    MicroATX motherboard. Are there any advantages/disadvanteges to either?
    TIA
    Jerry
    Jerry, Oct 6, 2004

  2. Jerry

    Dee Guest

    Jerry wrote:

    > Other than physical size, what differences are there between an ATX and a
    > MicroATX motherboard. Are there any advantages/disadvanteges to either?
    > TIA
    > Jerry

    The microATX has fewer PCI slots and most, if not all, have the video on
    board.

    Advantages and disadvantages would depend on your desires/requirements.

    You can build a physically smaller system with a microATX and could get
    by without some of the plugin cards.
    Dee, Oct 6, 2004

  3. Jerry

    Fitz Guest

    Micro ATX boards have fewer PCI slots (usually 3 vs 5). They use the same
    chipsets, and many have all the features available on a standard ATX board.
    If you want on board graphics, it's easier to find on a microATX board.
    I've built two computers based on the Biostar M7NCG board, which is micro.
    It's the NForce 2 chipset with on board graphics (with an available AGP slot
    for video card upgrade), sound, LAN, USB2, and headers for firewire. I built
    them for my kids and did not have to add any additional PCI components. Both
    have been running about a year with absolutely no problems.

    Fitz
    Fitz, Oct 6, 2004
  4. Jerry

    yak Guest

    In article <DDV8d.4302$>,
    says...
    > Other than physical size, what differences are there between an ATX and a
    > MicroATX motherboard. Are there any advantages/disadvanteges to either?
    > TIA
    > Jerry

    It's smaller so you give up slots and maybe a few usb ports and whatnot.
    Other than that, you can get whatever chipset you want on both, both can
    have onboard video as well as an agp slot, both have onboard sound if
    you want...

    Basically size is the only difference.
    yak, Oct 6, 2004
  5. Jerry

    Ben Myers Guest

    The typical microATX board has either 4 PCI slots or (3 PCI slots and an AGP
    slot). The typical ATX board adds another two slots. An older ATX or even mATX
    board may have an ISA slot or two rather than some of the PCI slots. Depending
    on the model, both types of boards may have either ob-board video or an AGP slot
    or both. Either type of board may have up to 6 USB ports, if you count the
    usual pair connected via a cable to the front of the case. Parallel, one or two
    serial, and PS/2-style keyboard and mouse connectors are almost always present
    on both types.

    That's a quick thumbnail sketch... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 7, 2004
  6. Jerry

    Ben Myers Guest

    Oh, yeah. A micro ATX board will fit in a full ATX case. An ATX board will not
    fit in a microATX case. Duh! They have the same mounting screw pattern. A
    microATX board looks absolutely tiny in a full ATX case, but it does the job
    when you need a system with a lot of drive bays... Ben Myers

    Ben Myers, Oct 7, 2004
  7. Jerry

    Papa Guest

    Technically, no. But the full size units have a lot more room and are much
    easier to work on or to add components to - and they are less likely to have
    heating problems. Also, the full size units usually have more add-on slots
    (PCI).

    Papa, Oct 7, 2004
  8. Jerry

    Papa Guest

    Oops. I misread your question, incorrectly thinking you were talking about
    cases - not motherboards. Sorry.

    Papa, Oct 8, 2004