Australia lagging behind developed world in broadband

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Nik Coughlin, Mar 13, 2006.

  1. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    From March 2006 Australian PC Authority, p. 14:

    Australia is lagging behind the developed world in broadband speeds, new
    research has found. Just a few years ago Australia was ahead of countries
    like the UK in terms of cable and ADSL rollout. But the nation's broadband
    speeds have since stalled -- despite growing numbers of users -- while the
    rest of the world has now moved on. Other countires now only define speeds
    like 4Mb/s as broadband, while ISPs here still sell 256Kb/s as broadband.
    The problems here arose when Telstra deliberately capped ADSL speeds to
    guarantee a quality of service to customers, then dragged its heels on
    upgrading to ADSL2 and expanding its cable network. The limited speeds
    haven't hindered uptake though. The ACCC found broadband take-up had
    doubled over the past 12 months.

    Nik Coughlin, Mar 13, 2006

  2. "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > From March 2006 Australian PC Authority, p. 14:
    >
    > Australia is lagging behind the developed world in broadband speeds, new
    > research has found. Just a few years ago Australia was ahead of countries
    > like the UK in terms of cable and ADSL rollout. But the nation's
    > broadband speeds have since stalled -- despite growing numbers of users --
    > while the rest of the world has now moved on. Other countires now only
    > define speeds like 4Mb/s as broadband, while ISPs here still sell 256Kb/s
    > as broadband. The problems here arose when Telstra deliberately capped
    > ADSL speeds to guarantee a quality of service to customers, then dragged
    > its heels on upgrading to ADSL2 and expanding its cable network. The
    > limited speeds haven't hindered uptake though. The ACCC found broadband
    > take-up had doubled over the past 12 months.

    And, whats your point?

    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 13, 2006

  3. Nik Coughlin

    Max Burke Guest

    > Bruce Sinclair scribbled:

    >> news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    >>> Nik Coughlin wrote:
    >>> From March 2006 Australian PC Authority, p. 14:
    >>> Australia is lagging behind the developed world in broadband
    >>> speeds, new research has found. Just a few years ago Australia
    >>> was ahead of countries like the UK in terms of cable and ADSL
    >>> rollout. But the nation's broadband speeds have since stalled --
    >>> despite growing numbers of users -- while the rest of the world
    >>> has now moved on. Other countires now only define speeds like
    >>> 4Mb/s as broadband, while ISPs here still sell 256Kb/s as
    >>> broadband. The problems here arose when Telstra deliberately
    >>> capped ADSL speeds to guarantee a quality of service to
    >>> customers, then dragged its heels on upgrading to ADSL2 and
    >>> expanding its cable network. The limited speeds haven't hindered
    >>> uptake though. The ACCC found broadband take-up had doubled over
    >>> the past 12 months.

    >> And, whats your point?

    > .. possibly that australia has been touted recently as "fast"
    > compared to
    > NZ ? ... and that the actual world wide comparison might therefore be
    > rather
    > worse than we think ?
    > .. but I agree that spelling it out would have helped a grat deal :)
    > :)

    This furore over NZ's lacklustre broadband performance looks as if it isn't
    going to die any time soon.
    Last night, the TV1 Sunday programme had a piece where NZ's DSL speeds were
    repeatedly compared to those in Australia, showing how we're 12 times
    slower -- like a bicycle compared to a Lamborghini.
    More at: http://www.aardvark.co.nz/

    > Bruce

    > I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are
    > the good
    > people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always
    > and
    > only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.
    >
    > Lord Vetinari in Guards ! Guards ! - Terry Pratchett
    >
    > Caution ===== followups may have been changed to relevant groups
    > (if there were any)

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Mar 13, 2006

    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 13, 2006
  5. Nik Coughlin

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:
    > "Nik Coughlin" <> wrote in message
    >> From March 2006 Australian PC Authority, p. 14:
    >>
    >> Australia is lagging behind the developed world in broadband speeds,
    >> new research has found. ...

    8< snipped

    > And, whats your point?

    I don't have to have a point. I've enjoyed the ongoing and informed
    discussion on broadband, including numerous comparisons to Australia, and I
    felt that I should give something back by posting something relevant that a
    lot of people wouldn't have otherwise come across. Fall out of the wrong
    side of bed this morning? :)

    Nik Coughlin, Mar 14, 2006