    shit in ellerslie.

    I recall something about it moving or closing or something. Can someone tell me
    if there is an equivilent still running these days?

    Richard, Jun 16, 2005

  2. Richard

    Armpit Guest

    On Thu, 16 Jun 2005 14:06:13 +1200, Richard wrote:

    > A long time ago, there was a computer fair where people offloaded old worthless
    > shit in ellerslie.
    >
    > I recall something about it moving or closing or something. Can someone tell me
    > if there is an equivilent still running these days?

    Dick Smiths (ha ha)

    Armpit, Jun 16, 2005

  3. Richard

    Mackin Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > A long time ago, there was a computer fair where people offloaded old
    > worthless shit in ellerslie.
    >
    > I recall something about it moving or closing or something. Can someone
    > tell me if there is an equivilent still running these days?

    It moved to the Panmure Community Centre. I haven't been there in ages but
    last time I did go the same dodgy looking sellers were there as used to be
    at the Ellerslie school.

    Mackin.

    Mackin, Jun 16, 2005
  4. Richard

    S Roby Guest

    In article <Gd7se.7885$>, Mackin <> wrote:
    >Richard wrote:
    >
    >> A long time ago, there was a computer fair where people offloaded old
    >> worthless shit in ellerslie.
    >>
    >> I recall something about it moving or closing or something. Can someone
    >> tell me if there is an equivilent still running these days?

    >It moved to the Panmure Community Centre. I haven't been there in ages but
    >last time I did go the same dodgy looking sellers were there as used to be
    >at the Ellerslie school.
    >
    >Mackin.

    Its the same guys selling the same junk as 3 years ago & new guys selling new
    stuff from their PC shop.

    Dont buy anything second hand/used & expect it to work properly.(caught out
    every time)
    But you can pick up some reasonably priced new stuff, quite price competitive
    between all the sellers there.

    Ive often wondered why some of the sellers would bother, sureley there
    saturday is worth more than what they make selling old parts for $10 each.

    S Roby, Jun 16, 2005
  5. Richard

    ~misfit~ Guest

    S Roby wrote:

    <snip>

    > Ive often wondered why some of the sellers would bother, sureley there
    > saturday is worth more than what they make selling old parts for $10
    > each.

    Because it's better than stuff going in landfills? I've been cleaning out my
    roomfull (literally) of older PC stuff recently. Some 486 stuff but mainly
    Socket 7. Topping up the wheelie bin each week. I'd much rather it go to
    someone who would re-use it but it's hard to find homes for that sort of
    stuff these days.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 16, 2005
  6. Richard

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Because it's better than stuff going in landfills? I've been cleaning out my
    > roomfull (literally) of older PC stuff recently. Some 486 stuff but mainly
    > Socket 7. Topping up the wheelie bin each week. I'd much rather it go to
    > someone who would re-use it but it's hard to find homes for that sort of
    > stuff these days.

    There are no computer recyclers in nz other then the ones that just sell the
    machines onto some other poor sap.

    I dont know if it would even be economic to try to recycle the motherboards etc.

    Richard, Jun 16, 2005
  7. Richard

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    >> Because it's better than stuff going in landfills? I've been
    >> cleaning out my roomfull (literally) of older PC stuff recently.
    >> Some 486 stuff but mainly Socket 7. Topping up the wheelie bin each
    >> week. I'd much rather it go to someone who would re-use it but it's
    >> hard to find homes for that sort of stuff these days.

    > There are no computer recyclers in nz other then the ones that just
    > sell the machines onto some other poor sap.

    This tallies with my experience.

    > I dont know if it would even be economic to try to recycle the
    > motherboards etc.

    Overseas they do. I Googled NZ and found nothing. There's gold in them-there
    PC components........
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 16, 2005
  8. Richard

    S Roby Guest

    In article <>, "~misfit~" <> wrote:
    >S Roby wrote:
    >
    ><snip>
    >
    >> Ive often wondered why some of the sellers would bother, sureley there
    >> saturday is worth more than what they make selling old parts for $10
    >> each.

    >Because it's better than stuff going in landfills?

    Good point, but would you spend EVERY saturday trying to sell this junk for
    $10 a part??

    If we were to be honest, it all ends up in the dump eventually.

    S Roby, Jun 16, 2005
  9. Richard

    S Roby Guest

    >> I dont know if it would even be economic to try to recycle the
    >> motherboards etc.

    10-15 years ago, overseas companies used to shred the stuff to extract the
    gold (saw it on a TV doco)

    S Roby, Jun 16, 2005
  10. Richard

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in

    > Richard wrote:
    >> ~misfit~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Because it's better than stuff going in landfills? I've been
    >>> cleaning out my roomfull (literally) of older PC stuff recently.
    >>> Some 486 stuff but mainly Socket 7. Topping up the wheelie bin each
    >>> week. I'd much rather it go to someone who would re-use it but it's
    >>> hard to find homes for that sort of stuff these days.

    >> There are no computer recyclers in nz other then the ones that just
    >> sell the machines onto some other poor sap.

    > This tallies with my experience.
    >
    >> I dont know if it would even be economic to try to recycle the
    >> motherboards etc.

    > Overseas they do. I Googled NZ and found nothing. There's gold in
    > them-there PC components........
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    In Christchurch there is a place called Molten Media. They rip apart old
    PCs to bits, keep/ sell good, recycle broken/ old.

    http://www.molten.org.nz/

    Molten Media Community Trust is a local Christchurch organisation that
    recycles and refurbishes old computer equipment. Refurbished computers
    are given back to the community or sold at low prices to advantage those
    in need. Recycled parts are sent off to companies in industries that can
    use them so as to keep them from our local landfills.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 16, 2005
  11. Richard

    Rob J Guest

    In article <42b1207b$> in nz.comp on Thu, 16 Jun 2005
    18:50:20 +1200, Richard <> says...
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >
    > > Because it's better than stuff going in landfills? I've been cleaning out my
    > > roomfull (literally) of older PC stuff recently. Some 486 stuff but mainly
    > > Socket 7. Topping up the wheelie bin each week. I'd much rather it go to
    > > someone who would re-use it but it's hard to find homes for that sort of
    > > stuff these days.

    > There are no computer recyclers in nz other then the ones that just sell the
    > machines onto some other poor sap.

    Actually, there are communuity groups recycling and companies like the
    Ark that recycle stuff for schools.

    Rob J, Jun 16, 2005
  12. Richard

    Richard Guest

    Rob J wrote:
    > In article <42b1207b$> in nz.comp on Thu, 16 Jun 2005

    >>There are no computer recyclers in nz other then the ones that just sell the
    >>machines onto some other poor sap.

    > Actually, there are communuity groups recycling and companies like the
    > Ark that recycle stuff for schools.

    They are the ones that I was getting to with the comment above. They dont
    recycle the components, they just find someone that will use the old relic for a
    year or 2 more before it breaks down.

    When you turn up with a bunch of old pentiums or 486's, noone will want them,
    therefore they will get dumped despite there claims of "recycling" them.

    Hell, I asked everyone I knew if they wanted a P3 board and CPU (condition
    unknown as I cant be assed testing) - I couldnt give that away, and a P3 has
    some use as a linux box. so it went in the wheely bin.

    Face it, when a AMD semperon is $80 and a mobo is about $80, whatvalue does
    something 8-10 times slower have? none...

    Richard, Jun 16, 2005
  13. Richard

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Rob J wrote:
    >> In article <42b1207b$> in nz.comp on Thu, 16 Jun
    >> 2005

    >>> There are no computer recyclers in nz other then the ones that just
    >>> sell the machines onto some other poor sap.

    >> Actually, there are communuity groups recycling and companies like
    >> the Ark that recycle stuff for schools.

    > They are the ones that I was getting to with the comment above. They
    > dont recycle the components, they just find someone that will use the
    > old relic for a year or 2 more before it breaks down.

    IMO that's still better than dumping it *now*.

    > When you turn up with a bunch of old pentiums or 486's, noone will
    > want them, therefore they will get dumped despite there claims of
    > "recycling" them.

    Exactly.

    > Hell, I asked everyone I knew if they wanted a P3 board and CPU
    > (condition unknown as I cant be assed testing) - I couldnt give that
    > away, and a P3 has some use as a linux box. so it went in the wheely
    > bin.

    Man, I would have taken that off your hands. I've made my cut-off point for
    dumping stuff 300MHz for now.

    > Face it, when a AMD semperon is $80 and a mobo is about $80,
    > whatvalue does something 8-10 times slower have? none...

    Except to those who don't have a spare $160. Believe me, those people exist.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Jun 17, 2005
  14. Richard

    Richard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>Face it, when a AMD semperon is $80 and a mobo is about $80,
    >>whatvalue does something 8-10 times slower have? none...

    > Except to those who don't have a spare $160. Believe me, those people exist.

    Well to me, it puts the value of the P3+board at $16-$20 - thats less then the
    cost of the time + gas to either drive across town and pick it up, or the cost
    of time+materials+courier to send it.

    I have a cut off, If I cant get $30 for something on tard me, its better to just
    dump it then go thru the hastle of photgraphing, listing, and selling it.
    (unless its something really small)

    I think I have some more CPUs and shit that I will unearth soon with cleaning up
    junk thats being unlooked at for the last 4 years, gimme a email to the address
    and I will let you know what I find and if you want it, I am on the shore
    however, and I understand you are out south.

    I was asking the original queation about computer fairs as a mate has gotten a
    dual cpu capable compaq server and it itching to get a second P3 in it, and I
    cant think of a better place to get one from.

    Richard, Jun 17, 2005
  15. Richard

    Rob J Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on Fri, 17 Jun 2005
    04:21:24 +1200, Richard <> says...
    > Rob J wrote:
    > > In article <42b1207b$> in nz.comp on Thu, 16 Jun 2005

    > >>There are no computer recyclers in nz other then the ones that just sell the
    > >>machines onto some other poor sap.

    > > Actually, there are communuity groups recycling and companies like the
    > > Ark that recycle stuff for schools.

    > They are the ones that I was getting to with the comment above. They dont
    > recycle the components, they just find someone that will use the old relic for a
    > year or 2 more before it breaks down.

    Not quite. A school I know of bought some old boxes (486)? that one of
    these recyclers had upgraded with a K6/2 motherboard, CPU and memory.

    > When you turn up with a bunch of old pentiums or 486's, noone will want them,
    > therefore they will get dumped despite there claims of "recycling" them.
    >
    > Hell, I asked everyone I knew if they wanted a P3 board and CPU (condition
    > unknown as I cant be assed testing) - I couldnt give that away, and a P3 has
    > some use as a linux box. so it went in the wheely bin.
    >
    > Face it, when a AMD semperon is $80 and a mobo is about $80, whatvalue does
    > something 8-10 times slower have? none...

    These days when you can get a 3 year old ex lease PC for $200 or less no
    one bothers much with things older than 5 years.

    Rob J, Jun 17, 2005
  16. Richard

    thing Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > A long time ago, there was a computer fair where people offloaded old
    > worthless shit in ellerslie.
    >
    > I recall something about it moving or closing or something. Can someone
    > tell me if there is an equivilent still running these days?

    if you are looking to sell or buy go trademe.

    regards

    thing

    thing, Jun 17, 2005