audio recorder for MP3?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Jan 29, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hello.

    I just wondered if there is a good freeware audio recorder available
    that can record things direct from source in MP3 instead of wav to
    save space?

    I have a minidisc that I would like to record to my computer so I can
    make an extra copy down to a blank MD. It is 159 Minutes of mixed
    music the recording that's why I don'r really want to do it to a wav,
    but still need fairly good quality. Perhaps MP3 192KB bit rate would
    be sufficient?

    If you have any other suggestions on how I can do this I'd love to
    know. Time is of the essence though as I need it for in less than 7
    hours time.

    Thanks

    John

    John, Jan 29, 2004

  2. John

    MattB Guest

    Nomad Jukebox 3 would do it, but it seems like a lot to spend for
    transferring a MD. Hard disks are cheap. If you need more space a big HD
    would be cheaper than a JB3.

    Matt

    MattB, Jan 29, 2004

  3. John

    Night_Seer Guest

    John wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > I just wondered if there is a good freeware audio recorder available
    > that can record things direct from source in MP3 instead of wav to
    > save space?
    >
    > I have a minidisc that I would like to record to my computer so I can
    > make an extra copy down to a blank MD. It is 159 Minutes of mixed
    > music the recording that's why I don'r really want to do it to a wav,
    > but still need fairly good quality. Perhaps MP3 192KB bit rate would
    > be sufficient?
    >
    > If you have any other suggestions on how I can do this I'd love to
    > know. Time is of the essence though as I need it for in less than 7
    > hours time.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

    Well most audio recorders would record in wav, and then convert that
    into MP3, not sure if you can do it straight to MP3.

    --
    Night_Seer

    Night_Seer, Jan 30, 2004
  4. John

    John Davis Guest

    Someone wrote

    > > I just wondered if there is a good freeware audio recorder available
    > > that can record things direct from source in MP3 instead of wav to
    > > save space?

    It is not free, but Total Recorder from www.highcriteria.com is only
    twelve bucks US. Does a great job. records in many different formats of
    which MP3 is but 2, you will need to download the LAME codec however
    but that's free

    John Davis, Jan 30, 2004
  5. John

    colin Guest

    http://www.cdex.n3.net/

    colin, Jan 30, 2004
  6. John

    Ron Guest

    John Davis <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Someone wrote
    >
    > > > I just wondered if there is a good freeware audio recorder available
    > > > that can record things direct from source in MP3 instead of wav to
    > > > save space?

    > It is not free, but Total Recorder from www.highcriteria.com is only
    > twelve bucks US. Does a great job. records in many different formats of
    > which MP3 is but 2, you will need to download the LAME codec however
    > but that's free

    I came across Super Mp3 Recorder Pro (http://www.supermp3recorder.com)
    the other day I surfed Internet. It should be what you may need.

    Ron, Feb 1, 2004