attn glass photographers

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by David Welch, Dec 3, 2006.

  1. David Welch

    David Welch Guest

    A two part question for glass and commercial photographers:

    I did a small job for a local glass artist. Having limited equipment I
    shot against a paper backdrop with one and sometimes two wireless
    speedlights shooting at 125 f/8-f/11

    shots can be found here:
    http://davidwelchphotography.com/2006/12/03/mv-glassworks/

    I know there is a better way of shooting glass but information on the web
    is limited. What combination of lighting and backdrops can you recommend
    to achieve results like:
    http://davidwelchphotography.com/images/glass.JPG ??

    Secondly, and most likely the cause for much debate, how much should I
    charge per shot when photos are used for online marketing and product
    shots??

    TIA

    David Welch, Dec 3, 2006

  2. David Welch wrote:

    > I did a small job for a local glass artist. Having limited equipment
    > I shot against a paper backdrop with one and sometimes two wireless
    > speedlights shooting at 125 f/8-f/11
    >
    > shots can be found here:
    > http://davidwelchphotography.com/2006/12/03/mv-glassworks/

    I really like the even lighting on these shots. There's no glare or
    hotspots. It's personal taste on whether or not the line in the background
    from the sharp corner is desirable. I like them.

    > I know there is a better way of shooting glass but information on the
    > web is limited. What combination of lighting and backdrops can you
    > recommend to achieve results like:
    > http://davidwelchphotography.com/images/glass.JPG ??

    The lighting on this one is terrible and is single source that isn't
    diffused. Too much glare, shadows, and hotspots. The bottom/background is
    one single sheet without sharp bends or corners. Moving the vertical wall
    back farther is giving the darker background I'm assuming you're after. I
    would go with the background he's using with some overhead highly diffused
    light and use a wide snoot to add a bit more highlights to the subject and
    immediate surrounding area. It's all in the aiming at this point.

    > Secondly, and most likely the cause for much debate, how much should I
    > charge per shot when photos are used for online marketing and product
    > shots??

    I won't get into this one, sorry.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Dec 3, 2006

  3. David Welch

    David Welch Guest

    > I won't get into this one, sorry.

    yeah, touchy touchy....

    David Welch, Dec 3, 2006
  4. David Welch

    if Guest

    David Welch <> wrote:
    > Secondly, and most likely the cause for much debate, how much should I
    > charge per shot when photos are used for online marketing and product
    > shots??

    If you're UK based, use this as your minimum guide price:
    http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesguide/phonlrat.html

    There's a lot of advice on that site worth perusing.

    Ducharme's Axiom:
    If you view your problem closely enough you
    will recognize yourself as part of the problem.

    if, Dec 4, 2006
  5. David Welch

    David Welch Guest

    David Welch, Dec 5, 2006