ATTN: Ron Baird - DC4800 advice please

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Steve, Mar 20, 2005.

  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Hi Ron,

    I'm new to the group, didn't know you guys were here until I was told
    by a friend to drop by and talk with you.

    I'm mainly looking for advice, and it seems that you are *the* Kodak
    guru of the group. I'm a DC4800 owner. I love the camera to pieces but
    am aggravated with an issue that has existed in it ever since I have
    owned it. The problem I'm having are the crosshairs in the viewfinder.
    They're way off alignment, offset to the lower right hand corner. If I
    try to align my subject even remotely close to what the crosshairs
    look like, I usually will end up cutting off the top or bottom, or
    even miss 1/3 of what I'm trying to photograph. It's really just a
    gamble if I can take a balanced shot with the thing and an even
    greater pain in the posterior when that extra special shot is lost
    because of it. A lot of times I'm outside in the sunshine and unable
    to use the LCD screen as the viewfinder because I can't see it
    reliably in bright sunlight. So, I decided to shoot a query off to
    Kodak customer support, and here is the response I got:

    Thank you for your recent visit to the Kodak Web site and question
    about KODAK DC4800 Zoom Digital Camera.

    What you are describing is not a defect. These marks are there to
    compensate for the fact that the camera view find is not seeing
    exactly what the lens sees.

    These are the marks in the viewfinders that are used to frame the
    target. They are offset to compensate for the fact that the viewfinder
    is positioned on top of and/or to the side of the lens. When using the
    optical zoom range of the lens from wide-angle to telephoto, the
    brackets near the center of the viewfinder will show the center of the
    captured image. Also, there are secondary lines in the viewfinder that
    show the portion that will not be captured in telephoto exposures.
    When the subject is closer than 4 feet, these secondary marks should
    be used to frame the picture. When using the digital zoom feature, or
    when the subject is closer than about 2 feet or when using the
    Close-up/Macro feature on cameras so-equipped, the color LCD should be
    used as the viewfinder because the parallax will be too great to
    compensate for with the optical viewfinder.

    We are glad to be of service and are here for you if you need us in
    the future. Please reply to us "with history" if this e-mail did not
    resolve the issue you wrote to us about.

    Regards,

    Ara T.
    KODAK Information and Technical Support

    Now Ron, I'm sorry but I have a hard time accepting this. I have used
    plenty of other cameras similar to the 4800 and the crosshairs are
    aligned and centered in the viewfinder properly as they should be,
    hence a well balanced picture can be taken. Do you have any ideas or
    thoughts to offer on this?? Is the CSR response indeed correct? I mean
    I'll accept it if you think this peron knows what they're talking
    about, even though I've never heard of such a thing.. All I know is
    that it sure takes the fun out of using such a fine camera when every
    shot is almost always unbalanced and unacceptable because of a screwy
    viewfinder.

    Thanks for your input,
    Steve

    Steve, Mar 20, 2005

  2. Steve

    san123 Guest

    Parallax Error - all optical viewfinder no TTL cameras will do this

    Parallax error - the viewfinder is looking at a slightly different angle
    than the lens and thus the images and centering don't match, especially as
    the subject gets closer to the camera. This will happen in any camera with a
    viewfinder that is not TTL (through the lens) as the DC4800. You will
    eliminate this problem by using the LCD when you can, since the LCD is
    seeing showing exactly what is seen TTL and picked up by the sensor.

    http://www.dpreview.com/learn/?/Glossary/Camera_System/Viewfinder_01.htm

    Weth

    san123, Mar 20, 2005

  3. Steve

    Ron Baird Guest

    Re: Ron Baird - DC4800 advice please

    Greetings Steve,

    Sorry I did not get to comment till today.

    Actually the viewfinder that you are concerned about was designed that way
    on purpose. The markers in it are there to help you adjust for parallax
    issues that you may get when you get close. Whenever you use a viewfinder,
    you are not actually seeing what the camera is going to record. Rather, the
    camera generally will be less. To overcome this Kodak suggests that you uise
    the LCD on the back of the camera for close up shots. The viewfinder lines
    will guide you during your composition so you do not make that mistake when
    composing with it. Use this feature when you are in the close up mode.
    Experiment a bit to become familiar with the lines and to see the difference
    in the pictures you will get.

    Good luck, you have a great camera.

    Talk to you soon.

    Ron Baird