Attn. Mike Brannigan. . .

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Tony Sperling, May 25, 2005.

  1. Hi!

    I successfully installed my download this morning and it's just fine, as
    expected. Only - as I think it was you I had an earlier exchange with,
    regarding the versioning of Win XP x64 pro, here are some comments. This
    affects one game (sim?) Colin Mc Rae Rally5 and it installs perfectly but
    still refuses to run on account of the OS being an evaluation copy. If you
    remember, you stated that the only difference from the shiping product was
    the time-bomb. I do not mistrust you but it is right there on the desktop -
    "Evaluation copy", and this must come from somewhere and Codemasters must be
    exploiting this information in some unknown way. It would be logical to
    assume it's in the Registry somewhere. I realize it is not Microsoft's fault
    and that every blame rests with Codemasters, but the level of stupidity that
    this company is capable of putting inside a single application does not
    build any confidence of making intellectual contact with them for a
    solution - of course, I will write them in the morning; this was too good a
    day - but can you or anybody think of a work-around? In spite of it all I am
    addicted to this piece of sh*t.

    The only other thing I can think of at the moment is the lack of support for
    the MS Sidewinder 3D Pro joystick - even though it has been discontinued I
    do think it would be nice if Microsoft could support their own products for
    a period of their expected lifetime.

    Regards, Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 25, 2005

  2. "Tony Sperling" <> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > I successfully installed my download this morning and it's just fine, as
    > expected. Only - as I think it was you I had an earlier exchange with,
    > regarding the versioning of Win XP x64 pro, here are some comments. This
    > affects one game (sim?) Colin Mc Rae Rally5 and it installs perfectly but
    > still refuses to run on account of the OS being an evaluation copy. If you
    > remember, you stated that the only difference from the shiping product was
    > the time-bomb. I do not mistrust you but it is right there on the
    > desktop - "Evaluation copy", and this must come from somewhere and
    > Codemasters must be exploiting this information in some unknown way. It
    > would be logical to assume it's in the Registry somewhere. I realize it is
    > not Microsoft's fault and that every blame rests with Codemasters, but the
    > level of stupidity that this company is capable of putting inside a single
    > application does not build any confidence of making intellectual contact
    > with them for a solution - of course, I will write them in the morning;
    > this was too good a day - but can you or anybody think of a work-around?
    > In spite of it all I am addicted to this piece of sh*t.

    Tony,

    If they are detecting the evaluation/time limited nature fo the OS then this
    is the issue.
    This was the case on the RC builds as they too had a time limit built in.
    So what I said was correct the only difference is the time bomb between the
    shipping final product you buy and the RCs/Eval copy you got by download.

    The workaround may be to buy the full OS and use that.
    It is possible they are detecting the time limited nature of the eval/trial
    copy you have - that is of course up to them if they wish to run their
    products only on fully purchased copies of an operating system.
    Before you purchase you should wait for their response.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], May 25, 2005

  3. Tony Sperling

    MHPNW STAFF Guest

    Tony,
    I bet that when you upgrade your trial software , and eliminate the time
    bomb. The evaluation notations will go away.
    You still have a full feature product in the trial....

    MHPNW STAFF, May 25, 2005
  4. "Mike Brannigan [MSFT]" <> wrote in message

    snip

    > The workaround may be to buy the full OS and use that.
    > It is possible they are detecting the time limited nature of the
    > eval/trial copy you have - that is of course up to them if they wish to
    > run their products only on fully purchased copies of an operating system.
    > Before you purchase you should wait for their response.
    >

    > --

    Sure it's up to them, and the reason I suspect is they lack the expertise to
    answer 'weird' technical isssues that reflect their - oh what the heck!

    Anyhow, great many thanks, and nothing short of the 'Fritz Chip' could
    stop me from buying this small wonder.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, May 25, 2005