    both a cdrw and a dvdrom to one audio input on a motherboard. I know that a
    single cable is usually supplied with each drive but I need a cable that
    will allow connection of both.
    AdNoctum, Aug 17, 2003

  2. AdNoctum

    GHalleck Guest

    AdNoctum wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me the type/name of the cable that will enable me to attach
    > both a cdrw and a dvdrom to one audio input on a motherboard. I know that a
    > single cable is usually supplied with each drive but I need a cable that
    > will allow connection of both.

    It is called a Y-cable. An alternate name is a "CDROM Splitter Cable". Before
    installing, always make sure that the headers are wired properly, e.g., red wire
    for right channel; white wire for left channel; black for ground.
    GHalleck, Aug 17, 2003

  3. AdNoctum wrote:

    > Can anyone tell me the type/name of the cable that will enable me to
    > attach both a cdrw and a dvdrom to one audio input on a motherboard. I
    > know that a single cable is usually supplied with each drive but I need a
    > cable that will allow connection of both.

    Have you already cracked the case of your machine? Is there a small
    additional cable going from one of those devices to your sound card? If
    there is not, does your sound card have three-pin jacks on it labeled "CD1"
    and (maybe) "CD2"? If it does, those are digital inputs; you can run a
    special cable from the digital output of your CDRW and DVD-R (although a
    few of those units don't have a digital output) straight to the sound card
    and bypass an audio connection entirely. This is advantageous to you
    because there is no conversion from digital to analog and back again in the
    process, it just goes straight into the sound card as a digital signal and
    there is no deterioration in the quality of the sound; in addition, it
    leaves the normal analog inputs of your sound card free for other purposes.
    --
    Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA
    Gary G. Taylor, Aug 17, 2003
  4. AdNoctum

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, AdNoctum mused:

    | Can anyone tell me the type/name of the cable that will enable me to
    | attach both a cdrw and a dvdrom to one audio input on a motherboard. I
    | know that a single cable is usually supplied with each drive but I need a
    | cable that will allow connection of both.

    Since a couple of others have given you good answers, I'll add this:
    You could also install XP as it sends the audio through the IDE ribbon and
    PCI Bus instead of a separate cable.
    mhicaoidh, Aug 17, 2003
  5. AdNoctum

    Shozo Sugino Guest

    Shozo Sugino, Aug 17, 2003
  6. AdNoctum

    AdNoctum Guest

    Since a couple of others have given you good answers, I'll add
    > this:
    > You could also install XP as it sends the audio through the IDE ribbon
    > and PCI Bus instead of a separate cable.

    So I need not connect the audio cable to the onboard sound for either of
    the drives. Or could I simply connect one with the audio cable and leave
    the other connected as you suggested?
    AdNoctum, Aug 17, 2003
  7. AdNoctum

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, AdNoctum mused:

    | So I need not connect the audio cable to the onboard sound for either of
    | the drives. Or could I simply connect one with the audio cable and leave
    | the other connected as you suggested?

    With XP, you need not connect any audio cables.
    mhicaoidh, Aug 25, 2003
  8. AdNoctum

    Peter Guest

    With Windows ME, I do not use any Audio Cable and I get sound from both
    my CD-r and CD-RW without any trouble.

    On 8/26/2003 12:58 AM, mhicaoidh wrote:
    > Taking a moment's reflection, AdNoctum mused:
    > |
    > | So I need not connect the audio cable to the onboard sound for either of
    > | the drives. Or could I simply connect one with the audio cable and leave
    > | the other connected as you suggested?
    >
    > With XP, you need not connect any audio cables.

    --
    Peter
    To reply, Remove NOSPAM from E-mail address.
    Peter, Aug 27, 2003