Audio and Video Problems in Windows Media Center

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Steve Winograd, Jun 20, 2008.

  1. Hi Everyone,

    I have a problem with Windows Media Center on my Vista Ultimate x64
    system (4 GB RAM), using an AVerMedia M791 PCIe Combo NTSC/ATSC tuner
    with Comcast analog cable.

    Every few days, something goes wrong when I record a program or watch
    live TV. On playback, the audio stutters and skips and is out of sync
    with the video. The video is broken up. showing parts of different
    frames simultaneously. Sometimes, a large part of the picture is
    solid green.

    A program recorded at 7 PM might have the problem, while one recorded
    at 9 PM the same night is fine.

    When live TV is having the problem, closing and re-opening Windows
    Media Center usually fixes it. Sometimes, a reboot is required.

    I haven't seen the problem on my 32-bit XP MCE system or on my regular
    TV set.

    Any suggestions of how to fix it?
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    Steve Winograd, Jun 20, 2008

  2. Steve Winograd

    Carlos Guest

    Steve,
    Did you check event viewer in order to see if there is something logged in
    those moments you had the problem?
    Is this a new problem or has it been there since the very beginning?
    Have you updated sound/video drivers/decoders lately?
    Could your CPU being overheating?
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 20, 2008

  3. On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 10:56:07 -0700, Carlos
    <> wrote:

    >> I have a problem with Windows Media Center on my Vista Ultimate x64
    >> system (4 GB RAM), using an AVerMedia M791 PCIe Combo NTSC/ATSC tuner
    >> with Comcast analog cable.
    >>
    >> Every few days, something goes wrong when I record a program or watch
    >> live TV. On playback, the audio stutters and skips and is out of sync
    >> with the video. The video is broken up. showing parts of different
    >> frames simultaneously. Sometimes, a large part of the picture is
    >> solid green.
    >>
    >> A program recorded at 7 PM might have the problem, while one recorded
    >> at 9 PM the same night is fine.
    >>
    >> When live TV is having the problem, closing and re-opening Windows
    >> Media Center usually fixes it. Sometimes, a reboot is required.
    >>
    >> I haven't seen the problem on my 32-bit XP MCE system or on my regular
    >> TV set.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions of how to fix it?

    >Steve,
    >Did you check event viewer in order to see if there is something logged in
    >those moments you had the problem?
    >Is this a new problem or has it been there since the very beginning?
    >Have you updated sound/video drivers/decoders lately?
    >Could your CPU being overheating?
    >:)
    >Carlos

    Thanks for your reply, Carlos. I haven't found anything useful in
    event viewer. The problem has been around since I set up the
    computer, and I haven't updated any drivers lately. The CPU and case
    fans are running, and I haven't noticed any system hangs or other
    signs of overheating.

    I might have found a solution. I removed one of the four 1 GB RAM
    modules several days ago, and recorded TV and live TV have worked fine
    since then. Perhaps that module is defective, or the TV tuner driver
    or Windows Media Center can't handle 4 GB.

    The computer seems to be running as fast (or faster!) with 3 GB as it
    did with 4 GB.

    Any thoughts?
    --
    Thanks,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    Steve Winograd, Jun 23, 2008
  4. It is more likely that the memory controller is right at the edge of its
    ability to handle the fouth dimm slot at the speed of your memory. You can
    try increasing the dram voltage in the BIOS by 0.1 v (no more) and/or
    dropping the dram speed some. This is a common problem with consumer mobos.
    A lot can't handle all four slots filled at the highest memory speed rating
    listed for the board. Like with all engineering challenges, a lot of
    compromises have to be made.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 23, 2008
  5. Steve Winograd

    Carlos Guest

    Colin,
    Yesterday a friend of mine asked me to help him install Vista Ultimate x64
    on his brand new quad-core PC with 4 gigs of RAM (2 sticks).
    As per many recommendations I removed 1 stick and proceeded to install Vista
    with 2 gigs uneventfully.
    After a successfull installation I turned the machine off and placed back
    the removed stick.
    Blue screen during reboot!
    Restart again, go to BIOS setup, reduce memory speed from 800 MHz to 667 MHz
    as you have adviced many times.
    Reboot, no problems and Vista is happy with its 4 gigs of RAM.
    Maybe Steve just needs to slow down the memory a bit so that he can use the
    full 4 gigabytes!

    Carlos

    Carlos, Jun 23, 2008
  6. I am almost certain you are right, but he did not give the specs. Since his
    rig is so close to handling things with four sticks, I would like to see him
    up the voltage slightly first. That my resolve it.

    As an engineer you know all about the real estate problem (electrical
    distance to and from the furthest slot) and the dram voltage and frequency.
    It is all about the physics. Sometimes it is like trying to get two pounds
    of peanuts in a one pound bag. :)

    It is a shame Vista came along just when these hardware issues were
    appearing because the common misperception is that Vista that can't handle
    x-amount of ram. And then throw in all the misunderstanding about x86 and
    BIOSs setting up memory-mapped IO and Vista is really getting it in the neck
    for absolutely no good reason.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 23, 2008
  7. On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:27:35 -0600, "Colin Barnhorst"
    <> wrote:

    >> [snip]
    >> I might have found a solution. I removed one of the four 1 GB RAM
    >> modules several days ago, and recorded TV and live TV have worked fine
    >> since then. Perhaps that module is defective, or the TV tuner driver
    >> or Windows Media Center can't handle 4 GB.
    >>
    >> The computer seems to be running as fast (or faster!) with 3 GB as it
    >> did with 4 GB.
    >>
    >> Any thoughts?

    >It is more likely that the memory controller is right at the edge of its
    >ability to handle the fouth dimm slot at the speed of your memory. You can
    >try increasing the dram voltage in the BIOS by 0.1 v (no more) and/or
    >dropping the dram speed some. This is a common problem with consumer mobos.
    >A lot can't handle all four slots filled at the highest memory speed rating
    >listed for the board. Like with all engineering challenges, a lot of
    >compromises have to be made.

    Thanks for the suggestion, Colin. I'll look into this in a few days
    and report what I find.

    Steve Winograd, Jun 24, 2008
  8. On Mon, 23 Jun 2008 13:10:04 -0700, Carlos
    <> wrote:

    >Colin,
    >Yesterday a friend of mine asked me to help him install Vista Ultimate x64
    >on his brand new quad-core PC with 4 gigs of RAM (2 sticks).
    >As per many recommendations I removed 1 stick and proceeded to install Vista
    >with 2 gigs uneventfully.
    >After a successfull installation I turned the machine off and placed back
    >the removed stick.
    >Blue screen during reboot!
    >Restart again, go to BIOS setup, reduce memory speed from 800 MHz to 667 MHz
    >as you have adviced many times.
    >Reboot, no problems and Vista is happy with its 4 gigs of RAM.
    >Maybe Steve just needs to slow down the memory a bit so that he can use the
    >full 4 gigabytes!
    >
    >Carlos

    Thanks for the suggestion, Carlos. I'll look into this in a few days
    and report what I find.

    Steve Winograd, Jun 24, 2008