Attn MCP Cert Team: MCSD Logo Versioning Required

Discussion in 'MCSD' started by Davin Mickelson, Dec 2, 2003.

  1. Greetings. This letter is to both the MS Cert Team and to anyone else who
    cares.

    I am currently interviewing at some select companies here in Minnesota. At
    every interview thus far, I have had to explain that, although the logo on
    my resume merely states MCSD, I am certified in VS6 and .NET. They see the
    logo and assume I am only certified in VB6 or VC6.

    The MCSD graphics that Microsoft has given me for use on BCs and resumes do
    not state the version of Microsoft technology for which I am certified. In
    other words, I have passed four additional exams (three C# exams and the
    Architecture exam) to keep the same MCSD logo.

    The Microsoft certification rules are quite specific in stating that I
    cannot modify Microsoft certification logos in any way. However, due to the
    recent confusion of my potential employers, I am exceedingly tempted to add
    a small, blue, italicized "for Microsoft .NET" to the bottom of the MCSD
    logo to truly advertise my certification level. I understand this would be a
    violation.

    I feel this is a serious issue. No, a certification logo on my resume does
    not ensure placement. However, I have found that it often helps me to get me
    a call back for a first interview when I submit a resume to a company. I
    would just like the logo to be a bit more specific.

    Davin Mickelson,
    MCSD.NET (not supposed to do this either)
    Davin Mickelson, Dec 2, 2003

  2. Davin Mickelson

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >They see the
    >logo and assume I am only certified in VB6 or VC6.

    What about Foxpro, hee, hee!
    Kline Sphere, Dec 2, 2003

  3. Doh!

    I crossed about five people out there. ;-)

    Davin

    Davin Mickelson, Dec 2, 2003
  4. Davin Mickelson

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >At
    >every interview thus far, I have had to explain that, although the logo on
    >my resume merely states MCSD, I am certified in VS6 and .NET.

    Why does it really matter? Surely a company will read your resume and
    deduce whether or not you 'may' be fit for the role based on your
    experience .

    However it does seem daft that there is not a separate logo for dot
    net.
    Kline Sphere, Dec 2, 2003
  5. Davin Mickelson

    Kline Sphere Guest

    >I crossed about five people out there

    Six I heard. lol!
    Kline Sphere, Dec 2, 2003
  6. True - my experience is a larger part of what will place me at a company.

    I am hoping that the letter will at least motivate someone on the cert team
    to bring it up as a meeting agenda item. They have continually had the
    problem with developers thumbing their noses at the entire idea of
    certifications. They should make the extra effort for those of us who
    actually give a hoot.

    Davin Mickelson, Dec 2, 2003
  7. Davin Mickelson

    Guest Guest

    You could add a notation beneath the logo (not modifying the logo) to
    indicate that your certification is .NET. Also, you could list your
    certification exams seperately in a section called "Education and
    Certifications".

    Guest, Dec 2, 2003
  8. Good point about adding the text below it. I can do that in whichever
    font/color/formatting I choose. But I must adhere to the logo rules about
    the amount of whitespace that must surround the logo.

    I do mention my certification titles in the Certification section.

    Thanks for your ideas.

    Davin

    Davin Mickelson, Dec 2, 2003
  9. How do you distinguish the MCSDs? Do you list the .NET MCSD as "MCSD for
    ..NET"?

    BTW, I agree wholeheartedly with you on this issue. Microsoft should
    distinguish the logos. And heck, they've added the .NET moniker to just
    about everything else they own, why not just add it to the MCSD to read
    MCSD.NET? <grin>

    --
    Leigh Kendall MCSD, MCDBA

    Leigh Kendall, Dec 2, 2003
  10. Davin Mickelson

    Guest Guest

    While job searching a few years ago, I found that some interviewers had a
    "la dee freeken da" attitude about Microsoft certification. I think that
    some IT people who are not certified (and who perhaps don't care to be) are
    perhaps intimidated. This sometimes manifests itself when they pretend not
    to know what it is and ask why I felt my certification would make me a
    better candidate.

    Guest, Dec 2, 2003
  11. I agree with you all : it's a shame not to have those
    credentials explicitly written on the logo (does
    Microsoft pay fees for each logo they create ?!), but
    it's also a shame if it's the only thing that can proove
    that you know .NET enough to have a job; your notations
    should say for it. AND don't forget that the official
    Microsoft Transcript tells exactly what exam you passed
    and what MCSD certification you hold. that should be
    enough for a serious interview, otherwise the job is not
    worth it.

    Regards.
    Laurent Desmons, Dec 2, 2003
  12. I appreciate your's and everyone else's comments. It appears as though I am
    not alone in believing this is a problem.

    Now, if it's enough to spur something to happen at Microsoft...

    Thanks for your comments.

    Davin Mickelson, MCSD.?

    Davin Mickelson, Dec 2, 2003
  13. Davin Mickelson

    Garry Mc Guest

    Well I too was disappointed with the MS logos. The
    company line is that its an upgrade and as such there is
    no logo change. That is you don't get logo changes dor NT
    4.0 to Windows 2000 (although I think you should!).

    However, even if we take this agrument seriously, does
    ANYONE consider the MCSD.NET to be an upgrade??? They are
    different products! - hence a new logo would make sense.

    Well, I wouldn't hold your breath, but hey they do
    sometimes listen.

    Garry Mc

    Garry Mc, Dec 2, 2003
  14. Davin Mickelson

    Guest Guest

    For the first time, Microsoft has upgraded something without changing it's
    name.

    WKidd

    Guest, Dec 3, 2003
  15. Davin Mickelson

    Guest Guest

    Don't get the FoxPro people stirred up or they'll start attacking with their
    wooden clubs and stone axes!

    Guest, Dec 3, 2003
  16. You know, I've thought the same thing (about having some type of .NET
    designation on the logo...)

    I'm sure the MCSEs out there feel the same way, especially when the
    Server 2000 exams came out. "Hey...I am NOT JUST certified in NT4...I
    am 2000 certified!!" Maybe the same thing with Server 2003 too.

    Heck, what about the MCDBAs with the 7.0 to 2000 to whatever "Yukon"
    will be called?

    I'm not saying this b/c I think that the logos shouldn't be updated;
    in fact, I am in agreement with everyone on this thread. Especially
    since there is a distinct difference architectually between VS6 and
    VS.NET...it's not just a "new version". This would be somewhat close
    to NT4 to 2000 for the MCSE.

    However, when it comes to Server 2000 to 2003 for MCSE or 7.0 to 2000
    for SQL Server, that is more of "new version" thing IMHO, and wouldn't
    really be such an issue with specifically designating it on the logo
    as it should be with .NET. But...I bet ppl that have MCSEs or MCDBAs
    feel the same about THEIR certifications...isn't that human nature?

    Kael MCSD

    Kael V. Dowdy, Dec 5, 2003
  17. Greetings, all.

    I find it odd that Microsoft won't create a new logo for .NET MCSDs yet did
    manage to create four new logos for MCSA/MCSE Messaging and MCSA/MCSE
    Security.

    As far as spacing goes, here's my understanding of the logo rules. As long
    as you leave enough white space below the logo that matches the same height
    as the black italicized Microsoft letters in the logo, it is fair game to
    put anything beneath it, such as small blue italicized text reading "for
    Microsoft .NET". Remember the logo must maintain its width and height ratio
    (no stretching).

    I don't want to do this, though. I want Microsoft to step up to the plate
    and create us a new MCSD logo. We earned it.

    Strangely, every place I applied at thus far did not have even one MCSD.NET.
    Apparently, we are a rare breed.

    It would be nice for SOMEONE from Microsoft to respond with reasons
    discrediting my idea.

    Thanks, everyone, for your replies.

    Davin Mickelson, MCSD (Guess)

    Davin Mickelson, Dec 5, 2003
  18. Davin Mickelson

    Guest Guest

    Hey I still use FoxPro to this day! Its actually quite
    handy :)

    In fact there's a class library for .NET that reproduces
    some of the FoxPro commands for use in .NET languages
    because they are so darn useful.

    Now don't make me pull out my club on you guys :)
    Guest, Dec 5, 2003
  19. Davin Mickelson

    Yahoo496 Guest

    Can you give the class name.

    And please don't pull that club, it's awful :)

    Yahoo496, Dec 7, 2003