    then apparently set the same every time that *.EXE is run.

    If you are interested I will post a link!

    Tony. . .
    Tony Sperling, Jun 17, 2008

  2. Tony Sperling

    Frank Kimper Guest

    Thanks Tony. Sounds like it might be helpful.
    My problem with the multiple new hardware messages was just the beginning of
    the problem I posted and I have had to totally reinstall. Charlie's
    suggestion to do a system restore could not be accomplished as I could get
    to no restore points after SP1 was installed. Attempt then totally failed
    with time outs after about 45 minutes. The same happend with trying to
    create restore points. Since I used Acronis to backup, I decided to live
    with it. Over the next weeks, USB devices would not be recognised, if new,
    but old ones could still be removed and reinserted as needed. Eventually
    that started failing and one by one old devices refused to get recognised.
    Carlos' suggestion to install a new set of drivers just caused one more item
    in system devices to become unrecognised. Could not reinstall the old
    drivers for it. At least that one showed up in Device Manager and I could
    flag it not to ask every time the computer started. The other two never
    showed up in Device Manager and there was no way to turn them off as if I
    used the option not to show it again for that device, the system would blue
    screen on the next boot.
    Curiously, the backup I made right after installing SP1 and several months
    before the problems started, had the same problems after restoring it. I
    will probably have my system back the way I want it in a week or so (I
    hope). Since I can't get WLM to reinstall I can't get to old emails with
    the registration numbers I need to get a number of my programs to run.
    The USB problem has shown up on the Vista sites a number of times, but has
    never had a solution posted that I could find. Guess they ended up
    reinstalling also.

    Frank Kimper, Jun 18, 2008