    http://www.newsfeed.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
    -----== 100,000 Groups! - 19 Servers! - Unlimited Download! =-----

    , Apr 8, 2004

  2. John Guest

    US studios do not necessarily distribute movies here in Australia. Local
    distribution companies have to pay the US companies for the rights to
    distribute over here. When it comes to DVDs, the studios over here also
    have to pay extra to license the supplemental materials.

    Another reason is that there are films that aren't available over here
    as they have no distributor. The T2: Ultimate Edition only got released
    here late last year (the same time the Extreme Edition was released in
    R1) as it previously had no distributor in this country.

    With the different distribution companies also comes different release
    dates. 'Donnie Darko' was available on R1 DVD at under $20AUS over a
    *year* before it came out here at a much higher price. The 'Almost
    Famous: Bootleg Cut' was my first O/S DVD purchase, over two years ago
    while the title is still yet to be released here. Sometimes, R1 gets a
    DVD before we get the film in cinemas.

    Also, it's cheaper on some occasions to buy overseas.

    So - better extras, more titles at an earlier date, cheaper product. I'd
    call that a good reason to buy from 'over there'.

    John, Apr 8, 2004

  3. Meng Guest

    > Why are so many Aussies and Brits buying DVD movies and games from
    > The US and Canada, are these stuffs so hard to get there?

    They're cheaper than the UK equivalents (usually), they've got better/more
    extras (usually) and they haven't been through the hands of the BBFC
    butchers. who will give something an 18 certificate and still cut it.

    Meng, Apr 8, 2004