    Sid

    PS. DVD movie viewing software is Mediamatics
    , Mar 30, 2006

  2. Steve Guest

    On 30 Mar 2006 12:06:19 -0800, wrote:

    >Hi!
    >
    >When I am watching movies (on DVDs of course :) from my DVD-ROM drive
    >(a Hitachi GD-8000 on Win98, PIII 1ghz), from time to time/at various
    >intervals the audio goes blank for 5--7 secs, and then there is a
    >"jerking" sound from the drive (movie stops for a very brief part of a
    >sec) and the video/audio continues normally from that point on. This
    >did not use to happen when I bought the PC new. I can rewind the video
    >back that many secs and listen to the audio as if all was well. Anyone
    >has seen these symptoms and knows what the reason and remedies for it
    >are?! The system does not seem to have performance (speed) problems
    >when playing the movie.
    >
    >Thanks a lot!
    >
    >Sid
    >
    >PS. DVD movie viewing software is Mediamatics

    Is DMA enabled for the drive?

    ... Steve ..
    Steve, Mar 31, 2006

  3. Guest

    No DMA attributes that I can see in the DVD-ROM properties in the Dev
    Mgr setup or BIOS setup. Any other ideas, let me know!

    Sid
    , Apr 3, 2006
  4. Steve Guest

    On 3 Apr 2006 13:20:33 -0700, wrote:

    >No DMA attributes that I can see in the DVD-ROM properties in the Dev
    >Mgr setup or BIOS setup. Any other ideas, let me know!
    >
    >Sid

    DMA is to be found under IDE ATA/ATAPI contollers. Check the
    properties of Primary IDE and Secondary IDE channels. Your problem
    sounds exactly like the drive is in PIO mode only, a common default if
    the system has had to recover from a resource conflict.

    .. Steve ..
    Steve, Apr 4, 2006
  5. Bill's News Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > On 3 Apr 2006 13:20:33 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >> No DMA attributes that I can see in the DVD-ROM properties in the
    >> Dev
    >> Mgr setup or BIOS setup. Any other ideas, let me know!
    >>
    >> Sid

    > DMA is to be found under IDE ATA/ATAPI contollers. Check the
    > properties of Primary IDE and Secondary IDE channels. Your problem
    > sounds exactly like the drive is in PIO mode only, a common default
    > if
    > the system has had to recover from a resource conflict.
    >
    > . Steve ..

    Here's a PIO-DMA solution that I use, all too often:-( Requires Win2K
    or XP, scripting enabled, and a reboot after use.

    http://winhlp.com/tools/resetdma.vbs linked to from this desription
    page http://winhlp.com/WxDMA.htm

    While the suggested manual changes are simple enough, they don't
    always seem to reset my secondary burner - this script does.
    Bill's News, Apr 5, 2006
  6. Steve Guest

    On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 12:40:46 -0700, "Bill's News"
    <> wrote:

    >Steve wrote:
    >> On 3 Apr 2006 13:20:33 -0700, wrote:
    >>
    >>> No DMA attributes that I can see in the DVD-ROM properties in the
    >>> Dev
    >>> Mgr setup or BIOS setup. Any other ideas, let me know!
    >>>
    >>> Sid

    >> DMA is to be found under IDE ATA/ATAPI contollers. Check the
    >> properties of Primary IDE and Secondary IDE channels. Your problem
    >> sounds exactly like the drive is in PIO mode only, a common default
    >> if
    >> the system has had to recover from a resource conflict.
    >>
    >> . Steve ..

    >Here's a PIO-DMA solution that I use, all too often:-( Requires Win2K
    >or XP, scripting enabled, and a reboot after use.
    >
    >http://winhlp.com/tools/resetdma.vbs linked to from this desription
    >page http://winhlp.com/WxDMA.htm
    >
    >While the suggested manual changes are simple enough, they don't
    >always seem to reset my secondary burner - this script does.

    Thanks, that is a very useful link indeed! I sent it on to a fellow
    who keeps having his burner reset to PIO.

    ... Steve ..

    Steve, Apr 5, 2006
  7. Guest

    Thank you Steve and Bill's News for more insight and help. I checked
    last night everything and it just does not have the DMA attributes as
    you suggested (after all it is Win98). All the devices in Dev Mgr are
    said to be "working properly" and "no conflicts" exist (I guess :)

    The DMA under Hardware in msinfo32.exe says that DMA channel 2 is taken
    by Floppy Disk controller and channel 4 by DMA Controller and channels
    0,1,3,5,6,7 are free.

    The DVD-ROM drive properties under CD-ROM node in the Dev Mgr does not
    have, as I said, any attributes except for two check-boxes for
    "Disconnect" and "Synchronize" under General Tab.

    The Controllers you are mentioning in Dev Mgr are shown as "Hard Disk
    Controller" tree which has 3 sub-controller listed:

    82801AA controller
    Primary controller
    Secondary controller

    The above don't have any attributes that states "DMA" in any way (after
    all it may be different in Win98). The settings for the Primary and
    Secondary can only be changed under 82801AA controller which when I
    uncheck the "Use automatic settings" checkbox, and save and exit out of
    Dev Mgr, it quickly reverts back to the original checked box!
    There is "DMA controller" under "System" resources (e.g. ACPI, CPU,
    .....) in Dev Mgr that has a few things that can be changed, but I am
    not sure where that leads me.

    Since the PC is an HP Vectra VL400, it has e-diag tools. It states
    that Secondary Master is the DVD-ROM drive (drive D:) and Secondary
    Slave is the CD burner (drive E:).

    I looked at Bills' News given link and registry stuff is not exactly
    set up in Win98 (or mine). It is under Enum(erated) keys for devices,
    which basically lists the configurations (and perhaps more) as can be
    seen in Dev Mrg properties, plus some of the subkeys don't exist at
    all.

    As I dont have net access from home, it is a bit difficult to post the
    screenshots of the Dev Mgr properties for the devices so you guys can
    see and suggest any other ideas.

    I will post the properties screenshots and exported registry info soon.
    So do keep an eye for pos. I would like to see this problem
    disappear. Post any other ideas all the same!

    Thanks!

    Sid
    , Apr 6, 2006
  8. Bill's News Guest

    No speculation here that your described problem is PIO-DMA related;
    most likely not, as it's intermittent. As a matter of fact, I'm
    already bored with Googling for Win98 DMA-PIO settings, as they are
    mostly questions without answers. The items which describe setting
    OS options thru debug are certainly not for the faint of heart!!!

    Your OP reads more like a flawed disc (marginal perhaps). Remember
    that, PC DVD readers do not perform error recovery in the same way
    that dedicated DVD players do. So you might get some playback
    hesitation on the PC that you'd not notice on a stand-alone, when
    there is any need to reread sectors.

    Have you checked for other programs or OS functions which may be
    running when this occurs (screen save, for example)? W98 is pretty
    limited in tools for monitoring windowless activities. I'd urge you
    to get XP, but it has a life expectancy of barely 2 years before MS
    stops supporting it and foists the next rushed-to-market OS on us
    paying beta testers;-)

    Bill's News, Apr 7, 2006