    The reserves are in LaLa land.
    For many items I can go into a shop & buy for less, so whats the point of the
    auction??

    S Roby, Jul 2, 2005

  2. S Roby

    Richard Guest

    S Roby wrote:
    > Just had a quick look at Auction City (www.auctioncity.co.nz)
    > The reserves are in LaLa land.
    > For many items I can go into a shop & buy for less, so whats the point of the
    > auction??

    The point is to make money from those that bid on it.

    Richard, Jul 2, 2005

  3. S Roby

    Harry Guest

    S Roby wrote:

    > Just had a quick look at Auction City (www.auctioncity.co.nz)
    > The reserves are in LaLa land.
    > For many items I can go into a shop & buy for less, so whats the point of
    > the auction??

    The spiel for each item seems to suggest that it is being written
    by the same person, so it isn't exactly like you are buying things
    off a whole lot of private individuals. You'd better off looking
    at the For Sale columns of your local free-delivery rag.

    Harry, Jul 2, 2005
  4. S Roby

    DaveD Guest

    S Roby wrote:

    > Just had a quick look at Auction City (www.auctioncity.co.nz)
    > The reserves are in LaLa land.
    > For many items I can go into a shop & buy for less, so whats the point of the
    > auction??

    This says it all really.

    > AuctionCity Ltd is a New Zealand Company and is a trading subsidiary of

    Black Diamond Technologies Ltd - a company which has traded successfully in
    New Zealand for over 20 years. We have over 70 staff and offer all our
    Members full Customer Services and Technical support on all our products.
    We have Branches around New Zealand - see below for full address and
    phone details.

    Then, a little further on

    > AuctionCity currently has the support of top quality products from the

    suppliers of:
    > RCA, OASIS, Uniden, Electrolux, Mitsubishi Canon, Roadshow, Salter,

    Gigabyte, Haier, Alto and more?

    DaveD, Jul 2, 2005
  5. S Roby

    Mercury Guest

    it sounds like melco.

    Mercury, Jul 2, 2005
  6. S Roby

    SteveM Guest

    "Mercury" <> wrote in news:da5n0f$464$:

    > it sounds like melco.
    >
    > "DaveD" <> wrote in message
    >>S Roby wrote:
    >>
    >>> Just had a quick look at Auction City (www.auctioncity.co.nz)
    >>> The reserves are in LaLa land.
    >>> For many items I can go into a shop & buy for less, so whats the
    >>> point of the auction??

    >> This says it all really.
    >>
    >>> AuctionCity Ltd is a New Zealand Company and is a trading subsidiary
    >>> of

    >> Black Diamond Technologies Ltd - a company which has traded
    >> successfully in
    >> New Zealand for over 20 years. We have over 70 staff and offer all
    >> our Members full Customer Services and Technical support on all our
    >> products. We have Branches around New Zealand - see below for full
    >> address and phone details.
    >>
    >> Then, a little further on
    >>
    >>> AuctionCity currently has the support of top quality products from
    >>> the

    >> suppliers of:
    >>> RCA, OASIS, Uniden, Electrolux, Mitsubishi Canon, Roadshow, Salter,

    >> Gigabyte, Haier, Alto and more?

    It is Melco, or what was Melco. They have been known as BDT for a number
    of years now.

    They sell almost all of their stock that has benn returned by resellers
    for one reason or another through the Auction site. Reasonably smart on
    their part.

    SteveM

    SteveM, Jul 2, 2005
  7. S Roby

    Mercury Guest

    I had a good chuckle after that post as the product line fit so well.
    Some of the prices are ridiculous. None are attractive that I noticed.
    If one is to pay that high an amount then using "Auction" to dodge the CGA
    is well dodgy.

    It is preying on people.

    Mercury, Jul 2, 2005
  8. S Roby

    thing Guest

    S Roby wrote:
    > Just had a quick look at Auction City (www.auctioncity.co.nz)
    > The reserves are in LaLa land.
    > For many items I can go into a shop & buy for less, so whats the point of the
    > auction??

    catch the gullable?

    It isnt an auction....it is a single company selling its stock at either
    retail or close to it, or selling damaged goods at what they think
    they are worth, even if the reality is they are worthless...one to void
    I would suggest.

    regards

    Thing

    thing, Jul 3, 2005
  9. S Roby wrote:
    > Just had a quick look at Auction City (www.auctioncity.co.nz)
    > The reserves are in LaLa land.
    > For many items I can go into a shop & buy for less, so whats the point of the
    > auction??

    to make money... just like trademe... there are very few "bargains", but
    plenty of people making plenty of money from selling there...

    idiot born every minute, scammer born every half minute to take advantage.

    --
    http://dave.net.nz <- My personal site.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jul 3, 2005