  1. Why do you keep using Slackware? Consider this an academic question, so
    Google can't help, and no I don't think a hard drive format will help.

    (I like debian based distro's, the packages are easy to find and install)
    Caulfield Man, Jul 31, 2009

  2. Caulfield Man wrote:
    > Why do you keep using Slackware? Consider this an academic question, so
    > Google can't help, and no I don't think a hard drive format will help.
    >
    > (I like debian based distro's, the packages are easy to find and install)

    Yep I can see the spelling mistake - it's "distros" and I know that this
    package runs on ARM processors.
    Caulfield Man, Jul 31, 2009

  3. Rôgêr wrote:
    > Caulfield Man wrote:
    >> Caulfield Man wrote:
    >>> Why do you keep using Slackware? Consider this an academic question,
    >>> so Google can't help, and no I don't think a hard drive format will
    >>> help.
    >>>
    >>> (I like debian based distro's, the packages are easy to find and
    >>> install)
    >>>

    >> Yep I can see the spelling mistake - it's "distros" and I know that
    >> this package runs on ARM processors.

    > Talk to yourself a lot?

    Ah, a slackware user.
    Caulfield Man, Jul 31, 2009
  4. Caulfield Man

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    Caulfield Man wrote:
    > Why do you keep using Slackware? Consider this an academic question, so
    > Google can't help, and no I don't think a hard drive format will help.
    >
    > (I like debian based distro's, the packages are easy to find and install)

    Probably for the same reason some people like to tinker with old engines
    while I prefer to put mine in a garage for servicing. (Not least because
    there is SFA that I even recognise as a user serviceable part compared
    to my dad's first car.)

    It would be a boring old world if we all liked the same thing.
    Desk Rabbit, Jul 31, 2009
  5. Caulfield Man

    chuckcar Guest

    Caulfield Man <> wrote in news:4a727fa3$:

    > Why do you keep using Slackware? Consider this an academic question, so
    > Google can't help, and no I don't think a hard drive format will help.
    >
    > (I like debian based distro's, the packages are easy to find and
    > install)

    Ease of use is the last reason to use linux - any distribution.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Jul 31, 2009
  6. chuckcar wrote:

    > Caulfield Man wrote:
    >> Why do you keep using Slackware? Consider this an academic question, so
    >> Google can't help, and no I don't think a hard drive format will help.
    >>
    >> (I like debian based distro's, the packages are easy to find and
    >> install)

    > Ease of use is the last reason to use linux - any distribution.

    You haven't used one for awhile, have you?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 31, 2009
  7. Caulfield Man

    Dan C Guest

    On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 15:22:41 +1000, Caulfield Man wrote:

    > Why do you keep using Slackware? Consider this an academic question, so
    > Google can't help, and no I don't think a hard drive format will help.

    Because it works. Because it's "clean".

    > (I like debian based distro's, the packages are easy to find and
    > install)

    Meh.

    Need help? -- http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/ubuntu.jpg
    Get a job! -- http://brandybuck.site40.net/pics/republican.jpg
    Dan C, Jul 31, 2009
  8. Caulfield Man

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    chuckcar wrote:
    > Caulfield Man <> wrote in news:4a727fa3$:
    >
    >> Why do you keep using Slackware? Consider this an academic question, so
    >> Google can't help, and no I don't think a hard drive format will help.
    >>
    >> (I like debian based distro's, the packages are easy to find and
    >> install)
    >>

    > Ease of use is the last reason to use linux - any distribution.

    Only for the terminally inept or those unwilling to open their minds and
    learn.
    Desk Rabbit, Jul 31, 2009
  9. chuckcar <> pinched out a steaming pile

    >> Why do you keep using Slackware? Consider this an academic question,

    so
    >> Google can't help, and no I don't think a hard drive format will

    help.

    >> (I like debian based distro's, the packages are easy to find and
    >> install)
    >>

    >Ease of use is the last reason to use linux - any distribution.

    Kudos!
    I nominate this poast as "best troll of the day".

    <golf clap>

    §ñühw¤£f, Jul 31, 2009
  10. Caulfield Man

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 14:45:27 +0100, Desk Rabbit wrote:

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >> Caulfield Man <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Why do you keep using Slackware? Consider this an academic question,
    >>> so Google can't help, and no I don't think a hard drive format will
    >>> help.
    >>>
    >>> (I like debian based distro's, the packages are easy to find and
    >>> install)
    >>>

    >> Ease of use is the last reason to use linux - any distribution.
    >>

    > Only for the terminally inept or those unwilling to open their minds and
    > learn.

    That just about sums chuckie up, doesn't it.
    Aardvark, Jul 31, 2009
  11. On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 08:13:16 -0400, above the shrieking, whining & FUDding
    of the trolls Beauregard T. Shagnasty was heard to say:

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> Caulfield Man wrote:
    >>> Why do you keep using Slackware? Consider this an academic question,
    >>> so Google can't help, and no I don't think a hard drive format will
    >>> help.
    >>>
    >>> (I like debian based distro's, the packages are easy to find and
    >>> install)

    >> Ease of use is the last reason to use linux - any distribution.

    > You haven't used one for awhile, have you?

    He hasn't, or would not come out with such a crass statement.
    Or perhaps his IQ isn't above room temperature.

    --
    This message was sent from a
    computer which is guaranteed
    William Poaster, Jul 31, 2009
  12. Caulfield Man

    G. Morgan Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:

    >William Poaster wrote:
    >
    >> He hasn't, or would not come out with such a crass statement.
    >> Or perhaps his IQ isn't above room temperature.

    >It's 140 here. Is that good?

    No. 140° is way above room temperature. Turn on the air conditioning.
    G. Morgan, Jul 31, 2009
  13. On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 14:11:17 -0400, above the shrieking, whining & FUDding
    of the trolls Rôgêr was heard to say:

    > William Poaster wrote:
    >
    >> He hasn't, or would not come out with such a crass statement. Or
    >> perhaps his IQ isn't above room temperature.

    > It's 140 here. Is that good?

    You're running a temperature. If just lie down a moment, I can toast
    this bread on you.

    William Poaster, Jul 31, 2009
  14. Caulfield Man

    chuckcar Guest

    "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" <> wrote in

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> Caulfield Man wrote:
    >>> Why do you keep using Slackware? Consider this an academic question,
    >>> so Google can't help, and no I don't think a hard drive format will
    >>> help.
    >>>
    >>> (I like debian based distro's, the packages are easy to find and
    >>> install)

    >> Ease of use is the last reason to use linux - any distribution.

    > You haven't used one for awhile, have you?

    You plainly never *have* or you would have some sort of clue what I was
    referring to. Or you use something breain dead like Ubuntu where you
    didn't even know what window manager you were using.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Aug 1, 2009
  15. chuckcar wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> chuckcar wrote:
    >>> Ease of use is the last reason to use linux - any distribution.

    >> You haven't used one for awhile, have you?
    >>

    > You plainly never *have* or you would have some sort of clue what I
    > was referring to.

    Perhaps then it is because your phraseology sucks.

    > Or you use something breain [sic] dead like Ubuntu where you didn't
    > even know what window manager you were using.

    Ubuntu is not breain dead. In fact, I have converted many Windows users
    because it works so well. I've used RedHat, Fedora, Mandrake, Mandriva,
    Knoppix and a couple others discarded, but now I use Ubuntu because I
    can use the same as I installed on my friends' computers. Makes it
    easier to answer questions if they call. They don't though, because it
    works so smooth.

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 1, 2009