Audio output "hum"

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Ionizer, Jan 2, 2004.

  1. Ionizer

    Ionizer Guest

    I'm trying to connect my computer to my home audio system so that I can play
    all these GB of mp3 files on the computer through the "big" speakers. But
    no matter how I try to make this connection, I'm getting a very noticeable
    and very annoying HUM noise from the home audio speakers.

    I've eliminated several things as possible problems: it's not the wiring or
    the connections or the jacks between my sound card and the home audio amp;
    I've made precisely the same connection to my old PIII W98 system's Yamaha
    sound card, and there was no hum whatsoever. Also, it does not appear to be
    a fault with my internal sound card (SoundBlaster Audigy) as I have just
    hooked up an *external* "Creative SoundBlaster MP3+" audio card (USB
    connection) and the hum is, although slightly diminished, STILL THERE!!!

    So, it doesn't appear to be the wiring or the connections or the home audio
    unit, OR the sound card, unless I've missed a step in my process of
    elimination. And I've just updated the drivers for both sound cards, and
    tried playing files through both MusicMatch and WinAmp. No discernable
    difference, so it's not my playback software.

    My system is a 2.8GHz P-4 Dell Dimensinon 8300 running XP Home, fully
    patched, 512MB of RAM. Any suggestions beyond continuing to pull my hair
    out are welcome.

    Regards,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Jan 2, 2004

    michael turner, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Ionizer wrote:
    > I'm trying to connect my computer to my home audio system so that I
    > can play all these GB of mp3 files on the computer through the "big"
    > speakers. But no matter how I try to make this connection, I'm
    > getting a very noticeable and very annoying HUM noise from the home
    > audio speakers.
    >
    > I've eliminated several things as possible problems: it's not the
    > wiring or the connections or the jacks between my sound card and the
    > home audio amp; I've made precisely the same connection to my old
    > PIII W98 system's Yamaha sound card, and there was no hum whatsoever.
    > Also, it does not appear to be a fault with my internal sound card
    > (SoundBlaster Audigy) as I have just hooked up an *external*
    > "Creative SoundBlaster MP3+" audio card (USB connection) and the hum
    > is, although slightly diminished, STILL THERE!!!
    >
    > So, it doesn't appear to be the wiring or the connections or the home
    > audio unit, OR the sound card, unless I've missed a step in my
    > process of elimination. And I've just updated the drivers for both
    > sound cards, and tried playing files through both MusicMatch and
    > WinAmp. No discernable difference, so it's not my playback software.
    >
    > My system is a 2.8GHz P-4 Dell Dimensinon 8300 running XP Home, fully
    > patched, 512MB of RAM. Any suggestions beyond continuing to pull my
    > hair out are welcome.

    Sounds like you got a ground/earth-loop. Are the computer and amp plugged
    into two different power-outlets? If so try running them off the one outlet.
    michael turner, Jan 2, 2004
  4. Ionizer

    ICee Guest

    Ionizer wrote:
    > I'm trying to connect my computer to my home audio system so that I
    > can play all these GB of mp3 files on the computer through the "big"
    > speakers. But no matter how I try to make this connection, I'm
    > getting a very noticeable and very annoying HUM noise from the home
    > audio speakers.
    >
    > I've eliminated several things as possible problems: it's not the
    > wiring or the connections or the jacks between my sound card and the
    > home audio amp; I've made precisely the same connection to my old
    > PIII W98 system's Yamaha sound card, and there was no hum whatsoever.
    > Also, it does not appear to be a fault with my internal sound card
    > (SoundBlaster Audigy) as I have just hooked up an *external*
    > "Creative SoundBlaster MP3+" audio card (USB connection) and the hum
    > is, although slightly diminished, STILL THERE!!!
    >
    > So, it doesn't appear to be the wiring or the connections or the home
    > audio unit, OR the sound card, unless I've missed a step in my
    > process of elimination. And I've just updated the drivers for both
    > sound cards, and tried playing files through both MusicMatch and
    > WinAmp. No discernable difference, so it's not my playback software.
    >
    > My system is a 2.8GHz P-4 Dell Dimensinon 8300 running XP Home, fully
    > patched, 512MB of RAM. Any suggestions beyond continuing to pull my
    > hair out are welcome.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ian.

    Audio hum is almost always caused by poor grounding. Are the computer
    and the audio amplifier both plugged into grounded outlets?
    ICee, Jan 2, 2004
  5. Ionizer

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Ionizer said:

    > I'm trying to connect my computer to my home audio system so that I can play
    > all these GB of mp3 files on the computer through the "big" speakers. But
    > no matter how I try to make this connection, I'm getting a very noticeable
    > and very annoying HUM noise from the home audio speakers.
    >
    > I've eliminated several things as possible problems: it's not the wiring or
    > the connections or the jacks between my sound card and the home audio amp;
    > I've made precisely the same connection to my old PIII W98 system's Yamaha
    > sound card, and there was no hum whatsoever. Also, it does not appear to be
    > a fault with my internal sound card (SoundBlaster Audigy) as I have just
    > hooked up an *external* "Creative SoundBlaster MP3+" audio card (USB
    > connection) and the hum is, although slightly diminished, STILL THERE!!!
    >
    > So, it doesn't appear to be the wiring or the connections or the home audio
    > unit, OR the sound card, unless I've missed a step in my process of
    > elimination. And I've just updated the drivers for both sound cards, and
    > tried playing files through both MusicMatch and WinAmp. No discernable
    > difference, so it's not my playback software.
    >
    > My system is a 2.8GHz P-4 Dell Dimensinon 8300 running XP Home, fully
    > patched, 512MB of RAM. Any suggestions beyond continuing to pull my hair
    > out are welcome.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ian.

    Along with the other recommendations, check that the mic is muted, actually,
    check all your record levels.
    Double click the speaker in the systray | Options | Properties.
    Brian H¹©, Jan 2, 2004
  6. Ionizer

    Juan Pérez Guest

    In news:bt4tkp$3b0do$-berlin.de,
    Ionizer <> typed:
    > I'm trying to connect my computer to my home audio system so that I
    > can play all these GB of mp3 files on the computer through the "big"
    > speakers. But no matter how I try to make this connection, I'm
    > getting a very noticeable and very annoying HUM noise from the home
    > audio speakers.
    >
    > I've eliminated several things as possible problems: it's not the
    > wiring or the connections or the jacks between my sound card and the
    > home audio amp; I've made precisely the same connection to my old
    > PIII W98 system's Yamaha sound card, and there was no hum whatsoever.
    > Also, it does not appear to be a fault with my internal sound card
    > (SoundBlaster Audigy) as I have just hooked up an *external*
    > "Creative SoundBlaster MP3+" audio card (USB connection) and the hum
    > is, although slightly diminished, STILL THERE!!!
    >
    > So, it doesn't appear to be the wiring or the connections or the home
    > audio unit, OR the sound card, unless I've missed a step in my
    > process of elimination. And I've just updated the drivers for both
    > sound cards, and tried playing files through both MusicMatch and
    > WinAmp. No discernable difference, so it's not my playback software.
    >
    > My system is a 2.8GHz P-4 Dell Dimensinon 8300 running XP Home, fully
    > patched, 512MB of RAM. Any suggestions beyond continuing to pull my
    > hair out are welcome.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ian.

    Try attenuator cables to connect speakers to pc.

    --
    Juan
    R.B. deux
    Juan Pérez, Jan 3, 2004
  7. Ionizer

    dadiOH Guest

    Ionizer wrote:
    > I'm trying to connect my computer to my home audio system so that I
    > can play all these GB of mp3 files on the computer through the
    > "big" speakers. But no matter how I try to make this connection,
    > I'm getting a very noticeable and very annoying HUM noise from the
    > home audio speakers.

    Could you hum a few bars of it for us? :)

    I'd vote for the ground too.

    --
    dadiOH
    _____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
    ____________________________
    dadiOH, Jan 3, 2004
  8. Ionizer

    CQ Guest

    dadiOH said...

    > I'd vote for the ground too.

    I would have thought you'd had time to get all that tequila out of your
    system by now.

    At least enough so as you could stay up off the ground.

    Happy New Year, dads ;-)
    --
    CQ
    CQ, Jan 3, 2004
  9. Ionizer

    dadiOH Guest

    CQ wrote:
    > dadiOH said...
    >
    >> I'd vote for the ground too.
    >>

    > I would have thought you'd had time to get all that tequila out of
    > your system by now.

    Rum, laddie, rum. And Noche Buena beer.

    > Happy New Year, dads ;-)

    And to you too, cappy q.

    --
    dadiOH
    _____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.0...
    ____________________________
    dadiOH, Jan 3, 2004
  10. Ionizer

    Loco Jones Guest

    "dadiOH" <> wrote in message
    > CQ wrote:
    > > dadiOH said...
    > >
    > >> I'd vote for the ground too.

    > > I would have thought you'd had time to get all that tequila
    > > out of your system by now.

    > Rum, laddie, rum. And Noche Buena beer.

    Well, if you can remain on the ground without hanging on, you certainly
    aren't drunk. Or drunk enough. ;-{)

    > > Happy New Year, dads ;-)

    > And to you too, cappy q.

    Adding my good wishes to you both, and those reading.
    Here's to '04 - cheers!

    - Loco -
    (Now Playing: Happy New Year - Spike Jones)
    Loco Jones, Jan 3, 2004
  11. Ionizer

    c.reifert Guest

    I'd agree with the ground as well (as if I'm not careful I'll get a hum in
    my dj setup at parties). As well as plugging into the same outlet,
    sometimes a ground wire between the computer and amp cases will take care of
    that (the amp should have a ground post to attach to, and you'll have to
    find a place on your pc case).

    Will

    c.reifert, Jan 3, 2004
  12. Ionizer

    David Wood Guest

    > I'm trying to connect my computer to my home audio system so that I can play
    > all these GB of mp3 files on the computer through the "big" speakers. But
    > no matter how I try to make this connection, I'm getting a very noticeable
    > and very annoying HUM noise from the home audio speakers.

    Yep, like the others have said, that would most likely be a ground loop.
    Do you have cable TV, and if so, do you have your TV or VCR connected to
    your stereo as well? If so, try disconnecting the cable TV line and see
    if the hum goes away.
    David Wood, Jan 3, 2004
  13. Ionizer

    Ionizer Guest

    "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    > I'm trying to connect my computer to my home audio system so that I can

    play
    > all these GB of mp3 files on the computer through the "big" speakers. But
    > no matter how I try to make this connection, I'm getting a very noticeable
    > and very annoying HUM noise from the home audio speakers.

    I want to thank everybody for their helpful hints. You've given me a new
    angle of attack for dealing with this problem which I had not considered.
    I'll post back later this weekend with, I hope, a complete success story.

    Many thanks,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Jan 3, 2004
  14. Ionizer

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Ionizer said:

    > "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    >> I'm trying to connect my computer to my home audio system so that I can play
    >> all these GB of mp3 files on the computer through the "big" speakers. But
    >> no matter how I try to make this connection, I'm getting a very noticeable
    >> and very annoying HUM noise from the home audio speakers.

    > I want to thank everybody for their helpful hints. You've given me a new
    > angle of attack for dealing with this problem which I had not considered.
    > I'll post back later this weekend with, I hope, a complete success story.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Ian.

    You had better, or the billed gets doubled.
    Brian H¹©, Jan 3, 2004
  15. Ionizer

    Brian H¹© Guest

    Brian H¹© said:

    > Ionizer said:
    >
    >> "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    >>> I'm trying to connect my computer to my home audio system so that I can play
    >>> all these GB of mp3 files on the computer through the "big" speakers. But
    >>> no matter how I try to make this connection, I'm getting a very noticeable
    >>> and very annoying HUM noise from the home audio speakers.

    >> I want to thank everybody for their helpful hints. You've given me a new
    >> angle of attack for dealing with this problem which I had not considered.
    >> I'll post back later this weekend with, I hope, a complete success story.
    >>
    >> Many thanks,
    >> Ian.

    > You had better, or the billed gets doubled.

    bill :-s
    Brian H¹©, Jan 3, 2004
  16. Ionizer

    BillyClub Guest

    On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 18:08:09 -0500, "Ionizer"
    <> wrote:

    >I'm trying to connect my computer to my home audio system so that I can play
    >all these GB of mp3 files on the computer through the "big" speakers. But
    >no matter how I try to make this connection, I'm getting a very noticeable
    >and very annoying HUM noise from the home audio speakers.
    >
    >Hope you solved your problem but if not, my experiences

    Had same problem going from comp. tower to rack system amp, OR to TV
    OR to VCR (stereo & TV & comp. on different circuits)
    Turned out it was a ground - loop as others have stated.
    My solution was Radio Shack, (Part# 270-054) Called a Ground-Loop
    Isolater, Price was $14.99 + tax AND problem solved.
    Worth a try, keep packaging amd reciept, to use if you have to return
    Good Luck
    BillyClub, Jan 14, 2004
  17. Ionizer

    Ionizer Guest

    "BillyClub" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 2 Jan 2004 18:08:09 -0500, "Ionizer"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >I'm trying to connect my computer to my home audio system so that I can

    play
    > >all these GB of mp3 files on the computer through the "big" speakers.

    But
    > >no matter how I try to make this connection, I'm getting a very

    noticeable
    > >and very annoying HUM noise from the home audio speakers.
    > >
    > >Hope you solved your problem but if not, my experiences

    > Had same problem going from comp. tower to rack system amp, OR to TV
    > OR to VCR (stereo & TV & comp. on different circuits)
    > Turned out it was a ground - loop as others have stated.
    > My solution was Radio Shack, (Part# 270-054) Called a Ground-Loop
    > Isolater, Price was $14.99 + tax AND problem solved.
    > Worth a try, keep packaging amd reciept, to use if you have to return
    > Good Luck

    Thanks, Billy:

    The way our basement is set up, it's pretty much impossible to permanently
    have the stereo and the computer connected to the same circuit- wires would
    be draped across the floor or strung unattractively from the ceiling. I
    could live with that, but my wife couldn't. I haven't gotten around to
    making another attempt to eliminate the hum following all the suggestions
    yet, but I'll definitely add yours to my list. Does this Radio Shack item
    require a direct connection between the stereo and the computer? Or is it
    something that just one of the two needs to be connected to?

    Regards,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Jan 14, 2004
  18. Ionizer

    Ionizer Guest

    "Ionizer" <> wrote in message

    >Does this Radio Shack item
    > require a direct connection between the stereo and the computer? Or is it
    > something that just one of the two needs to be connected to?

    Never mind- I just did my due diligence and found reference to the part:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=270-054

    It looks like exactly the sort of thing I need- something that works within
    the RCA cable connections, and can be tucked out of sight. I'll certainly
    be visiting my local Radio Shack shortly.

    Many thanks for the suggestion,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Jan 14, 2004
  19. Ionizer

    Paddy Guest

    "Ionizer" <> wrote in message news:<bu4fac$d13kj$-berlin.de>...
    > "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    >
    > >Does this Radio Shack item
    > > require a direct connection between the stereo and the computer? Or is it
    > > something that just one of the two needs to be connected to?

    > Never mind- I just did my due diligence and found reference to the part:
    > http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=270-054
    >
    > It looks like exactly the sort of thing I need- something that works within
    > the RCA cable connections, and can be tucked out of sight. I'll certainly
    > be visiting my local Radio Shack shortly.
    >
    > Many thanks for the suggestion,
    > Ian.

    I think it's been mentioned that the hum is probably due to an earth
    loop ... it nearly always is, unless you've made a wiring error. You
    might not realise what this means.

    It means that your equipment is connected to earth by more than one
    route, and current flows down one route to earth and up another back
    to your equipment and back down again. One way to fix this is by
    cutting one of the earth paths. Wire up a RCA connector yourself but
    don't connect the earth. Your store-bought device probably has a
    through-wire for the signal and an open circuit for the earth.
    Paddy, Jan 15, 2004
  20. Ionizer

    BillyClub Guest

    On 15 Jan 2004 00:26:37 -0800, (Paddy) wrote:

    >"Ionizer" <> wrote in message news:<bu4fac$d13kj$-berlin.de>...
    >> "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> >Does this Radio Shack item
    >> > require a direct connection between the stereo and the computer? Or is it
    >> > something that just one of the two needs to be connected to?

    >> Never mind- I just did my due diligence and found reference to the part:
    >> http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=270-054
    >>
    >> It looks like exactly the sort of thing I need- something that works within
    >> the RCA cable connections, and can be tucked out of sight. I'll certainly
    >> be visiting my local Radio Shack shortly.
    >>
    >> Many thanks for the suggestion,
    >> Ian.

    >I think it's been mentioned that the hum is probably due to an earth
    >loop ... it nearly always is, unless you've made a wiring error. You
    >might not realise what this means.
    >
    >It means that your equipment is connected to earth by more than one
    >route, and current flows down one route to earth and up another back
    >to your equipment and back down again. One way to fix this is by
    >cutting one of the earth paths. Wire up a RCA connector yourself but
    >don't connect the earth. Your store-bought device probably has a
    >through-wire for the signal and an open circuit for the earth.

    You can probably build one your self for under $5 but after
    thinking about it for a while the price didn't seem too bad and
    probably looks better then mine would
    BillyClub, Jan 15, 2004