    Regards,

    Dave C.
    , Dec 2, 2013

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > I have been running audacity in the past for years. I now have a new computer running Windows 8.1. Computer is Asus with an i3 processor.
    >
    > I installed a compatible version of audacity successfully.
    >
    > But when I start record (running music on youtube), the error message says it can not find an input source. None are listed in the Input Source box..it is blank.
    >
    > I removed and installed a few other versions to no avail. Somehow there is a connect not in place to pick up an input.
    >
    > I have run a music on youtube with audacity which I have done in the past with my older computers.
    >
    > I have speakers plugged in the audio card where it should be and the speakers work excellent.
    >
    > How would the input get to audacity?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dave C.

    You need a hack for "what you hear" mixer selection.

    Basically, the Mixer has an input that connects to Line Out,
    so the input ADC can record from what appears on Line Out.
    NVidia used to call this capability "what you hear" for some reason.
    The other name for it (likely as seen in the hardware
    mixer panel of old) is "Stereo Mix".

    Some basic instructions are here. The poster in this thread,
    actually solved the missing Stereo Mix with an audio update.
    Which is pretty weird. Normally, you'd expect a driver to be
    feature complete, before it is released. They should have
    tested it :)

    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...indows-8/f8e28514-fc17-46ae-b9f5-1c061c2753b8

    "...select "Recording Devices"

    In the pane, right-click on a blank area, and make sure
    both "View Disabled Devices" and "View Disconnected Devices"
    options are checked.

    You should be able to see the “Stereo Mix” option
    "

    Similar ideas here.

    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-7/1054998-recording-what-you-hear.html

    As far as I'm concerned, all audio hardware has that
    mixer option. And it's just a matter of getting the
    software to give it to you. The paths in the chip,
    should be defined by standards, such as the AC'97 standard
    and the HDAudio standard. That's why I expect a certain
    degree of uniformity when it comes to hardware paths.
    The only case I've run into where that was violated,
    was an early HDAudio chip, where somebody forgot to put
    enough gain in the Microphone jack path :) Microphones
    didn't work worth a damn on that one. Where they vary,
    is the number of channels (any where from 2 to 8 channels
    of output). But the base functions, cover at least stereo I/O,
    and should be quite similar. That's why, with AC'97, some people
    used to substitute a RealTek driver, and could get stereo features
    working on a different brand of hardware. That's what standards
    at the register level does for you.

    What HDAudio brought to the table, was the notion of
    widgets, and the ability to change a widget from input
    to output (so a headphone jack could be retasked as
    a microphone). That also implies a rather large patch
    panel inside the chip, for routing stuff. And somewhere
    in that mess, is "Stereo Mix" capability.

    Good luck,
    Paul
    Paul, Dec 3, 2013

  3. Guest

    On Monday, December 2, 2013 3:54:27 PM UTC-8, wrote:
    > I have been running audacity in the past for years. I now have a new computer running Windows 8.1. Computer is Asus with an i3 processor.
    >

    > I installed a compatible version of audacity successfully.
    >

    > But when I start record (running music on youtube), the error message says it can not find an input source. None are listed in the Input Source box..it is blank.
    >

    > I removed and installed a few other versions to no avail. Somehow there is a connect not in place to pick up an input.
    >

    > I have run a music on youtube with audacity which I have done in the past with my older computers.
    >

    > I have speakers plugged in the audio card where it should be and the speakers work excellent.
    >

    > How would the input get to audacity?
    >

    > Regards,
    >

    > Dave C.

    Paul,

    Thanks very much for the links. SUCCESS, as the Stereo Mix was not enabled. I would not have been able to intuitively work to the appropriate screen to enable it. Thanks for spending time to do this.

    Thanks, and regards,

    Dave C.
    , Dec 5, 2013