    assume that the CODEC has been damaged.

    How do I ID the encoding CODEC? Once I ID it how do I repair it?

    Thanks
    Jack B. Pollack, Oct 10, 2005

  2. Jack B. Pollack

    Brian Guest

    "Jack B. Pollack" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > I have several AVI movie files.On some of these files the audio is working
    > and on others it is not (it used to work on all the files). I have tried

    the
    > files on a different computer and the audio DOES work on that system. I
    > assume that the CODEC has been damaged.
    >
    > How do I ID the encoding CODEC? Once I ID it how do I repair it?
    >
    > Thanks

    what are you trying to play them with? there are several divx software
    players out there.
    installed any codecs and/or *packages* lately? some codec/packages will
    intefere/cause conflicts/overide (with) others.
    e.g divx packages and xvid packages don't seem to like each other. best is
    to download the codecs seperately. google for g-spot. the prog will inform
    you which codecs you need for certain .avi files.
    Brian, Oct 10, 2005

  3. Haven't installed any CODECS recently. I have tried to play them in the
    DiviX Player and also MS Media Player.
    Any to ID the way these files were encoded?

    Jack B. Pollack, Oct 10, 2005
  4. When I right click the file the details tab shows audio format. All of the
    files that have no audio are
    MPEG Layer 3, 128K Bit, 48000 HZ Stereo. Strangely the ones that work are
    also MPEG Layer 3.
    Just the sampling rate is different 56K, 24000 HZ Stereo.

    Any ideas?

    Jack B. Pollack, Oct 10, 2005
  5. Jack B. Pollack

    Unk Guest

    On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:26:31 -0400, "Jack B. Pollack" <> wrote:

    >I have several AVI movie files.On some of these files the audio is working
    >and on others it is not (it used to work on all the files). I have tried the
    >files on a different computer and the audio DOES work on that system. I
    >assume that the CODEC has been damaged.
    >
    >How do I ID the encoding CODEC? Once I ID it how do I repair it?
    >
    >Thanks

    Download and run "Gspot". Then use it to open the file and determine the codec needed.
    You can also add a shortcut to it in the "sendto" folder.
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

    AVIcodec - Similar to above (Has many useful links too)
    http://avicodec.duby.info/
    Unk, Oct 11, 2005
  6. Jack B. Pollack

    fred-bloggs Guest

    "Jack B. Pollack" <> wrote in

    > I have several AVI movie files.On some of these files the audio is
    > working and on others it is not (it used to work on all the files). I
    > have tried the files on a different computer and the audio DOES work
    > on that system. I assume that the CODEC has been damaged.
    >
    > How do I ID the encoding CODEC? Once I ID it how do I repair it?
    >
    > Thanks

    Forget about codecs, try using VLC to play the avis
    http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

    --
    fred
    fred-bloggs, Oct 11, 2005