    The maximum bit depth of the PC you do audio editing should be easily found out.

    Help!!
    , Feb 9, 2014

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > 2007 HP Pavilion, Windows Vista SP2, Realtek High-Definition-Audio, NVIDIA GeForce 7100(video), NVIDIA nForce 630i(audio).
    >

    > Audio editor: Latest Audacity, with Preferences>Quality>Default sample format set to 24Bit.
    >
    > Realtek Audio Manager - Maximum bit depth for Digital Output, Stereo Mix, Line In, and DigitalIn are all 16bit. Speakers max is 24bit.
    >

    > I've been through all of control panel and cannot get a definitive answer as to what the maximum selectable or default bit depth is for audio. Windows Vista itself is the 32bit version, but that tells me nothing about audio, just the OS.
    >

    > I've visited NVIDIA's website, and viewed the detailed specs on all their cards and drivers from the past 10 years, and bit-depth as a spec is not provided(kind of like not providing horsepower in the specs for a car's power-train!).
    >

    > The maximum bit depth of the PC you do audio editing should be easily found out.
    >
    > Help!!

    I'm guessing you're not doing "audio over HDMI".

    The RealTek chip would do analog audio, and you
    might be wired to a 1x3 or 2x3 audio stack on
    the back of the computer.

    You could track down a datasheet for the
    RealTek chip.

    Since it's an HP, you start by providing a model number,
    plug that into Google, and look for the motherboard spec
    page for that machine. That will list the hardware (chips)
    in usage. With a little luck, you might get a RealTek part
    number.

    If you have really good eyesight and a magnifying glass,
    you can read it off the top of the RealTek chip.

    Maybe you can get it from some hardware utility, like
    get some Plug and Play information. And that could give
    a part number. But traditionally, audio devices don't
    have very large identifiers. Some used a 12 bit number,
    so only 4096 different ones could exist.

    I'd prefer to just start with the machine model number, and
    work it from there. Rather than screw around with an endless
    supply of half-baked hardware listers.

    Dig out the model number of the Pavilion. The year (2008)
    is not enough of an identifier. If you get desperate,
    check for a plate on the back of the machine, with model
    and serial number on it. I don't need the serial number
    (a long number), just the shorter model number.

    Paul
    Paul, Feb 9, 2014

  3. Guest

    On Sunday, February 9, 2014 12:49:58 PM UTC-5, Paul wrote:
    >gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > 2007 HP Pavilion, Windows Vista SP2, Realtek High-Definition-Audio, NVIDIA GeForce 7100(video), NVIDIA nForce 630i(audio).

    > > Audio editor: Latest Audacity, with Preferences>Quality>Default sample format set to 24Bit.

    > > Realtek Audio Manager - Maximum bit depth for Digital Output, Stereo Mix, Line In, and DigitalIn are all 16bit. Speakers max is 24bit.

    > > I've been through all of control panel and cannot get a definitive answer as to what the maximum selectable or default bit depth is for audio. Windows Vista itself is the 32bit version, but that tells me nothing about audio, just the OS.

    > > I've visited NVIDIA's website, and viewed the detailed specs on all their cards and drivers from the past 10 years, and bit-depth as a spec is not provided(kind of like not providing horsepower in the specs for a car's power-train!).

    > > The maximum bit depth of the PC you do audio editing should be easily found out.

    > > Help!!

    > I'm guessing you're not doing "audio over HDMI".
    >

    > The RealTek chip would do analog audio, and you
    >
    > might be wired to a 1x3 or 2x3 audio stack on
    >
    > the back of the computer.
    >

    > You could track down a datasheet for the
    >
    > RealTek chip.
    >

    > Since it's an HP, you start by providing a model number,
    >
    > plug that into Google, and look for the motherboard spec
    >
    > page for that machine. That will list the hardware (chips)
    >
    > in usage. With a little luck, you might get a RealTek part
    >
    > number.
    >

    > If you have really good eyesight and a magnifying glass,
    >
    > you can read it off the top of the RealTek chip.
    >

    > Maybe you can get it from some hardware utility, like
    >
    > get some Plug and Play information. And that could give
    >
    > a part number. But traditionally, audio devices don't
    >
    > have very large identifiers. Some used a 12 bit number,
    >
    > so only 4096 different ones could exist.
    >

    > I'd prefer to just start with the machine model number, and
    >
    > work it from there. Rather than screw around with an endless
    >
    > supply of half-baked hardware listers.
    >

    > Dig out the model number of the Pavilion. The year (2008)
    >
    > is not enough of an identifier. If you get desperate,
    >
    > check for a plate on the back of the machine, with model
    >
    > and serial number on it. I don't need the serial number
    >
    > (a long number), just the shorter model number.
    >

    > Paul

    ______________

    a6300f
    , Feb 11, 2014
  4. Guest

    On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:47:00 AM UTC-5, wrote:
    > On Sunday, February 9, 2014 12:49:58 PM UTC-5, Paul wrote:
    >
    > >gmail.com wrote:

    > > > 2007 HP Pavilion, Windows Vista SP2, Realtek High-Definition-Audio, NVIDIA GeForce 7100(video), NVIDIA nForce 630i(audio).

    > > > Audio editor: Latest Audacity, with Preferences>Quality>Default sample format set to 24Bit.

    > > > Realtek Audio Manager - Maximum bit depth for Digital Output, Stereo Mix, Line In, and DigitalIn are all 16bit. Speakers max is 24bit.

    > > > I've been through all of control panel and cannot get a definitive answer as to what the maximum selectable or default bit depth is for audio. Windows Vista itself is the 32bit version, but that tells me nothing about audio, just the OS.

    > > > I've visited NVIDIA's website, and viewed the detailed specs on all their cards and drivers from the past 10 years, and bit-depth as a spec is not provided(kind of like not providing horsepower in the specs for a car's power-train!).

    > > > The maximum bit depth of the PC you do audio editing should be easily found out.

    > > > Help!!

    > > I'm guessing you're not doing "audio over HDMI".

    > > The RealTek chip would do analog audio, and you

    > > might be wired to a 1x3 or 2x3 audio stack on

    > > the back of the computer.

    > > You could track down a datasheet for the

    > > RealTek chip.

    > > Since it's an HP, you start by providing a model number,

    > > plug that into Google, and look for the motherboard spec

    > > page for that machine. That will list the hardware (chips)

    > > in usage. With a little luck, you might get a RealTek part

    > > number.

    > > If you have really good eyesight and a magnifying glass,

    > > you can read it off the top of the RealTek chip.

    > > Maybe you can get it from some hardware utility, like

    > > get some Plug and Play information. And that could give

    > > a part number. But traditionally, audio devices don't

    > > have very large identifiers. Some used a 12 bit number,

    > > so only 4096 different ones could exist.

    > > I'd prefer to just start with the machine model number, and

    > > work it from there. Rather than screw around with an endless

    > > supply of half-baked hardware listers.

    > > Dig out the model number of the Pavilion. The year (2008)

    > > is not enough of an identifier. If you get desperate,

    > > check for a plate on the back of the machine, with model

    > > and serial number on it. I don't need the serial number

    > > (a long number), just the shorter model number.

    > > Paul

    > ______________
    >

    > a6300f

    ____________________

    Really in-depth specs from the horses mouth - NOT! http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...egory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3644689#N403
    , Feb 11, 2014
  5. Guest

    On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:49:33 AM UTC-5, wrote:
    > On Tuesday, February 11, 2014 11:47:00 AM UTC-5, wrote:

    > > > I'm guessing you're not doing "audio over HDMI".

    > > > The RealTek chip would do analog audio, and you

    > > > might be wired to a 1x3 or 2x3 audio stack on

    > > > the back of the computer.

    > > > You could track down a datasheet for the

    > > > RealTek chip.

    > > > Since it's an HP, you start by providing a model number,

    > > > plug that into Google, and look for the motherboard spec

    > > > page for that machine. That will list the hardware (chips)

    > > > in usage. With a little luck, you might get a RealTek part

    > > > number.

    > > > If you have really good eyesight and a magnifying glass,

    > > > you can read it off the top of the RealTek chip.

    > > > Maybe you can get it from some hardware utility, like

    > > > get some Plug and Play information. And that could give

    > > > a part number. But traditionally, audio devices don't

    > > > have very large identifiers. Some used a 12 bit number,

    > > > so only 4096 different ones could exist.

    > > > I'd prefer to just start with the machine model number, and

    > > > work it from there. Rather than screw around with an endless

    > > > supply of half-baked hardware listers.

    > > > Dig out the model number of the Pavilion. The year (2008)

    > > > is not enough of an identifier. If you get desperate,

    > > > check for a plate on the back of the machine, with model

    > > > and serial number on it. I don't need the serial number

    > > > (a long number), just the shorter model number.

    > > > Paul

    > > ______________

    > > a6300f

    > ____________________
    >

    > Really in-depth specs from the horses mouth - NOT! http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...egory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3644689#N403

    ________________________________

    From the folks at RealTek: http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&&ProdID=141

    In one paragraph it says "8/16/24 bit input and output", but below, it claims 90-96 dB dynamic range output(equivalent to 16bit audio).
    , Feb 11, 2014
  6. Paul Guest

    wrote:

    >>> HP Pavilion a6300f

    >> Really in-depth specs from the horses mouth - NOT!
    >> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...egory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3644689#N403

    > From the folks at RealTek:
    > http://www.realtek.com.tw/products/productsView.aspx?Langid=1&PFid=28&Level=5&Conn=4&&ProdID=141
    >
    > In one paragraph it says "8/16/24 bit input and output", but below,
    > it claims 90-96 dB dynamic range output(equivalent to 16bit audio).

    There is a datasheet link, at the bottom of the RealTek page.

    ALC888S_DataSheet_1.2.pdf

    Ten DAC channels 16/20/24 bit PCM.
    Two stereo ADC 16/20 bit PCM.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Effective_number_of_bits

    I would consider 16 bits effective, coming out of a 24 bit
    device, to be "normal". If you had a chip like the VIA
    one (Envy?), where the analog devices are on I2C connections (like
    a Wolfson DAC), they can sometimes do better that way. Because
    it allows a bit more separation between the various "noisy bits".
    Separating the HDAudio digital portion, from the ADC/DAC chips, helps.
    (The numbers quoted here, don't last long, because you typically
    need an op amp after one of those, to buffer the output. They don't
    put a buffer inside the chip, because it "makes for bad numbers".
    It's all part of a game of course.)

    http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/documents/uploads/data_sheets/en/WM8741.pdf

    At least one poster here, did some experiments on his computer. He
    put his sound card in the last slot, and made a metal cover. He owned
    a scope and could take measurements, and could see around a 10dB difference
    in the noise. Measuring noise is always inherently risky, so I'd
    take that number with a grain of salt. But at least it's an
    interesting idea. The computer itself is a pretty noisy environment,
    able to couple into any analog like your sound stuff.

    Paul
    Paul, Feb 11, 2014