authentication failed while connecting to D link router for high s

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Trav, Apr 24, 2009.

  1. Trav

    Trav Guest

    A few days ago I had a Trojan and heard that it could make a backdoor for
    other viruses to come in the computer, I went and disabled all the things to
    do with DNS and IP in services.msc. Then asked someone about it and they
    said to enable them because it wasn't a problem. A couple minutes before a
    technician at Norton Anti-virus was to take control of the computer the
    internet stopped working.

    Now let me describe the network setup: I have Wildblue high speed internet,
    the WB modem goes to a D-Link wireless router, then to the Windows XP SP 3
    computer{which are all downstairs} then a Windows Vista via wireless D-Link
    USB adapter{upstairs}.

    (If you are still here reading this then here comes the WTF part)

    The Windows XP computer can connect to the WB modem and recieve a signal
    without any problems but when hooked up this way the one upstairs obviously
    has no signal because it need the router to send it the signal. The Windows
    XP gets an authentication failed message when connected to the router and
    can't renew an IP address yet when I bring the Windows Vista computer
    downstairs and connect it through the router(the same way as the Windows XP)
    I connect right away.

    Any help would be great!

    Trav, Apr 24, 2009

  2. Trav

    smlunatick Guest

    Re: authentication failed while connecting to D link router for highs

    On Apr 24, 9:01 pm, Trav <> wrote:
    > A few days ago I had a Trojan and heard that it could make a backdoor for
    > other viruses to come in the computer, I went and disabled all the things to
    > do with DNS and IP in services.msc.   Then asked someone about it and they
    > said to enable them because it wasn't a problem. A couple minutes before a
    > technician at Norton Anti-virus was to take control of the computer the
    > internet stopped working.
    >
    > Now let me describe the network setup: I have Wildblue high speed internet,
    > the WB modem goes to a D-Link wireless router, then to the Windows XP SP 3
    > computer{which are all downstairs} then a Windows Vista via wireless D-Link
    > USB adapter{upstairs}.
    >
    > (If you are still here reading this then here comes the WTF part)
    >
    > The Windows XP computer can connect to the WB modem and recieve a signal
    > without any problems but when hooked up this way the one upstairs obviously
    > has no signal because it need the router to send it the signal.  The Windows
    > XP gets an authentication failed message when connected to the router and
    > can't renew an IP address yet when I bring the Windows Vista computer
    > downstairs and connect it through the router(the same way as the Windows XP)
    > I connect right away.
    >
    > Any help would be great!

    If you disable IP and DNS, you have broken the access to the
    Internet. You need to have an IP address in order for the PC to
    access the Internet. If no IP address, then no access.

    As for DNS, DNS is used to change the IP address of "most" web site to
    a "human readable" name. Therefore, with DNS turned on, the IP
    address of 74.125.93.147 will send your "browser" to www.google.com.

    As for an online support agent "call" from Norton, let me summarize my
    last experience. March 29, 2009, I was not having any "local" PC
    access on my network, I did have Internet access. Contacted Norton
    "online" chat support whom then ran the enhanced removal tool NRT.
    Then new problems came into existance:

    svchost popup errors:

    The instruction at "0x00000000" referenced memory at 0x00000000". The
    memory could not be "written".

    After weeks of checking, I did a complete removal of all my Norton
    based software products and cleared out most of their settings. I
    then completed a repair reinstall of my Windows XP Pro SP3 and just
    completed the "stable" set up of my PC this past weekend.

    STAY AWAY FROM NORTON ONLINE CHAT SUPPORT!!!

    Check with the Norton Community forums first!

    http://community.norton.com/norton/

    smlunatick, Apr 27, 2009