Audio Monitoring Computer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Nik Schlein, Oct 22, 2005.

  1. Nik Schlein

    Nik Schlein Guest

    I would like someone's help for the following two questsions.

    Given the following information:

    I want to build a computer which I will use a broadband internet
    connection to transmit Live/Cached or both audio (no video). The audio has
    to be in as prestine a form as possible, no compression if at all possible.
    I would also like the computer to be able to accept multiple audio inputs on
    multiple channels. This computer should ultimately be fairly portable(not as
    portable as a laptop).

    To make a long story short a friend who's active in a ghost hunting
    group wants to make a computer to monitor audio in a selected location and
    be able to download the audio files to search for signs of paranormal
    activity. He wants the remote monitoring so he can assuage people who think
    the voices he's recording are people in the room. He has stated money is no
    object however a tag of less then $2000 is preferred.

    1.) What should I look for in the specs for the computer? I assume a SATA
    HDD or even maybe a SCSI high speed drive. Fast CPU 3.0+ghz, and 1gb + ram.
    I assume video card is not high demand so any old one will do. Sound cards
    with multiple audio capture ports. Perferably non powered ports to reduce RF
    interference. And obviously a Ethernet lan card (not wireless as it may
    cause interference)

    2.) Are there good software programs that will be able to record multiple
    channels of audio simultaneously and cache them for late retrival. If so do
    any of those programs have features to access them on a live basis. Most
    importantly is that it does NOT compress the audio if at all possible.
    Nik Schlein, Oct 22, 2005

  2. Nik Schlein

    zaax Guest

    Nik Schlein wrote:

    > I would like someone's help for the following two questsions.
    >
    > Given the following information:
    >
    > I want to build a computer which I will use a broadband internet
    > connection to transmit Live/Cached or both audio (no video). The
    > audio has to be in as prestine a form as possible, no compression if
    > at all possible. I would also like the computer to be able to accept
    > multiple audio inputs on multiple channels. This computer should
    > ultimately be fairly portable(not as portable as a laptop).
    >
    > To make a long story short a friend who's active in a ghost hunting
    > group wants to make a computer to monitor audio in a selected
    > location and be able to download the audio files to search for signs
    > of paranormal activity. He wants the remote monitoring so he can
    > assuage people who think the voices he's recording are people in the
    > room. He has stated money is no object however a tag of less then
    > $2000 is preferred.
    >

    > 1.) What should I look for in the specs for the computer? I assume a
    > SATA HDD or even maybe a SCSI high speed drive. Fast CPU 3.0+ghz, and
    > 1gb + ram. I assume video card is not high demand so any old one will
    > do. Sound cards with multiple audio capture ports. Perferably non
    > powered ports to reduce RF interference. And obviously a Ethernet lan
    > card (not wireless as it may cause interference)
    >
    > 2.) Are there good software programs that will be able to record
    > multiple channels of audio simultaneously and cache them for late
    > retrival. If so do any of those programs have features to access them
    > on a live basis. Most importantly is that it does NOT compress the
    > audio if at all possible.

    You need a tape recorder & a Dynamic Threshold Sensing (DTS) mike.

    --
    zaax
    zaax, Oct 22, 2005

  3. Nik Schlein