    domain but when s/he logs on a Linux machine, we use the
    authentication from the Windows 2000 domain).

    Thanks a lot.

    Senthil, Feb 10, 2004

  2. Senthil

    why? Guest

    On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 20:57:47 GMT, Senthil wrote:

    >Hi All,
    >Can anybody tell me how to authenticate users on a Linux computer against
    >their passwords
    > on a Windows 2000 domain (i.e., the user has an account in the windows
    > domain but when s/he logs on a Linux machine, we use the
    > authentication from the Windows 2000 domain).

    Do it the other way around. Use Samba on Linux to authenticate the
    windows accounts.

    Check the Samba manuals, it may well have something new since I last
    used it, http://www.samba.org/ it did have settings for
    domain =
    workgroup =
    for using against a NT PDC.

    IIRC make sure you look at the manual section for winbind, all right
    here is a link to UK mirror.
    http://samba.mirror.ac.uk/samba/docs/man/winbind.html

    Setup a LDAP server with, which has both Win and Linux clients.

    Have a look on the MS site for the SFU, Services for UNIX package.

    Then again, www.google.com has

    Linux to 2000
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Networking/Linux_Networking/Q_20842665.html

    Linux to Active Directory with Samba 3