Audio Codecs, INF install doesn't work, Virtualdub

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Jon T, Mar 3, 2008.

  1. Jon T

    Jon T Guest

    This is driving me crazy.

    I have upgraded assembled a new system and I am running Vista 64 Unlimited.

    I do a lot of multimedia work and need to get the audio and video (mostly
    audio), decoders and codecs back installed.

    I use a great product called Virtualdub http://www.virtualdub.org/ , as a
    front end to manage my encoding.
    I use Divx a lot, etc.

    Here is the issue:

    * When I get the audio decoders and codes that I have used before in XP 32
    bit, many of them get installed by downloading a "rar" folder, extracting
    them, then "right-clicking" on the file.INF file and the decoder or codec
    gets installed.

    * When I do that, with my 32 bit codecs it appears to have been installed,
    but in reality nothing gets installed.

    * Apparently, the .INF file, "right-click" install doesn't work anymore with
    those 32 bit codecs in Vista 64.

    * I have some codecs that I have found that are 64bit and work fine in the
    64 bit version of Virtualdub.

    * My issues that with some of my video codecs, mainly Divx, is 32 bit.

    * While the latest Divx 32 bit decoder works great in Virtualdub 32 bit, I
    need my 32 but audio codecs to get installed, so I can have by audio and
    video working together.

    * Virtualdub in particular likes to use ACM type of decoders/codecs, and the
    ones I have are set to install by installing the .INF file.

    * In particular, I am in great need of a AC3 ACM 32 bit codec that I can
    install. I finally found, in a Chinese web site, where someone packaged up a
    LAME ACM codec in the form of a .exe file. That installed great !!

    * I have read some things that I really don't understand about Vista 64
    "blocking" the INF installation ??

    * What can I do and hopefully, that will be changed in the future.

    Lastly. My favorite source for audio codecs is Rarewares.
    http://www.rarewares.org/ . Tjhey have the newest and the best selection of
    the superior open source codecs, some especially compiled for to work with
    the CPU that one is using. Great side.
    PLEASE HELP.

    Thanks in advance !!

    Jon

    Jon T, Mar 3, 2008

  2. Jon T

    Carlos Guest

    Jon T,
    Here you will find all the video/audio decoders you need:
    http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=173941&package_id=199416
    They install via exe files so no need to worry about the "inf" problem.
    It is the ffdshow program and you have both 32-bit and 64-bit versions
    available for download.
    Both versions can a do coexist in Vista x64 (I do it).

    The 32-bit version allows decoding in 32-bit players and Virtualdub x86
    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/ff...sse_icl10.exe?modtime=1203699187&big_mirror=0

    The 64-bit version allows decoding in 64-bit players and Virtualdub x64
    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/ff...clsid_x64.exe?modtime=1203689501&big_mirror=0
    ffdshow decodes Dolby AC3 correctly without the need of the ACM one.

    Carlos

    Carlos, Mar 3, 2008