    something MB's is quite a difference, there has to be something missing
    somewhere.

    Any ideas?
    Sseadoubleyou, Feb 10, 2005

  2. Sseadoubleyou wrote:
    > Hey I had a question but I thought I would open a new thread since mine is
    > already burried.
    >
    > I did a test when resaving the videos in movie maker. Keep in mind the
    > original resolution of the video is 720X480. I took a 2 minute video and
    > first resaved it as "DV-AVI (NTSC) 720X480...the file size of the 2 minute
    > movie saved was 285MB! Then I took that same 2 minute video and saved it as
    > the second choice "high quality video (NTSC) 720X480 and that same video
    > size was only 6 something MB's. What I'm confused about is what is the
    > quality difference between those two settings when you save because the
    > quality looks the same to me I can't tell any difference but obviously
    > something must be suffering because a file size of 285MB and then 6
    > something MB's is quite a difference, there has to be something missing
    > somewhere.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    That seems like a LOT of compression. But I don't use Movie Maker, I use
    Vegas Video for most editing/output. I suppose your MM is using a
    powerful codec like Divx or MPEG4. If you can't see the difference, then
    I wouldn't worry about it and use the smaller file size version. But
    don't judge it by just the view on a small preview pane, watch it either
    full screen on a big monitor or on a televison. Also, further editing
    and saving again will have a cumlative effect on compression artifacts.
    So if you're going to redo them later, go with the higher quality.

    For more knowledgeable explanations you might want to pose your question
    in news:rec.video.desktop
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 10, 2005