Attn: NAT Experts - 2611XM and NAT pool

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by JCVD, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. JCVD

    JCVD Guest

    I've allocated 5 IP addresses to a NIC.

    My questions are these :

    Does it ONLY use the 2nd address in the range IF there are no more TCP
    ports left to allocate from the 1st ?

    When does it check the "available" ports ? Does it check when its used
    ALL ports from the combined IP address (5x 65,535) pool or does it
    check on each request ?

    If the router tells me from a "sho ip nat stat" command that its
    allocated 3 IP addresses out of the 5 then how many ports must it have
    had opened to do this ?

    OR

    Does it see this pool (5 x 65,535) as 1 huge pool and then only checks
    what ports are available after it reached the last port in the range ?

    I've read that it will ONLY waterfall over to the 2nd IP address if it
    has NO MORE AVAILABLE ports left from the 1st address.

    Can someone confirm this for me please ?

    Much TIA

    Jas
    JCVD, Feb 12, 2004

  2. On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 12:05:22 -0800, JCVD wrote:

    > Does it ONLY use the 2nd address in the range IF there are no more TCP
    > ports left to allocate from the 1st ?

    I don't believe so.

    > When does it check the "available" ports ? Does it check when its used
    > ALL ports from the combined IP address (5x 65,535) pool or does it check
    > on each request ?
    >
    > If the router tells me from a "sho ip nat stat" command that its
    > allocated 3 IP addresses out of the 5 then how many ports must it have
    > had opened to do this ?

    Not possible to tell. The current # of dynamic translations + the number
    of expired translations puts an upper bound on it for you. Doesn't say
    how many ports have been used, 'cause there's no rule against reusing
    ports in a new translation.

    It's a black art anyway, but I have read somewhere that they try to
    allocate the same port # as the source. If they can't do that they look
    for a 'nearby' one. If there isn't one sufficiently 'nearby', based on
    some arcane criteria I don't know about they might just move onto another
    address in the pool and start fishing around in that.

    I think it boils down to the number of translations created and the
    number of addresses used not necessarily having any particular
    relationship at all.

    --
    Rgds,
    Martin