Audio & Video Cables Question

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by SSeaW, Nov 6, 2003.

  1. SSeaW

    SSeaW Guest

    I'm just giving an example of some equipment I have.

    My DVD player (JVC) has all 3 types of video connections, Composite, S-Video
    and Component and of course it also comes with it's own set of Composite RCA
    audio cables to make the front left/right connection to my TV set. OK, so I
    choose to make the video connection via Component and my audio is digital
    (fiber optic cable)...I ditched the Composite audio cables because when we
    play DVD's we usually play them thru a receiver for surround sound, so who
    needs audio coming from my TV speakers?

    Anyways here is my question. If I went out and bought say Monster Cables
    (Component), would my picture look any better rather then using the
    Component cables that came with my DVD player?

    Is it really worth it to go out and spend 50 plus dollars on Monster Cables?

    In the past, I have always done this because I just assumed you get better
    results with 50 plus dollar cables but maybe not?

    I would just like your opinions, is it more then sufficient to use the
    cables that came with your unit to make the audio and video connections
    rather then spending tons of money on cables such as Monster? I can
    understand if your going to make a digital audio connection, you would have
    to buy your digital audio cable, because most companies do not give you one
    of those, but for your other connections (video and audio (anaolog) is it
    really worth doing it?

    Sorry for the long post, I probably babbled here, it's late and I'm tired.

    Thanks.
    SSeaW, Nov 6, 2003

  2. "SSeaW" <SSeaW AT comcast DOT net> wrote:

    > Anyways here is my question. If I went out and bought say Monster Cables
    > (Component), would my picture look any better rather then using the
    > Component cables that came with my DVD player?

    You realize, of course, that you've just asked a Religious Question, hm?

    The general consensus is that the expensive cables make no practical
    difference except to certain Golden-Eared (or -Eyed) individuals who claim
    to be able to detect one. The one possible exception lies in using heavy
    braided wire for bass speaker connections, especially high-powered. But
    that's about it.

    If you have a few bucks to throw away, buy one set of expensive cables and
    hook them up to something that will allow you to easily spot poor
    quality--e.g., from your DVD player to a large-screen monitor. Do A/B
    comparisons with the cables you have. I sincerely doubt you'll see any
    difference.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Nov 6, 2003

  3. SSeaW wrote:

    > I'm just giving an example of some equipment I have.
    >
    > My DVD player (JVC) has all 3 types of video connections, Composite, S-Video
    > and Component and of course it also comes with it's own set of Composite RCA
    > audio cables to make the front left/right connection to my TV set. OK, so I
    > choose to make the video connection via Component and my audio is digital
    > (fiber optic cable)...I ditched the Composite audio cables because when we
    > play DVD's we usually play them thru a receiver for surround sound, so who
    > needs audio coming from my TV speakers?
    >
    > Anyways here is my question. If I went out and bought say Monster Cables
    > (Component), would my picture look any better rather then using the
    > Component cables that came with my DVD player?
    >
    > Is it really worth it to go out and spend 50 plus dollars on Monster Cables?
    >
    > In the past, I have always done this because I just assumed you get better
    > results with 50 plus dollar cables but maybe not?
    >
    > I would just like your opinions, is it more then sufficient to use the
    > cables that came with your unit to make the audio and video connections
    > rather then spending tons of money on cables such as Monster? I can
    > understand if your going to make a digital audio connection, you would have
    > to buy your digital audio cable, because most companies do not give you one
    > of those, but for your other connections (video and audio (anaolog) is it
    > really worth doing it?
    >
    > Sorry for the long post, I probably babbled here, it's late and I'm tired.

    There's something to be said for better enginered cables... But it
    depends on the specs, not the cost.

    If you can locate the specs, you're looking for "dB Loss", usually rated
    as per 100 feet; the lower the loss, the more signal reaches the
    destination.

    If you're dealing with patch cabling (say, under 5 feet), the overall
    loss may not nessisarilly be noticeable, unless the loss is HEAVY. Once
    you deal with longer runs, you'll want the low-loss stuff bigtime.

    There's a bunch of electronic computations to judge how much loss you'd
    be looking at, but that can be kept for another day.

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)
    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Nov 6, 2003