    a.. 20GB for AU$129.95 with a bundle, AU$159.95 stand-alone

    sigh.....

    perhaps nz can become another aussie state.
    L33T, Jan 27, 2004

  2. L33T

    Geri Guest

    Dinkum Internet charged me AU$99.00 for unlimited 512kb/s adsl connection.

    Come on Telesum get real with your bogus adsl prices!

    Geri, Jan 27, 2004

  3. L33T

    JedMeister Guest

    Then, say you downloaded 20gig in a month...you would just pay $99. You
    could even view the telecom broadband site here in NZ for free, while I
    would pay 20c per mb over my 1gig limit.

    Well, I would pay over $3891NZD for this priviledge of using telecom nz (but
    first gig was free on my plan). Also, there is a monthly fee for about
    70bucks to add on to this woopeee.

    Interestingly, they are releasing playstation or xbox online gaming here
    shortly...I cannot imagine that this will succeed given you need an adsl
    connection - how many parents would willing to pay 1000's to let their
    little darlings play online ps2.

    JedMeister, Jan 27, 2004
  4. On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:27:24 +1300, "JedMeister"
    <> wrote:

    >Then, say you downloaded 20gig in a month...you would just pay $99. You
    >could even view the telecom broadband site here in NZ for free, while I
    >would pay 20c per mb over my 1gig limit.

    But Telecom inform us that this 20c/MB over-cap fee is because poor
    old NZ is so far from the rest of the world and international traffic
    is expensive.

    Of course they then have no answer to the question "so why are you
    charging 20c/MB for *LOCAL* over-cap DSL as well???"

    They also seem to forget that, thanks to the route the Southern Cross
    cable takes, NZ is actually closer to the rest of the world than
    Australia -- but our DSL rates are still higher.

    What a shame the Commerce Commissioner has no balls :-(

    Bruce Simpson, Jan 28, 2004
  5. L33T wrote:
    > http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/communications/0,2000061791,39115843,00.htm
    > for 512kbps downstream...
    > a.. 300MB for AU$49.95 with a bundle, AU$69.95 stand-alone
    > a.. 1GB for AU$59.95 with a bundle, AU$79.95 stand-alone
    > a.. 12GB for AU$79.95 with a bundle, AU$99.95 stand-alone
    > a.. 20GB for AU$129.95 with a bundle, AU$159.95 stand-alone
    > sigh.....
    > perhaps nz can become another aussie state.

    Get uncapped wireless... I pay $100 for 256k

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 28, 2004
  6. Bruce Simpson wrote:
    > They also seem to forget that, thanks to the route the Southern Cross
    > cable takes, NZ is actually closer to the rest of the world than
    > Australia -- but our DSL rates are still higher.

    Economies of scale?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 28, 2004
  7. L33T

    Geri Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Bruce Simpson wrote:
    > > They also seem to forget that, thanks to the route the Southern Cross
    > > cable takes, NZ is actually closer to the rest of the world than
    > > Australia -- but our DSL rates are still higher.

    > Economies of scale?

    No forced competition by the aussie government and accc.
    Geri, Jan 28, 2004
  8. Geri wrote:
    >>>They also seem to forget that, thanks to the route the Southern Cross
    >>>cable takes, NZ is actually closer to the rest of the world than
    >>>Australia -- but our DSL rates are still higher.

    >>Economies of scale?

    > No forced competition by the aussie government and accc.

    So why'd they re-introduce caps?

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 28, 2004
  9. On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:26:26 +1300, "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >L33T wrote:
    >> http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/communications/0,2000061791,39115843,00.htm
    >> for 512kbps downstream...
    >> a.. 300MB for AU$49.95 with a bundle, AU$69.95 stand-alone
    >> a.. 1GB for AU$59.95 with a bundle, AU$79.95 stand-alone
    >> a.. 12GB for AU$79.95 with a bundle, AU$99.95 stand-alone
    >> a.. 20GB for AU$129.95 with a bundle, AU$159.95 stand-alone
    >> sigh.....
    >> perhaps nz can become another aussie state.

    >Get uncapped wireless... I pay $100 for 256k

    Unfortunately, most people don't live in an area covered by wireless.
    There's also the issue of what wireless providers will do if/when DSL
    prices drop -- they may find that they're no longer able to offer a
    cmopetitive service.

    Bruce Simpson, Jan 28, 2004
  10. Bruce Simpson wrote:
    >>>perhaps nz can become another aussie state.

    >>Get uncapped wireless... I pay $100 for 256k

    > Unfortunately, most people don't live in an area covered by wireless.
    > There's also the issue of what wireless providers will do if/when DSL
    > prices drop -- they may find that they're no longer able to offer a
    > cmopetitive service.

    I don't get the "people don't live in the area" crap... get a group
    together, and buy some gear, buy a feed, it's not hard, or expensive.

    For me it will almost always be cheaper... well, unless the "you must
    have a home phone too" rule gets dropped.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 28, 2004
  11. On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 16:24:48 +1300, "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >>>Get uncapped wireless... I pay $100 for 256k

    >> Unfortunately, most people don't live in an area covered by wireless.
    >> There's also the issue of what wireless providers will do if/when DSL
    >> prices drop -- they may find that they're no longer able to offer a
    >> cmopetitive service.

    >I don't get the "people don't live in the area" crap... get a group
    >together, and buy some gear, buy a feed, it's not hard, or expensive.

    What do you use for a feed, how much does it cost, how many users will
    it support and what becomes the individual cost/bandwidth?

    >For me it will almost always be cheaper... well, unless the "you must
    >have a home phone too" rule gets dropped.

    So why hasn't wireless taken over in countries such as the USA where
    DSL is actually affordable?

    Bruce Simpson, Jan 28, 2004
  12. Bruce Simpson wrote:
    >>I don't get the "people don't live in the area" crap... get a group
    >>together, and buy some gear, buy a feed, it's not hard, or expensive.

    > What do you use for a feed, how much does it cost, how many users will
    > it support and what becomes the individual cost/bandwidth?

    We have a 2Mb feed just outside of the CBD.
    How Much? It's a semi commercial operation, so I wont go into specifics,
    but enough that 20 or so users hang off it, and it pays for itself and a
    bit of cash for future toys/investment in new technology.

    >>For me it will almost always be cheaper... well, unless the "you must
    >>have a home phone too" rule gets dropped.

    > So why hasn't wireless taken over in countries such as the USA where
    > DSL is actually affordable?

    People unwilling to invest time? Do they make you have a phone line too?
    dunno, you'd have to ask them.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 28, 2004
  13. L33T

    Steven H Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:39:32 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    any chance on getting some _decent_ infomation about pricing

    Steven H - Dunedin, New Zealand
    ..net Geek
    Steven H, Jan 28, 2004
  14. Steven H wrote:
    > any chance on getting some _decent_ infomation about pricing

    You have snipped too much... in regards to what?
    If wireless, I pay $100 a month.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 29, 2004
  15. L33T

    Steven H Guest

    On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:01:25 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Steven H wrote:
    >> any chance on getting some _decent_ infomation about pricing

    > You have snipped too much... in regards to what?
    > If wireless, I pay $100 a month.

    yea for wireless

    i went to scarfies.net.nz and all it tells me about pricing is that it
    "starts from $20 per month" i just want a table telling me what xmegs at
    xspeed costs.

    Steven H, Jan 29, 2004
  16. Steven H wrote:
    > yea for wireless
    > i went to scarfies.net.nz and all it tells me about pricing is that it
    > "starts from $20 per month" i just want a table telling me what xmegs at
    > xspeed costs.

    right... well, $25 per 64k for residential,
    But ummm, no-one has over 512k yet.
    2MB is the highest available at the moment.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Jan 29, 2004
  17. L33T

    Steven H Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:01:49 +1300, T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Steven H wrote:
    >> yea for wireless
    >> i went to scarfies.net.nz and all it tells me about pricing is that it
    >> "starts from $20 per month" i just want a table telling me what xmegs at
    >> xspeed costs.

    > right... well, $25 per 64k for residential,
    > But ummm, no-one has over 512k yet.
    > 2MB is the highest available at the moment.

    ahh sweet - can that info be put up on the website, i will have to keep an
    eye on it for when it becomes cost effective.

    Steven H, Jan 29, 2004
  18. Steven H wrote:
    >>right... well, $25 per 64k for residential,
    >>But ummm, no-one has over 512k yet.
    >>2MB is the highest available at the moment.

    > ahh sweet - can that info be put up on the website, i will have to keep an
    > eye on it for when it becomes cost effective.

    I'll have it updated.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz