    Is there an Australian newsgroup like this I can ask in? I looked but
    there appears not.

    many thanks
    Poneke, Apr 3, 2009

  2. Poneke

    Alan Guest

    "Poneke" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I want to get an .au Australian email address that I can access
    > through my local NZ or any other ISP or even internet cafes.
    >
    > This means I don't want to buy a broadband or a dial-up account as I
    > am not in Australia, I just want to get an Australian email address
    > that I can access here.
    >
    > I asked BigPond and they said they can't do this -- even though NZ
    > ISPs like Ihug will sell you an email only account.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me who to ask in Australia?
    >
    > Is there an Australian newsgroup like this I can ask in? I looked
    > but
    > there appears not.
    >
    > many thanks

    I may be missing something here, but why not just register a .au
    domain?

    It'll cost you A$80 a year or less, and you just point it wherever you
    like (Gmail is free).

    Alan.

    My unmunged email is: (valid for 30 days
    min). The following is a probably unique, meaningless string you can
    use to find my posts in search engines: ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Apr 3, 2009

  3. Poneke

    oneofus Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/cmdn7kv
    oneofus, Apr 3, 2009
  4. Poneke

    oneofus Guest

    http://www.freeparking.co.nz/domain
    oneofus, Apr 3, 2009
  5. Poneke

    Your Name Guest

    "Alan" <> wrote in message
    > "Poneke" <> wrote in message
    > >I want to get an .au Australian email address that I can access
    > > through my local NZ or any other ISP or even internet cafes.
    > >
    > > This means I don't want to buy a broadband or a dial-up account as I
    > > am not in Australia, I just want to get an Australian email address
    > > that I can access here.
    > >
    > > I asked BigPond and they said they can't do this -- even though NZ
    > > ISPs like Ihug will sell you an email only account.
    > >
    > > Can anyone tell me who to ask in Australia?
    > >
    > > Is there an Australian newsgroup like this I can ask in? I looked
    > > but
    > > there appears not.
    > >
    > > many thanks

    > I may be missing something here, but why not just register a .au
    > domain?
    >
    > It'll cost you A$80 a year or less, and you just point it wherever you
    > like (Gmail is free).

    Or even cheaper, just sign up for a free email address at somewhere like
    yahoo.com.au

    If you sign up through yahoo.com, you'll get a @yahoo.com address.
    If you sign up through yahoo.co.nz, you'll get a @yahoo.co.nz address.
    If you sign up through yahoo.com.au, you'll get a yahoo.com.au address.

    Simple really. :)

    There are also probably lots of web-based forums and websites you can sign
    up to that will also give you a free email address.
    Your Name, Apr 3, 2009
  6. Poneke

    morisset Guest

    On 3 Apr, 17:20, Poneke <> wrote:
    > I want to get an .au Australian email address that I can access
    > through my local NZ or any other ISP or even internet cafes.
    >
    > This means I don't want to buy a broadband or a dial-up account as I
    > am not in Australia, I just want to get an Australian email address
    > that I can access here.
    >
    > I asked BigPond and they said they can't do this -- even though NZ
    > ISPs like Ihug will sell you an email only account.
    >
    > Can anyone tell me who to ask in Australia?
    >
    > Is there an Australian newsgroup like this I can ask in? I looked but
    > there appears not.
    >
    > many thanks

    After aus.computers, couldn't you manage with a general address like
    gmail?
    There are more aussie goups, just enter e'thing into google. Addresses
    used to be readily available.

    nof
    morisset, Apr 4, 2009
  7. I thought for a moment I had caught a glimpse of Poneke
    <> on Thu, 2 Apr 2009 21:20:52 -0700 (PDT),
    writing in nz.comp: When I had a second look I found that I wasn't
    mistaken: :)

    >I want to get an .au Australian email address that I can access
    >through my local NZ or any other ISP or even internet cafes.

    Some people are as shifty as a s*it house rat and one wonders why do you
    want an OZ email address. :)

    Anyway, I don't use my own ISP for email (or newsgroups) because they
    aren't worth a knob of goat s*it. I use a paid service for email:
    <http://www.fastmail.fm/> who provide a reliable service.
    Fastmail provide a number of different services, some free.

    From their web page you will see various alternatives:
    FREE
    Ad Free: US$4.95 / year
    Full: US$14.95 / year
    Enhanced: US$34.95 / year

    They are rock solid reliable and have a variety of email addresses
    available including <>

    Another is: <http://au.yahoo.com/>

    The above yahoo page will allow free: <> email
    address with pop & smtp access.

    Or as an alternative: <http://uk.yahoo.com/> also will give you a free
    <> email address with pop & smtp.

    Yahoo AU are a bit flaky and not reliable for regular email. Even though
    I have free pop access I seldom check for email using pop and usually
    just check them once -a-day using web mail.

    Yahoo UK are very reliable, I regularly use them to download news
    letters etc. and they never let me down.

    >Can anyone tell me who to ask in Australia?

    I responded so I will try to help.

    >Is there an Australian newsgroup like this I can ask in? I looked but
    >there appears not.

    Not that I'm aware of.

    I don't want to use a valid email address on usenet, but I read this
    newsgroup most days if you want to get back to me.
    --

    Erik
    Erik Vastmasd, Apr 4, 2009
  8. Poneke

    Your Name Guest

    "Erik Vastmasd" <> wrote in message
    > I thought for a moment I had caught a glimpse of Poneke
    > <> on Thu, 2 Apr 2009 21:20:52 -0700 (PDT),
    > writing in nz.comp: When I had a second look I found that I wasn't
    > mistaken: :)

    <snip>

    > >Is there an Australian newsgroup like this I can ask in? I looked but
    > >there appears not.

    > Not that I'm aware of.

    There are a pile of "aus." newgroups, including "aus.computers", but I don't
    know if it is like this one.
    Your Name, Apr 4, 2009
  9. I caught a glimpse of "Your Name" <> on Sat, 4 Apr 2009
    19:16:40 +1200, writing in nz.comp:

    >"Erik Vastmasd" <> wrote in message
    >> I thought for a moment I had caught a glimpse of Poneke
    >> <> on Thu, 2 Apr 2009 21:20:52 -0700 (PDT),
    >> writing in nz.comp: When I had a second look I found that I wasn't
    >> mistaken: :)
    >>

    ><snip>
    >>
    >> >Is there an Australian newsgroup like this I can ask in? I looked but
    >> >there appears not.

    >> Not that I'm aware of.

    >There are a pile of "aus." newgroups, including "aus.computers", but I don't
    >know if it is like this one.

    As you said there is a pile of aus.newsgroups but where to send a NZ'er
    wanting to use an OZ email address?

    I'm willing to help if neccessary so let's see what happens.
    --

    Erik
    Erik Vastmasd, Apr 4, 2009