and paste.
    P.S. I am a little surprise that an Office envioroment still uses Wireless
    with highly insecure WEP???
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Feb 10, 2008
  6. Englot

    Barb Bowman Guest

    use Windows Connect Now (or WPS) with a USB flash key that can be
    plugged into each machine. And use WPA2 or WPA. WEP is ridiculously
    unsafe.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Feb 10, 2008
  7. Englot

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    There is a reason to why I suggested the copy and paste method.
    It seems that the OP is Not aware of the security trepidations of Wireless
    connection, or what can be the outcome of "playing" with other people
    Windows Registry and Network settings..
    Sharing only the key is the least of possible evils.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack, Feb 11, 2008