Attn: Carlos!!!

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Tony Sperling, Apr 8, 2008.

  1. Good morning! (here)

    I recieved this in one of the other groups I attend - (simulators) as I
    remember, Carlos is one of the most prominent authorities on 'side-by-side'
    errors recognizeable to human knowledge (no?).

    <snip>

    *********
    I installed MSFSx when I zp installed. Then I installed Vista now I get a
    side by side conguration error when I try to start MSFS x I have checked my
    video driver. Does anybody have any suggestions?
    --
    shrekky4123

    *********

    <snip>

    Can we help this poor fellow? If he is 'dual-booting', will he need to
    re-install anything?

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Apr 8, 2008

  2. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    Sorry for being late but we are having an Internet blackout in the Island.
    Don't know how but I am connected here at my job.
    SideBySide errors mean that you are not having the correspoding VC++ dll's
    installed in your system.
    Note that x64 systems use both the x86 and x64 versions, depending on the
    program that needs them.
    VC++ redistributables can be found here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/beta/downloads/Search.aspx?SearchText=visual c++ redist

    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 8, 2008

  3. Ah, I know about those blackouts - often (not allways) it's because I forget
    they want their money first. As for the rest I guess we'll be at the mercy
    of the networks at least until somebody invents a Internet Dynamo that we
    can plug into our rowing machine?

    About those 'Redistributables' - since not everything needs them, is this a
    ..NET requirement or is it a Vista thing, and will they ever install if they
    are needed? Is there some way that you know of, of second guessing before
    you install something?

    Thanks though, Carlos! Let's hope he's helped.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 8, 2008
  4. Tony Sperling

    Carlos Guest

    Tony,
    Not a .NET Framework, not a Vista thing.
    I guess that well-behaved programs should install all their needed dll's.
    Some, but not all, are ill-behaved.
    What I always do, after an OS clean install, is to install:
    1.- DirectX redist
    2.- .NET Framework 3.5 (latest)
    3.- x86 and x64 redists of VC++ 2005 and 2008 (4 installs)
    Then, and only then, I begin installing the rest of the apps/games.

    I guess that FSX needs only the VC++2005 x86 package, but it doesn't hurt to
    install the 4 packages below.
    Download links for VC++:

    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...D9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C36F85647&displaylang=en

    Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x64)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...2D-33C0-4A47-9DD4-B9A6D7BD44DA&displaylang=en

    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x86)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...34-3E03-4391-8A4D-074B9F2BC1BF&displaylang=en

    Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable Package (x64)
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...71-E2D6-4230-B809-9A8D7548C1B6&displaylang=en

    This is all result of my experience, because I have never programmed in
    VC++, .NET or anything similar.
    So, my "alchemist" reflections may not be quite right/orthodox but get along
    very well with the results.
    Just plain old DOS BASIC, Visual Basic and Excel macros, AND ASSEMBLER!!!

    Carlos

    Carlos, Apr 8, 2008
  5. Thanks, Carlos!

    I had a look at the download page and I found out 'SideBySide' is actually a
    'Library' file in VC. If you develop using this library you need VC to be
    installed - or the redist!

    The versions of VC that I remember didn't have any such library, I need to
    dig in there I think?

    I first tried doing some early BASIC from a dictionary, but it didn't catch
    on with me I wanted something HardCore - I started with Quick C (DOS based)
    and took an ASSEMBLY course because I wanted what proved to become the short
    lived version of Quick C + Macro Assembler. As usual, MS discontinued that
    wonderfull package before I could pay for it and time sailed away before I
    found any real use for my new-found passion. Well if you know the basics of
    assembly, it's no wonder you have a good understanding for Hardware and
    Operating Systems, no matter your viewing angle, the concepts are all
    extending and overlapping into each other!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 8, 2008