    speakers. I tried plugging the RCA jacks into several different
    outputs/inputs(?) on the back of the receiver, but no matter WHAT i do, i
    can't get rid of that hum! Any suggestions/solutions? Thanks in advance.
    Mistuh, Feb 8, 2004

  2. Mistuh

    Shel-hed Guest

    Probably a ground loop.
    Step 1- disconnect cablevision (if applicable).
    If no luck,
    Step 2- Connect computer and stereo to same wall outlet. Leave the TV, cable and VCR
    out of the mix completely.

    On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 21:40:19 GMT, "Mistuh" <-screwthespam-.com> wrote in
    24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    Shel-hed, Feb 8, 2004

  3. Mistuh spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <71yVb.3709$>

    > Hi all. I have my Dell PC hooked up to my stereo receiver....but i cannot
    > get a persistent low-frequency hum out of this connection. The hum ONLY
    > comes from the stereo system speakers, surround speakers, etc. There is
    > NO hum from the harman kardon speakers that are used specifically as PC
    > speakers. I tried plugging the RCA jacks into several different
    > outputs/inputs(?) on the back of the receiver, but no matter WHAT i do, i
    > can't get rid of that hum! Any suggestions/solutions? Thanks in advance.

    Usually, from an audio standpoint, a hum is caused by a bad ground
    somewhere. You need to make sure the patch cable that connects the stereo
    and PC together is in good shape, and the stereo is plugged into he sound
    card's "line out" jack . You also need to make sure the PC and Stereo are
    plugged into the same outlet.

    HTH

    NOI
    Thund3rstruck_N0i, Feb 8, 2004
  4. Mistuh

    Art Guest

    May not be solvable in your specific situation but you can try
    reversing the PC and audio system AC plugs (one at a time). If they
    are 3-prong use a two-prong adapter (carefully!). You can also run a
    grounding wire from the PC chassis or the amplifier chassis to a
    ground such as the center screw of an outlet or a cold-water pipe. In
    my experience, audio systems and PC's are really two different
    electrical worlds and do not always like to be coupled together.

    Art

    Art, Feb 8, 2004
  5. Mistuh

    Ionizer Guest

    "Mistuh" <-screwthespam-.com> wrote in message
    > Hi all. I have my Dell PC hooked up to my stereo receiver....but i cannot
    > get a persistent low-frequency hum out of this connection. The hum ONLY
    > comes from the stereo system speakers, surround speakers, etc. There is

    NO
    > hum from the harman kardon speakers that are used specifically as PC
    > speakers. I tried plugging the RCA jacks into several different
    > outputs/inputs(?) on the back of the receiver, but no matter WHAT i do, i
    > can't get rid of that hum! Any suggestions/solutions? Thanks in advance.

    As I discovered recently after posing this same question to this newsgroup,
    it is a ground loop problem. This particular solution was the one I used:
    http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cookie_test=1&catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=270-054

    Because of the way our room is set up, I was unable to try the other
    solutions suggested in that thread- plug the computer and your home stereo
    into the same circuit, etc. I am quite sure that those other suggestions
    work also, but it's the Radio Shack part that worked for me.

    HTH,
    Ian.
    Ionizer, Feb 8, 2004
  6. Mistuh

    Mistuh Guest

    "Thund3rstruck_N0i" <> wrote in message
    > Mistuh spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    > <71yVb.3709$>
    >
    > > Hi all. I have my Dell PC hooked up to my stereo receiver....but i

    cannot
    > > get a persistent low-frequency hum out of this connection. The hum

    ONLY
    > > comes from the stereo system speakers, surround speakers, etc. There is
    > > NO hum from the harman kardon speakers that are used specifically as PC
    > > speakers. I tried plugging the RCA jacks into several different
    > > outputs/inputs(?) on the back of the receiver, but no matter WHAT i do,

    > > can't get rid of that hum! Any suggestions/solutions? Thanks in

    advance.

    > Usually, from an audio standpoint, a hum is caused by a bad ground
    > somewhere. You need to make sure the patch cable that connects the stereo
    > and PC together is in good shape, and the stereo is plugged into he sound
    > card's "line out" jack . You also need to make sure the PC and Stereo are
    > plugged into the same outlet.
    >
    > HTH

    Interesting...I'll have to try that possiblity out. I was worried about an
    overload of power if they were plugged into the same outlets....no reason to
    fear that?

    NOI
    Mistuh, Feb 8, 2004
  7. Mistuh

    Mistuh Guest

    "Ionizer" <> wrote in message
    > "Mistuh" <-screwthespam-.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi all. I have my Dell PC hooked up to my stereo receiver....but i

    cannot
    > > get a persistent low-frequency hum out of this connection. The hum

    ONLY
    > > comes from the stereo system speakers, surround speakers, etc. There is

    > NO
    > > hum from the harman kardon speakers that are used specifically as PC
    > > speakers. I tried plugging the RCA jacks into several different
    > > outputs/inputs(?) on the back of the receiver, but no matter WHAT i do,

    > > can't get rid of that hum! Any suggestions/solutions? Thanks in

    advance.

    > As I discovered recently after posing this same question to this

    newsgroup,
    > it is a ground loop problem. This particular solution was the one I used:

    http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?cookie_test=1&catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=270-054

    > Because of the way our room is set up, I was unable to try the other
    > solutions suggested in that thread- plug the computer and your home stereo
    > into the same circuit, etc. I am quite sure that those other suggestions
    > work also, but it's the Radio Shack part that worked for me.
    >
    > HTH,
    > Ian.

    OK, thanks Ian, i'll try that out later in the week, when i get a chance to
    go to Radio Shack...altho i'm not sure i'll know *what* gets plugged into
    *what* based on that pic i saw on the link you provided. ~Mike
    Mistuh, Feb 8, 2004
  8. Mistuh

    > Mistuh spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    > <71yVb.3709$>
    >
    > > Hi all. I have my Dell PC hooked up to my stereo receiver....but i

    cannot
    > > get a persistent low-frequency hum out of this connection. The hum

    ONLY
    > > comes from the stereo system speakers, surround speakers, etc. There is
    > > NO hum from the harman kardon speakers that are used specifically as PC
    > > speakers. I tried plugging the RCA jacks into several different
    > > outputs/inputs(?) on the back of the receiver, but no matter WHAT i do,

    > > can't get rid of that hum! Any suggestions/solutions? Thanks in

    advance.

    > Usually, from an audio standpoint, a hum is caused by a bad ground
    > somewhere. You need to make sure the patch cable that connects the stereo
    > and PC together is in good shape, and the stereo is plugged into he sound
    > card's "line out" jack . You also need to make sure the PC and Stereo are
    > plugged into the same outlet.
    >
    > HTH

    I've plugged both PC and stereo into the same wall outlet...altho i had to
    use an EXTENSION CORD to plug the stereo into this particular wall
    outlet...and the hum is still there, altho not as bad as it -was-.
    NOI
    Mistuh, Feb 9, 2004
  9. Mistuh

    > Mistuh spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    > <71yVb.3709$>
    >
    > > Hi all. I have my Dell PC hooked up to my stereo receiver....but i

    cannot
    > > get a persistent low-frequency hum out of this connection. The hum

    ONLY
    > > comes from the stereo system speakers, surround speakers, etc. There is
    > > NO hum from the harman kardon speakers that are used specifically as PC
    > > speakers. I tried plugging the RCA jacks into several different
    > > outputs/inputs(?) on the back of the receiver, but no matter WHAT i do,

    > > can't get rid of that hum! Any suggestions/solutions? Thanks in

    advance.

    > Usually, from an audio standpoint, a hum is caused by a bad ground
    > somewhere. You need to make sure the patch cable that connects the stereo
    > and PC together is in good shape, and the stereo is plugged into he sound
    > card's "line out" jack . You also need to make sure the PC and Stereo are
    > plugged into the same outlet.
    >
    > HTH

    O well....i tried all the above...the patch cable is brand new and in good
    shape...the stereo is plugged into the "line out" jack absolutely. Both PC
    and stereo are now in the same wall outlet, altho i have to use an extension
    cord for the stereo...and the hum is still humming EXACTLY as
    before...<sigh>. Any other ideas?

    NOI
    Mistuh, Feb 9, 2004
  10. Mistuh spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    <oeAVb.184810$>
    > O well....i tried all the above...the patch cable is brand new and in good
    > shape...the stereo is plugged into the "line out" jack absolutely. Both
    > PC and stereo are now in the same wall outlet, altho i have to use an
    > extension cord for the stereo...and the hum is still humming EXACTLY as
    > before...<sigh>. Any other ideas?

    How old is the stereo? Some of the older (Pre late-70's) allow you to plug
    the power cord in, more ways than one. If this is the case, try reversing
    that.

    NOI
    Thund3rstruck_N0i, Feb 9, 2004
  11. Mistuh

    > Mistuh spilled my beer when they jumped on the table and proclaimed in
    > <oeAVb.184810$>
    > > O well....i tried all the above...the patch cable is brand new and in

    good
    > > shape...the stereo is plugged into the "line out" jack absolutely. Both
    > > PC and stereo are now in the same wall outlet, altho i have to use an
    > > extension cord for the stereo...and the hum is still humming EXACTLY as
    > > before...<sigh>. Any other ideas?

    > How old is the stereo? Some of the older (Pre late-70's) allow you to

    plug
    > the power cord in, more ways than one. If this is the case, try reversing
    > that.

    I bought the stereo in 2001. NOI
    Mistuh, Feb 9, 2004
  12. Hi,

    I have a Dell laptop and experience the same problem. What I've found, that
    significantly reduces the sound, is check and see if you have Real Player
    software installed. If you do, then run it, play some audio file or
    something and lower the volume on it as low as possible. For some reason,
    Real Player software affects the entire audio settings on the computer.
    Then, adjust all the other volume settings to compensate for the lower
    volume (ie turn up the speaker volume on the task bar and the actual volume
    on the speakers). If that doesn't work then try to do the opposite, meaning,
    turn up the volume in Real Player and down the volume everywhere else.

    -Albert

    Albert Ferrero, Feb 9, 2004
  13. Mistuh

    zzcoustics

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2010
    Messages:
    3
    Location:
    Alberta
    ZZcoustics Audio Adapter

    The ZZcoustics Audio Adapter solves all the hum problems and more it converts the headphone level output of your computer, laptop or MP3 player to a RCA line level signal perfect for your home stereo system.
    Please visit my zzcoustics website for all the details

    Mike
    zzcoustics, Jun 11, 2010
  14. Mistuh

    heiachi10

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    Hello all. I have experienced this same problem a few times over the years. It seems the solutions have varied from location to location. As has been said:

    1. Try to plug the pc and stereo into same outlet. This is the first logical step, however there is one problem. Accessories such as monitors, external hard drives, powered P.C. speakers all require their own power sources and vicariously through dvi, usb, or audio cable throw their own bit of charge back to your p.c.
    2. Try to plug all accessories for pc and home theater into 1 circuit: Not likely to happen unless you have some giant line conditioner that can handle 12+ devices.

    Soooooo.......The most practical solution seems to be the best and most consistent, in my experience, and that is to raise the P.C. off the floor and make sure the stainless (conductive) part of the case is separate from the floor by something non-conductive like a thick text book. Static electricity from the carpet and any chance of CPU chassis ground out of the picture this seems to work over and over. Give it a shot before you purchase any band aides, it might just take care of the problem. Happy listening!
    heiachi10, Jan 23, 2011
  15. Mistuh

    KevindF

    Joined: