    did download the latest Realtek HD driver, but that didn't
    seem to change anything.

    I'm open to suggestion.

    Bobby Johnson, Aug 2, 2008

  2. Bobby Johnson

    Carlos Guest

    Bobby,
    Did you try system restore let's say, 2 days back in time?
    I always keep shortcuts to different audio test files in order to test my
    system: stereo mp3's, 5.1 ac3 dolby's, etc.
    That way I am able to isolate at least half of the possible causes.
    Regarding the online video clips, could it be a decoder issue?
    What kind of audio enconding do they have?
    Freeware Mediainfo
    (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=86862&package_id=90341) can give you a hand here.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 2, 2008

  3. Carlos,

    When I went to do a system restore I suddenly found that it
    had been turned off, but I didn't do it. I had made an
    Acronis backup in May and I restored the system from that.
    The audio is now working correctly.

    I did find a several references on the internet and at
    Microsoft of which I tried several of the recommended
    solutions - none of them worked. It seems this happens
    quite a bit in both Vista x64 & x86 based on what I found
    and no one has found a definitive reason as to what triggers
    this.

    The clips were off CNN and they must be using Adobe since I
    was prompted to install the Adobe plug-in for I.E.

    Thanks for your input.

    Bobby

    Bobby Johnson, Aug 2, 2008
  4. Hi,
    did you walk to systems control -> sound and audio ?

    depending on your graphicscard , which allready may have an audio controller
    too, the default output could be switched to THAT device

    check the settings

    jk

    Juergen Kluth, Aug 4, 2008
  5. I did check, but there was nothing to choose. I would
    presume it would be a wave file sent via internet since it
    was on-line video news clips, but don't know for sure.

    Bobby Johnson, Aug 4, 2008