Authentication and Single Sign On

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Cheetah, Dec 4, 2003.

  1. Cheetah

    Cheetah Guest

    The Government are currently looking at developing a system for single sign
    of for all Government Organisations. The system design is such that there
    is no communication directly between agencies - so technically it won't be
    a big brother system.

    The question I suppose is whether people will believe or accept a single
    sign on system for Government Departments?

    The NZOSS is running a poll on its website:
    http://www.nzoss.org.nz/portal/index.php

    The NZOSS is involved with this project - in that we have written a initial
    discussion document and a response to the request for information. We are
    working toward seeing the Government get the maximum possible benefit from
    open source in this project.

    We also see that the project would be more attractive to people if:

    1. It were open to all entities, private and public, so everyone would get
    the benefit of an authentication system. This would encourage the uptake of
    b2b systems which depend on strong authentication.

    2. The technology used is open and standard. We believe that using open
    source will mean that it will be impossible to insert back doors to
    circumvent the protections in the system that ensure privacy. It will also
    remove any barrier to entry for any entity wishing to use the system.

    Cheetah, Dec 4, 2003