    patch (815485) or does the SP2 update contain everything
    I need? And if the WPA patch is necessary should it be
    installed before SP2 is added?
    James P., Feb 16, 2005

  2. Re: Barb Bowman

    Greetings James,

    quote "For wireless clients that are running Windows XP service pack 2 (SP2)
    and that are using a wireless network adapter that supports the Wireless
    Zero Configuration service, the Windows WPA Client is included in Windows XP
    SP2. Therefore, additional downloads are not needed. The Windows WPA Client
    updates the wireless network configuration dialog boxes to support new WPA
    options."

    Overview of the WPA Wireless Security Update in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=815485

    _______________
    Eric Cross
    Microsoft MVP (Windows Networking)
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

    Eric Cross [MVP], Feb 16, 2005

  3. Windows XP SP2 includes the most recent WPA security bits, so you do
    not need a patch.

    Your wireless network card/embedded card will need firmware that
    supports WPA and you will need drivers that support this. Your router
    or access point will need to support WPA as well. If you post info on
    brands and models, you'll get additional assistance.

    Glad you find the columns useful!

    --
    Barb Bowman
    Expert Zone Columnist
    Barb Bowman [MVP-Windows], Feb 16, 2005
  4. Thanks to Eric & Barb

    Appreciate the additional info you both supplied. I contacted the mfgrs of my
    router and wireless NIC today and have downloaded the necessary updates (also
    have recv'd SP2 CD from MS) so it appears I'm ready to go ... thanks again!

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFtZXNQ?=, Feb 17, 2005
  5. James P.

    muntherkubba

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    WPA-PSK and High Rate Wireless LAN Adapter III

    My Thinkpad G40 has a built-in Wireless Adapter. It is the "High Rate Wilreless LAN Mini PCI Adapter III". I searched as much as I know how to find upgrades to this firmware or an update for the driver so that it would recognize the WAP-PSK network that I have at home with no success. Maybe you can advise.

    Thank you.
    muntherkubba, Sep 30, 2006