    is there a record and if so where , for how long etc etc?

    cheers,
    el p.

    El Penguino, Sep 6, 2005

  2. El Penguino wrote:
    > Hi peeps,
    > can anyone tell me if there is an audit trail down to file level on
    > windows 2003 server? What I want to know is, if a domain user opens a
    > file , say a .xls file ( on the server) but closes it without changes,
    > is there a record and if so where , for how long etc etc?

    I believe you can... but the default logging is a pain in the arse to
    use, and either logs too much, or not enough.

    The easiest way is to set the folder with the correct permissions to
    begin with, and have a decent backup system to cope with when users ****
    up whatever they were trying to do.

    Only my opinion

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Sep 6, 2005

  3. El Penguino

    Baloo Guest

    In Windows 2000, turn on auditing using the local security setting for
    "Audit Object Access and "Audit Privlidge Use" in the "Local Security
    Policy" MMC which is in the Administrative tools folder. (Audit Policy is
    under Local Polices in the tree on the lhs). Then go to the
    file/folder/object you want to monitor and right click, select properties,
    secuirty, advanced, auditing tab. There you select the user/group you want
    to audit and the access you want to audit . Events audited appear in the
    security log. It may be different on 2003, but I would start by trying
    this. Be judicious with auditing, it will have an impact on disk space. As
    Dave said, good.reliable backups may be the way to go.

    hth

    Baloo

    Baloo, Sep 7, 2005
  4. El Penguino

    El Penguino Guest

    On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 08:30:12 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >I believe you can... but the default logging is a pain in the arse to
    >use, and either logs too much, or not enough.
    >
    >The easiest way is to set the folder with the correct permissions to
    >begin with, and have a decent backup system to cope with when users ****
    >up whatever they were trying to do.

    I seem to remember that in the properties for the file their is some
    variable for "owner" or something - is that right?

    Anyways, thanks chaps , you have answered the question .

    El Penguino, Sep 7, 2005