Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by LineOut, Apr 18, 2008.

  1. LineOut

    LineOut Guest

    I have a Dell Dimension 8400 WinXP system with an Audigy2 ZS sound
    card. Two of the three line outs (#'s 2 & 3) have suddenly failed
    after Cubase froze, precipitating a difficult shut-down. During that
    shutdown a blue screen appeared mentioning a hardware failure. Upon
    rebooting, everything seemed to work fine except the soundcard's two
    outs

    I bought a new sound card, an Audigy 2 (not ZS) and installed it. It
    installed fine, according to Windows, but it had exactly the same
    problem that my original sound card had, i.e., those same two of the
    three line outs would not work. So, I removed the new card, replaced
    my original card back into my computer, made sure that the Audigy 2 ZS
    had the most recent drivers, and the prob persists.

    Moreover, a plug-in that I use for recording in Cubase, Ivory
    (acoustic piano), that normally produces a beautifully realistic piano
    sound, now sounds terribly distorted. I suspect that the sound card
    problem and the Ivory problem are related, since they both deal with
    audio and they both failed at the same time. Confusingly, other
    plug-in's (bass guitar, etc.) do not sound distorted.

    Any idea what is going on here, and a fix for it? TIA.
    LineOut, Apr 18, 2008

  2. LineOut

    thanatoid Guest

    LineOut <> wrote in

    > I have a Dell Dimension 8400 WinXP system with an Audigy2
    > ZS sound card. Two of the three line outs (#'s 2 & 3) have
    > suddenly failed after Cubase froze, precipitating a
    > difficult shut-down. During that shutdown a blue screen
    > appeared mentioning a hardware failure. Upon rebooting,
    > everything seemed to work fine except the soundcard's two
    > outs
    >
    > I bought a new sound card, an Audigy 2 (not ZS) and
    > installed it. It installed fine, according to Windows, but
    > it had exactly the same problem that my original sound card
    > had, i.e., those same two of the three line outs would not
    > work. So, I removed the new card, replaced my original card
    > back into my computer, made sure that the Audigy 2 ZS had
    > the most recent drivers, and the prob persists.
    >
    > Moreover, a plug-in that I use for recording in Cubase,
    > Ivory (acoustic piano), that normally produces a
    > beautifully realistic piano sound, now sounds terribly
    > distorted. I suspect that the sound card problem and the
    > Ivory problem are related, since they both deal with audio
    > and they both failed at the same time. Confusingly, other
    > plug-in's (bass guitar, etc.) do not sound distorted.
    >
    > Any idea what is going on here, and a fix for it? TIA.

    Weirdorama. I doubt anyone here can help you. Go to music
    composition/editing groups.

    --
    The lonely child plays with eternity, while a gang of children
    plays with time.

    Karel Capek
    thanatoid, Apr 19, 2008

  3. LineOut

    chuckcar Guest

    LineOut <> wrote in

    > I have a Dell Dimension 8400 WinXP system with an Audigy2 ZS sound
    > card. Two of the three line outs (#'s 2 & 3) have suddenly failed
    > after Cubase froze, precipitating a difficult shut-down. During that
    > shutdown a blue screen appeared mentioning a hardware failure. Upon
    > rebooting, everything seemed to work fine except the soundcard's two
    > outs
    >
    > I bought a new sound card, an Audigy 2 (not ZS) and installed it. It
    > installed fine, according to Windows, but it had exactly the same
    > problem that my original sound card had, i.e., those same two of the
    > three line outs would not work. So, I removed the new card, replaced
    > my original card back into my computer, made sure that the Audigy 2 ZS
    > had the most recent drivers, and the prob persists.
    >
    > Moreover, a plug-in that I use for recording in Cubase, Ivory
    > (acoustic piano), that normally produces a beautifully realistic piano
    > sound, now sounds terribly distorted. I suspect that the sound card
    > problem and the Ivory problem are related, since they both deal with
    > audio and they both failed at the same time. Confusingly, other
    > plug-in's (bass guitar, etc.) do not sound distorted.
    >
    > Any idea what is going on here, and a fix for it? TIA.

    Boot up and log in as administrator. remove *everthing* in device
    manager (right click on my computer, left click properties and you can
    see it from there) under sound video and game controllers and anything
    with either a yellow mark or a red X beside it. Reboot and check device
    manager again for the red and yellow marks and report back.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Apr 19, 2008