Authenciating app to write to flash drive

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by swtbase@gmail.com, Jul 6, 2008.

  1. Guest

    Hi to all.

    Everyone of us may have come across the devious script worms which
    copies itself to a connected Flash drive or the obselete floppy drive
    or a more devious virus which changes all the folders in a flash
    drive
    to an executable (Kinda is think its name is). Win Vista atleast
    takes
    care of the script worm but in XP I have to manually (attrib -s -h
    script.vbs) everytime and remove the script which is not good.

    I want to write an application which confirms with the user to let a
    specific application write to a flash drive. I could have written a
    wrapper driver or replaced system DLL with redirecting DLL of my own
    but the program(or idea) should also work in other computers (which
    means it should not assume to run in administrative previlieges).

    I searched the internet and have not been able to find any solution
    this problem except encrypting the whole drive itself which again
    requires me to carry another flash drive for the decrypting
    application.

    Any ideas are welcome.

    , Jul 6, 2008