    motherboard? Recommended?

    TIA

    Kurt
    Kurt, Apr 2, 2004

  2. Kurt

    ICee Guest

    Kurt wrote:
    > Just installed a slightly used DFI Ultra Infinity motherboard. Have
    > an older 300W Power Supply without an ATX 2x2 12V Power Connector.
    > Won't boot. Nothing. Won't even show the BIOS setup. Concluding
    > that the 12V power supply connector is a necessity? Thought that it
    > was just there to provide extra 12V so the main power connector
    > wouldn't overheat, in which case it should boot and run ok for a
    > while?
    >
    > Before I run out and get a new power supply, is it definitely a
    > requirement to have the 12V connector? How about the cheap cable
    > that converts a disk drive power connector from the power supply into
    > the 2x2 needed on the motherboard? Recommended?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Kurt

    They wouldn't put the connector on the MB if it wasn't neccesary. Get a
    proper power supply. Use this to get an idea what size PSU you need,
    and don't get a cheap generic unit if you want the system to run well.
    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/
    ICee, Apr 2, 2004

  3. Kurt

    Sano Guest

    I've read where that isn't an uncommon problem.

    Otherwise, if it doen't boot with a new ps, try a stick of slower ram.

    I just got an Asus up with a stick of 100 sdram, instead of 133's which
    were unsucessful.

    Sano, Apr 2, 2004
  4. Kurt

    Kurt Guest

    Thanks for your helpful responses. I did find a power supply with the 2x2
    12V connector. Didn't help. Must have a dead motherboard. Bummer!

    Kurt

    Kurt, Apr 2, 2004
  5. Kurt

    ICee Guest

    Kurt wrote:
    > Thanks for your helpful responses. I did find a power supply with
    > the 2x2 12V connector. Didn't help. Must have a dead motherboard.
    > Bummer!
    >
    > Kurt

    That is too bad, but at least you now have a power supply the
    motherboard deserves (once you get a working one, that is). :)

    ICee, Apr 2, 2004
  6. Kurt

    br1ght Guest

    The extra connect feeds the mobo 12v pos... there are
    adapters available to use an older power supply, however,
    common sense (sometimes which isn't too common) dictates
    that a $20 power supply that is certified for P4 use would
    be the smart way to go...

    br1ght

    br1ght, Apr 5, 2004