    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and
    opposite expert. - Arthur C. Clarke

    Aaron Lawrence, May 14, 2006

  2. Hi there,

    Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    > http://tinyurl.com/h7hb6

    Nice. I'm running MythTV here, and will record and transcode
    a few shows to DVD, so my Kiwi folks can see them. That makes
    what I do (mostly) legal... :)

    > So, when's our turn?

    You mean you get a turn in NZ? :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Chris Wilkinson, May 14, 2006

  3. On Mon, 15 May 2006 00:30:46 +1200, someone purporting to be Aaron
    Lawrence didst scrawl:

    > http://tinyurl.com/h7hb6
    >
    > So, when's our turn?

    In progress, and has been since before the last election. Not sure why
    it's taking so long.

    > Mind you, the DMCA comes along with that so maybe not ...

    One good reason not to get into FTA negotiations with the Yanks until
    after the ink is dry on our changes. One of the conditions of the AUS-FTA
    was that the Aussies not liberalise their copyright laws (which were even
    more rigid than ours, and we're one of the most-curtailed nations on the
    planet) without also legislating in the style of the fascism that is the
    DMCA.

    --
    Matthew Poole
    "Don't use force. Get a bigger hammer."

    Matthew Poole, May 15, 2006
  4. Aaron Lawrence

    Allistar Guest

    Aaron Lawrence wrote:

    > http://tinyurl.com/h7hb6
    >
    > So, when's our turn?
    >
    > Mind you, the DMCA comes along with that so maybe not ...

    I don't understand how products like iPods can be legally sold in NZ when
    the very feature they provide is against the law. Sure, you could put your
    own musical creations on there, but iPod marketing suggests you put
    copyrighted material on there - which is illegal in NZ.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, May 15, 2006
  5. On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:52:49 +1200, someone purporting to be Allistar
    didst scrawl:

    > Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    >
    >> http://tinyurl.com/h7hb6
    >>
    >> So, when's our turn?
    >>
    >> Mind you, the DMCA comes along with that so maybe not ...

    > I don't understand how products like iPods can be legally sold in NZ when
    > the very feature they provide is against the law. Sure, you could put your
    > own musical creations on there, but iPod marketing suggests you put
    > copyrighted material on there - which is illegal in NZ.

    Why are guns sold here? I mean, you might use one to murder someone, or in
    the commission of a robbery.
    That something MIGHT be used for an illegal purpose doesn't make the
    product itself illegal. Also, you can legally buy MP3's off the 'net and
    use them on an iPod, or you could find a music label that has a clue and
    gives you explicit permission to convert their CD's to MP3 (or provides
    MP3'd versions of the tracks). There are a number of ways in which you can
    get music onto an iPod without breaking the law in any way.

    Matthew Poole, May 15, 2006
  6. Aaron Lawrence

    shannon Guest

    Matthew Poole wrote:
    > On Mon, 15 May 2006 13:52:49 +1200, someone purporting to be Allistar
    > didst scrawl:
    >
    >> Aaron Lawrence wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://tinyurl.com/h7hb6
    >>>
    >>> So, when's our turn?
    >>>
    >>> Mind you, the DMCA comes along with that so maybe not ...

    >> I don't understand how products like iPods can be legally sold in NZ when
    >> the very feature they provide is against the law. Sure, you could put your
    >> own musical creations on there, but iPod marketing suggests you put
    >> copyrighted material on there - which is illegal in NZ.
    >>

    > Why are guns sold here? I mean, you might use one to murder someone, or in
    > the commission of a robbery.
    > That something MIGHT be used for an illegal purpose doesn't make the
    > product itself illegal. Also, you can legally buy MP3's off the 'net and
    > use them on an iPod, or you could find a music label that has a clue and
    > gives you explicit permission to convert their CD's to MP3 (or provides
    > MP3'd versions of the tracks). There are a number of ways in which you can
    > get music onto an iPod without breaking the law in any way.

    podcasts f'rinstance
    Or thousands of netlabels with creative commons licensed content like
    http://www.jamendo.com/uk/
    http://www.oggfrog.com/music/
    http://www.trotch.com/
    http://publicdomain4u.com/
    http://www.archive.org/details/audio
    and many more

    Personally I'll put whatever I want to on my ipod, its OUR culture, not
    Sony's
    Some great classic albums available here
    http://www.demonoid.com/files/?cate...ty=All&seeded=0&external=2&query=RS 500&uid=0

    shannon, May 15, 2006