    using my desktop computer?

    Thanks in advance
    Denny
    Denny B, Oct 14, 2005

  2. Denny B

    why? Guest

    On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 11:48:53 -0600, Denny B wrote:

    > I am familiar with a computer but have never recorded
    >audio tapes from a tape player onto a computer to then transfer
    >to a audio CD-R. I have recorded music from a music C-D
    >to a audio CD-R using Adaptec CD Creator software program.
    >
    >I know that you connect the line output of the tape recorder to the
    >Line -Input on the back of the computer. Now after fiddling around
    >trying to record without success, it seems that you need some software
    >program to record or convert the audio tape signal first and store

    Nero SoundTrax? It's part of Nero 6 and most likely other versions.

    Depending on the version of your Adaptec CD Creator -

    Sound Stream- Lets you make compilation of music cds from MP3s, LPs,CDs
    and more.

    CD Spin Doctor: Adaptec bundles an audio cable with the retail package
    of Easy CD Creator 4 Deluxe to allow you to connect your computer's
    soundcard with your stereo system. This is where Easy CD Creator can get
    really interesting-you can actually create custom audio CDs from your
    old vinyl LPs and cassettes via their Spin Doctor program. This can be
    an invaluable tool for those old collections that you just can't find on
    CD in the stores.

    > it in a file. Then open that file and use the Adaptec program to
    >create
    >an audio CD.
    >
    >How do I actually make an audio CD from an audio tape recording
    >using my desktop computer?

    As you described above, line-in from tape, use some software , save
    recording, and program ro create the CD.

    >Thanks in advance
    >Denny

    Me
    why?, Oct 14, 2005

  3. Denny B

    dadiOH Guest

    Denny B wrote:
    > How do I actually make an audio CD from an audio tape recording
    > using my desktop computer?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Denny

    All you need to know in my dandies, see below.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Oct 14, 2005
  4. First of all you'll need to get a program which 'records' your input-ed
    audio. It'll most likely be saved as a WAV or MP3 file, but if WAV you can
    convert to mp3 later. You need another program to create your audio CD and
    that's all. You will find these on the www. Look for freebies which do WAW
    reocording, and WAV to MP3 conversion. Your CD-Rom authoring software should
    do the rest. (Adaptec).

    C.C.

    P.S. Look for WAVELAB LITE on the www. Great!

    Champagne Charlie, Oct 14, 2005
  5. Denny B

    Justisaur Guest

    Denny B wrote:
    > I am familiar with a computer but have never recorded
    > audio tapes from a tape player onto a computer to then transfer
    > to a audio CD-R. I have recorded music from a music C-D
    > to a audio CD-R using Adaptec CD Creator software program.
    >
    > I know that you connect the line output of the tape recorder to the
    > Line -Input on the back of the computer. Now after fiddling around
    > trying to record without success, it seems that you need some software
    > program to record or convert the audio tape signal first and store
    > it in a file. Then open that file and use the Adaptec program to
    > create
    > an audio CD.

    Assuming you use windows, sound recorder will record .wav files from
    audio input.

    Sound recorder in windows XP is in Start -> All Programs -> Accessories
    -> Entertainment. It's in previous versions of windows as well, IIRC
    the same place. If it's not there you may need to install it from the
    windows cd.

    You can then just copy the .wav files onto a cd with any program that
    lets you make CDs. I'd suggest naming the the files in the order you
    want them on the CD, like
    1 - Devil's Haircut
    2 - Looser
    3 - Love Slave

    etc...

    If you want to make an MP3 CD you need to convert the .wav files to
    ..mp3 first. there's a lot of free programs out there to do that. I
    think you can even do that with winamp.

    - Justisaur
    Justisaur, Oct 14, 2005
  6. Denny B

    Mitch Guest

    In article <_cS3f.6290$>, Denny B
    <> wrote:

    > I am familiar with a computer but have never recorded
    > audio tapes from a tape player onto a computer to then transfer
    > to a audio CD-R. I have recorded music from a music C-D
    > to a audio CD-R using Adaptec CD Creator software program.
    >
    > I know that you connect the line output of the tape recorder to the
    > Line -Input on the back of the computer. Now after fiddling around
    > trying to record without success, it seems that you need some software
    > program to record or convert the audio tape signal first and store
    > it in a file. Then open that file and use the Adaptec program to
    > create
    > an audio CD.
    >
    > How do I actually make an audio CD from an audio tape recording
    > using my desktop computer?

    You've got it all right.

    Disregard the parts of the advice about converting or saving as MP3;
    if you are making audio CDs, you never use MP3 files at all. You might
    even end up converting into MP3 only to convert out to WAV or AIFF
    again to make the CD.

    I didn't see anyone yet comment on automatic track division; I don't
    know which tool is the favorite for this under Windows (which brings up
    the point -- ALWAYS tell us which OS you are using. It's important.)
    Mitch, Oct 15, 2005
  7. Denny B

    PC Guest

    "Denny B" <> wrote in message
    > I am familiar with a computer but have never recorded
    > audio tapes from a tape player onto a computer to then transfer
    > to a audio CD-R. I have recorded music from a music C-D
    > to a audio CD-R using Adaptec CD Creator software program.
    >
    > I know that you connect the line output of the tape recorder to the
    > Line -Input on the back of the computer. Now after fiddling around
    > trying to record without success, it seems that you need some software
    > program to record or convert the audio tape signal first and store
    > it in a file. Then open that file and use the Adaptec program to
    > create
    > an audio CD.
    >
    > How do I actually make an audio CD from an audio tape recording
    > using my desktop computer?
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Denny

    Denny

    Get "Audacity" from here http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
    It's free, versatile and stable.
    It will allow you to trim off excess lead in/out, normalise the volume,
    remove noise and a whole host of other 'effects'.

    Install Audacity, plug in your tape deck and press play, click 'Record' (red
    button) on the tool bar of Audacity.
    Click stop at the appropriate time and go File, Save as (use the track name
    from the tape sleeve) then click File, new to clear the deck ready for
    recording the next track.

    I would suggest you record each track and save as individual .wav files
    (makes burning CD's easier)
    There is no need to convert them to mp3's unless you are going to play them
    on your computer or a mp3 capable player.
    (Audacity doesn't natively save mp3's for legal reasons,
    get the (free) lame mp3 plugin from here
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/Lame_Encoder.htm)

    Problems:
    Your most likely to find the settings in Windows 'Volume Control' applet the
    source of most problems.
    Note when you open it (double click the speaker icon in the system tray or
    Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices) go to Options, Properties and click
    the recording button to see the 'recording' controls (as distinct from the
    'play' controls normally shown)

    Do allow 'time' as the more time you put in during the recording and editing
    phase the better the result.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Oct 15, 2005