... Attention all users of the Canon Powershot SD800 IS Digital Elph ...

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Thiophilus@photonet.com, Jul 20, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I'm considering buying the SD800 because it is tiny and light, takes
    good pictures, has IS, minimal shutter lag, and has real wide angle.
    Disadvantages include a high price, soft corners at wide angle, and no
    manual exposure, which I think I can live with.

    So I was gradually moving to decide on making this purchase when I
    happened to notice chatter on the web about WHITE SPOTS.

    Apparently the SD800 tends to make photos with out of focus white
    blobs when using the built-in flash. They are apparently caused by
    intense overexposure of airborne dust particles that float around in
    front of the lens.

    Many sub-compacts are afflicted with this problem, and those who have
    the problem seem very frustrated by it. But it seems that the SD800 is
    particularly vulnerable, going by the Web: try entering
    Powershot "white spots"
    into Google and most of the hits are about the SD800.

    Yet many respectable reviewers (dpreview, cnet, Amazon, dcresource)
    don't make any mention of the white spots. So I'm wondering what is
    up. Are all the reports about white spots with the SD800 unfairly
    snowballing after a couple of people reported it, or is this a real
    nuisance to be avoided?

    I would appreciate your opinions on the white spots (and for that
    matter any other problems) with the SD800.

    Thiophilus

    , Jul 20, 2007

  2. wrote:
    []
    > Apparently the SD800 tends to make photos with out of focus white
    > blobs when using the built-in flash. They are apparently caused by
    > intense overexposure of airborne dust particles that float around in
    > front of the lens.

    []
    > Thiophilus

    All cameras do this. The problem is very noticeably worse on cameras
    where (a) the flash is located axially near to the taking lens and (b) the
    sensor size is small, increasing the depth-of-field, and hence making the
    small dust particles less out-of-focus than they would be with a large
    sensor camera.

    The reviewers don't test for this problem. If all compact cameras were
    equally affected, you might still see more hits for Canon if they have the
    greatest number of compact cameras in the field. If the flash is
    particularly near the lens on the SD800, or the SD800 stops down more than
    other cameras, perhaps the problem could be worse on that model.

    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 20, 2007

  3. Morton Guest

    Re: ... Attention all users of the Canon Powershot SD800 IS DigitalElph ...

    wrote:
    > I'm considering buying the SD800 because it is tiny and light, takes
    > good pictures, has IS, minimal shutter lag, and has real wide angle.
    > Disadvantages include a high price, soft corners at wide angle, and no
    > manual exposure, which I think I can live with.
    >
    > So I was gradually moving to decide on making this purchase when I
    > happened to notice chatter on the web about WHITE SPOTS.
    >
    > Apparently the SD800 tends to make photos with out of focus white
    > blobs when using the built-in flash. They are apparently caused by
    > intense overexposure of airborne dust particles that float around in
    > front of the lens.
    >
    > Many sub-compacts are afflicted with this problem, and those who have
    > the problem seem very frustrated by it. But it seems that the SD800 is
    > particularly vulnerable, going by the Web: try entering
    > Powershot "white spots"
    > into Google and most of the hits are about the SD800.
    >
    > Yet many respectable reviewers (dpreview, cnet, Amazon, dcresource)
    > don't make any mention of the white spots. So I'm wondering what is
    > up. Are all the reports about white spots with the SD800 unfairly
    > snowballing after a couple of people reported it, or is this a real
    > nuisance to be avoided?
    >
    > I would appreciate your opinions on the white spots (and for that
    > matter any other problems) with the SD800.
    >
    > Thiophilus

    Hi,

    In several thousand pix with my SD800 IS, I've had only one with that
    notorious white circle. My older Canon SD500 had lots more pix with that
    problem. It's related to the flash's light hitting dust in the air.
    Regarding w/a softness in the corners, my first SD800 had very soft
    corners at w/a. I returned it to the dealer, and got a replacement. The
    replacement's corners were much better. Perhaps quality control, or its
    lack, plays a role here.

    Regards,

    Morton
    Morton, Jul 21, 2007