Attn: Help - Need information on posting

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by euripides, Nov 15, 2004.

  1. euripides

    euripides Guest

    I've been using Forte Agent now for about six months. Only
    recently have I begun to contribute by posting. I was smart enough to
    learn how to post properly before I started, I didn't want to catch
    hell for screwing up. Well my problem lies in the following, I'll give
    the details so maybe someone can supply the answer.
    I'm an Optimum Online user accessing their news-server using Agent.
    When I post little things like this I post using Agent but for larger
    binary post I use Yenc-Post 2002 v1.02 which is where the problem
    begins. When I post using Yenc-Post It provides more information than
    I would like to go out in the header. Especially a little line in the
    header NNTP Posting Host : and there was my Ip Address plain as day. I
    know that it is possible to trace the post back unless you use a re
    posting service or something to that nature. All I want is to limit
    the amount of information that is presented when I post so that any
    novice cannot get my IP address. Although I know that my firewall and
    virus software is up to par I still would like to prevent this info
    from going out without having to spend anything further to do so. I
    appreciate any help that I receive in this matter and thank you in
    advance. Thank You
    euripides, Nov 15, 2004

  2. euripides

    G. Morgan Guest

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 02:20:11 GMT "euripides"
    used 19 lines of text to write in newsgroup: 24hoursupport.helpdesk

    > I've been using Forte Agent now for about six months. Only
    >recently have I begun to contribute by posting. I was smart enough to
    >learn how to post properly before I started, I didn't want to catch
    >hell for screwing up. Well my problem lies in the following, I'll give
    >the details so maybe someone can supply the answer.
    > I'm an Optimum Online user accessing their news-server using Agent.
    >When I post little things like this I post using Agent but for larger
    >binary post I use Yenc-Post 2002 v1.02 which is where the problem
    >begins. When I post using Yenc-Post It provides more information than
    >I would like to go out in the header. Especially a little line in the
    >header NNTP Posting Host : and there was my Ip Address plain as day. I
    >know that it is possible to trace the post back unless you use a re
    >posting service or something to that nature. All I want is to limit
    >the amount of information that is presented when I post so that any
    >novice cannot get my IP address. Although I know that my firewall and
    >virus software is up to par I still would like to prevent this info
    >from going out without having to spend anything further to do so. I
    >appreciate any help that I receive in this matter and thank you in
    >advance. Thank You

    Your news server adds the NNTP-Posting-Host header. Nothing you can
    do about it. You can get a free account at news.individual.net that
    does not add the line to your posts.

    --
    -Graham

    Remove the 'snails' from my email
    G. Morgan, Nov 15, 2004

  3. euripides wrote:
    > I've been using Forte Agent now for about six months. Only
    > recently have I begun to contribute by posting. I was smart enough to
    > learn how to post properly before I started, I didn't want to catch
    > hell for screwing up. Well my problem lies in the following, I'll give
    > the details so maybe someone can supply the answer.
    > I'm an Optimum Online user accessing their news-server using Agent.
    > When I post little things like this I post using Agent but for larger
    > binary post I use Yenc-Post 2002 v1.02 which is where the problem
    > begins. When I post using Yenc-Post It provides more information than
    > I would like to go out in the header. Especially a little line in the
    > header NNTP Posting Host : and there was my Ip Address plain as day. I
    > know that it is possible to trace the post back unless you use a re
    > posting service or something to that nature. All I want is to limit
    > the amount of information that is presented when I post so that any
    > novice cannot get my IP address. Although I know that my firewall and
    > virus software is up to par I still would like to prevent this info
    > from going out without having to spend anything further to do so. I
    > appreciate any help that I receive in this matter and thank you in
    > advance. Thank You

    You posted this using Agent. Is your IP 67.80.214.24?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 15, 2004
  4. euripides

    trout Guest

    Re: Help - Need information on posting

    euripides wrote:

    > I've been using Forte Agent now for about six months. Only
    > recently have I begun to contribute by posting. I was smart enough to
    > learn how to post properly before I started, I didn't want to catch
    > hell for screwing up. Well my problem lies in the following, I'll give
    > the details so maybe someone can supply the answer.
    > I'm an Optimum Online user accessing their news-server using Agent.
    > When I post little things like this I post using Agent but for larger
    > binary post I use Yenc-Post 2002 v1.02 which is where the problem
    > begins. When I post using Yenc-Post It provides more information than
    > I would like to go out in the header. Especially a little line in the
    > header NNTP Posting Host : and there was my Ip Address plain as day. I
    > know that it is possible to trace the post back unless you use a re
    > posting service or something to that nature. All I want is to limit
    > the amount of information that is presented when I post so that any
    > novice cannot get my IP address. Although I know that my firewall and
    > virus software is up to par I still would like to prevent this info
    > from going out without having to spend anything further to do so. I
    > appreciate any help that I receive in this matter and thank you in
    > advance. Thank You

    Are you saying that these posts differ from *this* one that displays
    the IP address for Optimum Online?
    --
    "Something that actually identifies your machine?"
    trout, Nov 15, 2004
  5. I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Mon,
    15 Nov 2004 02:20:11 GMT, euripides <> screamed from
    behind the mulberry bush:

    > I've been using Forte Agent now for about six months. Only
    >recently have I begun to contribute by posting. I was smart enough to
    >learn how to post properly before I started, I didn't want to catch
    >hell for screwing up. Well my problem lies in the following, I'll give
    >the details so maybe someone can supply the answer.
    > I'm an Optimum Online user accessing their news-server using Agent.
    >When I post little things like this I post using Agent but for larger
    >binary post I use Yenc-Post 2002 v1.02 which is where the problem
    >begins. When I post using Yenc-Post It provides more information than
    >I would like to go out in the header. Especially a little line in the
    >header NNTP Posting Host : and there was my Ip Address plain as day. I
    >know that it is possible to trace the post back unless you use a re
    >posting service or something to that nature. All I want is to limit
    >the amount of information that is presented when I post so that any
    >novice cannot get my IP address. Although I know that my firewall and
    >virus software is up to par I still would like to prevent this info
    >from going out without having to spend anything further to do so. I
    >appreciate any help that I receive in this matter and thank you in
    >advance. Thank You

    Really? You IP address you say? You mean *this* IP address?

    Here are your options: Find a premium NNTP service to post from and it
    will hide your IP address. Or quit posting to Usenet. BTW, scanned
    your ports, do you know what you have open?

    Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor
    Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor, Nov 15, 2004
  6. In article <> Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor <> wrote:

    >I was walking down the street, minding my own business, when on Mon,
    >15 Nov 2004 02:20:11 GMT, euripides <> screamed from
    >behind the mulberry bush:
    >
    >> I've been using Forte Agent now for about six months. Only
    >>recently have I begun to contribute by posting. I was smart enough to
    >>learn how to post properly before I started, I didn't want to catch
    >>hell for screwing up. Well my problem lies in the following, I'll give
    >>the details so maybe someone can supply the answer.
    >> I'm an Optimum Online user accessing their news-server using Agent.
    >>When I post little things like this I post using Agent but for larger
    >>binary post I use Yenc-Post 2002 v1.02 which is where the problem
    >>begins. When I post using Yenc-Post It provides more information than
    >>I would like to go out in the header. Especially a little line in the
    >>header NNTP Posting Host : and there was my Ip Address plain as day. I
    >>know that it is possible to trace the post back unless you use a re
    >>posting service or something to that nature. All I want is to limit
    >>the amount of information that is presented when I post so that any
    >>novice cannot get my IP address. Although I know that my firewall and
    >>virus software is up to par I still would like to prevent this info
    >>from going out without having to spend anything further to do so. I
    >>appreciate any help that I receive in this matter and thank you in
    >>advance. Thank You

    >Really? You IP address you say? You mean *this* IP address?

    Where are the gangs of people, traveling the country with no goal
    other than to find and shoot unarmed non combatants including women
    and children?

    >Here are your options: Find a premium NNTP service to post from and it
    >will hide your IP address. Or quit posting to Usenet. BTW, scanned
    >your ports, do you know what you have open?

    Do you really think that they do know what they have open? Or are you
    trying to be funny?

    >Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

    Do you think dreams are similar to wishes?

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "I'm not a 'bot' either but I can fake it as good as a pretender like
    yourself." -- Philip Lewis
    Lady Chatterly, Nov 15, 2004