    .

    Morris

    , Dec 7, 2005

  2. Unruh Guest

    writes:

    >Hi. We are from a research university in the US and are conducting
    >research on computer system security breaches. We are following up on
    >a previous post and would appreciate your thoughts. (Thanks to those
    >who replied to the previous similar post.)

    Which university? Which department? Have you passed this research by your
    committee evaluating Research on Human Subjects?

    Ie, I do not believe you.

    >Our main question is what exactly makes one organization more
    >attractive than another when an attacker is selecting "victims"? There
    >may be many different motivations for an attack and we are interested
    >in
    >understanding the various dimensions that make an organization
    >attractive. We would appreciate any thoughts any of you have about
    >this. Feel free to reply to the newsgroup or to my email directly at
    >.

    Why would you want a bunch of people's arrant guesses? Make up your own
    guesses.

    Unruh, Dec 7, 2005

  3. Jim Watt Guest

    On 7 Dec 2005 19:20:33 GMT, Unruh <> wrote:

    > writes:
    >
    >>Hi. We are from a research university in the US and are conducting
    >>research on computer system security breaches. We are following up on
    >>a previous post and would appreciate your thoughts. (Thanks to those
    >>who replied to the previous similar post.)

    >Which university? Which department? Have you passed this research by your
    >committee evaluating Research on Human Subjects?
    >
    >Ie, I do not believe you.

    you really are a cynical person, there again so am I and it did sound
    bullshit and nobody genuine would use an email like that ...

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Dec 8, 2005
  4. theonesteve Guest

    Unless...instead of guesses, this guy is harvesting email addresses for
    spam usage...

    theonesteve, Dec 8, 2005
  5. Winged Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi. We are from a research university in the US and are conducting
    > research on computer system security breaches. We are following up on
    > a previous post and would appreciate your thoughts. (Thanks to those
    > who replied to the previous similar post.)
    >
    > Our main question is what exactly makes one organization more
    > attractive than another when an attacker is selecting "victims"? There
    > may be many different motivations for an attack and we are interested
    > in
    > understanding the various dimensions that make an organization
    > attractive. We would appreciate any thoughts any of you have about
    > this. Feel free to reply to the newsgroup or to my email directly at
    > .
    >
    > Morris

    Morris,

    Easy,

    The organization that doesn't patch regularly, has minimal security, no
    monitoring, and no control over user activities. Why? Because they are
    easy. Those who are alert and actively protecting their systems are hard...

    Winged

    Winged, Dec 8, 2005
  6. From: "Winged" <>

    | Morris,
    |
    | Easy,
    |
    | The organization that doesn't patch regularly, has minimal security, no
    | monitoring, and no control over user activities. Why? Because they are
    | easy. Those who are alert and actively protecting their systems are hard...
    |
    | Winged

    Why do crooks steal from banks ?

    That's where the money is at.

    With some, obstacles will attempted to be overcome even if it is hard because the target has
    the prize the hacker seeks.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    David H. Lipman, Dec 8, 2005
  7. Donnie Guest

    > you really are a cynical person, there again so am I and it did sound
    > bullshit and nobody genuine would use an email like that ...

    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    ##################################
    If you think their email is strange, what about their dialup connection?
    donnie

    Donnie, Dec 8, 2005
  8. theonesteve Guest

    I could see a university's research department having a dialup-only
    connection for some jerk who's announced he wants to research how
    hackers choose their targets. However, that email address is way too
    phishy. If it truly were a research project at a US university, the
    person would have an email account on that university's server (ending
    in .edu, if nothing else). The wording of the message is a tip-off,
    too...Americans don't usually identify themselves as US citizens unless
    asked to...we assume that everyone knows we're in the US :) Not only
    that, but who cares if the researcher is at an American university or
    at a school in another country? The research ends up being about the
    same.

    theonesteve, Dec 8, 2005
  9. Unruh Guest

    "theonesteve" <> writes:

    >I could see a university's research department having a dialup-only
    >connection for some jerk who's announced he wants to research how
    >hackers choose their targets. However, that email address is way too
    >phishy. If it truly were a research project at a US university, the
    >person would have an email account on that university's server (ending
    >in .edu, if nothing else). The wording of the message is a tip-off,
    >too...Americans don't usually identify themselves as US citizens unless
    >asked to...we assume that everyone knows we're in the US :) Not only
    >that, but who cares if the researcher is at an American university or
    >at a school in another country? The research ends up being about the
    >same.

    And anyone working at a university on a survey like this must pass the
    surevey by their committee on research on human subjects, and the report of
    that committee on the experiment must be made available to those human
    subjects-- and participants in a survey are human subjects.

    Unruh, Dec 8, 2005
  10. Winged Guest

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Winged" <>
    >
    > | Morris,
    > |
    > | Easy,
    > |
    > | The organization that doesn't patch regularly, has minimal security, no
    > | monitoring, and no control over user activities. Why? Because they are
    > | easy. Those who are alert and actively protecting their systems are hard...
    > |
    > | Winged
    >
    > Why do crooks steal from banks ?
    >
    > That's where the money is at.
    >
    > With some, obstacles will attempted to be overcome even if it is hard because the target has
    > the prize the hacker seeks.

    Good Point! One I remembered I missed after I posted.

    Winged

    Winged, Dec 9, 2005
  11. Mimic Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi. We are from a research university in the US and are conducting
    > research on computer system security breaches. We are following up on
    > a previous post and would appreciate your thoughts. (Thanks to those
    > who replied to the previous similar post.)
    >
    > Our main question is what exactly makes one organization more
    > attractive than another when an attacker is selecting "victims"? There
    > may be many different motivations for an attack and we are interested
    > in
    > understanding the various dimensions that make an organization
    > attractive. We would appreciate any thoughts any of you have about
    > this. Feel free to reply to the newsgroup or to my email directly at
    > .
    >
    > Morris

    Often its down to people doing a piss poor job at immitating someone
    they bare no resemblance to.

    --
    Mimic

    First day it opened I went down there, was doing a few laps and pulled
    over and the manager comes over to me and says "Oi, mate! No
    professionals." I said I'm not a professional. He said "Well, you should
    be with moves like that you could be the best in Britain". I said, "No
    thanks I'm making shit loads from computers".

    [email: ZGF0YWZsZXhAY2FubmFiaXNtYWlsLmNvbQ==]
    Help Stop Spam - www.hidemyemail.net

    "I have come to realise that, only in death, will I find true perfection."

    Mimic, Dec 13, 2005
  12. Mimic Guest

    theonesteve wrote:
    > Unless...instead of guesses, this guy is harvesting email addresses for
    > spam usage...

    Not very efficiently, so yeah, maybe they are .rotardian or something.

    Mimic, Dec 13, 2005